Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Vibes for Mango Bun

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sarita
      Participant
      18851 posts Send Private Message

Can I please have some vibes for Mango.  I am very concerned about his quality of life right now. 

I have an appointment next Tuesday for his regular vet who is coming back from maternity leave…I’m hoping he will be fine until then.  I really want my regular vet’s good advice and support rather than making a rash decision.

I have taken him off his pain meds for a few days to see what happens and have started him on cosequin.  I want to see if the pain meds are making things worse or better and at this point I cannot tell.

I was crying on Friday night because when I came home he was again leaning on his litter box asleep.   It seems like this is the only position he is comfortable in. 

The last few mornings he has been just lying down but not moving either. 

My thougts are if the pain meds aren’t helping and are upsetting his stomach and not having the pain meds is obviously not going to help with his pain then I need to make some kind of decision as I don’t want him to be in pain.  He is now 9 years old and has had arthrtis since he was 4 years old but this year has been by far the worst for him.  I don’t want to let him suffer.  He is eating but I know that is not a sign of a rabbit who feels good as I’ve experienced this with my other rabbits who also were suffering with their quality of life.

• kralspace
        Participant
        2663 posts Send Private Message

aaawwwww, Sarita, I’m sorry you’re having to go through this again. Your bunnies are so very lucky to have you. We send you all the healing vibes and hugs in the world, please let us know how you both are doing.
          hugs and love, Kathy

• Elrohwen
          Participant
          7318 posts Send Private Message

Vibes to Mango, and hugs to you. Going through the stages with elderly pets is so hard, but I know you’ll make the right decision when the time comes.

• Ms-Read-A-Lot
            Participant
            50 posts Send Private Message

My daughter and I are sending lots of healing vibes Mango’s way. Best of luck Sarita. Please update often.

• Sam and Lady's Human
              Participant
              2001 posts Send Private Message

Oh Sarita Vibes for Mango!!! And please do update us often!

• emkvet
                Participant
                372 posts Send Private Message

Health and healing vibes to Mango, and peaceful ones to you, Sarita. I hope everything goes well for you!

• bullrider76543
                  Participant
                  1288 posts Send Private Message

vibes and prayers sending your way.

• LBJ10
                    16908 posts Send Private Message

Poor Mango! I hope he feels better soon!

• Stickerbunny
                      Participant
                      4128 posts Send Private Message

So sorry Mango is not feeling well, hope your vet has some good advice for you. (((VIBES TO MANGO)))

• SugarbearNPepper
                        Participant
                        310 posts Send Private Message

So sorry to hear… Best wishes to YOU and Healing Vibes to Mango!!!

• Monkeybun
                          Participant
                          10479 posts Send Private Message

Poor littel guy Hope he feels better soon!

• MimzMum
                            Participant
                            8029 posts Send Private Message

Oh Sarita, I’m sorry to hear Mango is not doing well. I always think of Mimzy when you post about him, Mimz sleeps with his head resting on his litter box all the time too. It is really hard to tell, unless he is obviously hunched, that he is having pain. I kind of have to judge by his expression and how uncomfortable I am with the day’s weather changes and such to get a better read on him.
                              It’s my understanding that cosequin is something that takes weeks to show improvement. Has he ever been on it before?
                              We’ll send some huge feel better vibes to dear Mango and strengthening vibes for you. We’re thinking of you! (((((((((((((((((Sarita & Mango))))))))))))))))))

• Michelle&Lolli
                              Participant
                              2347 posts Send Private Message

(((((Hugs for you both!)))))

• bunnyfriend
                                Participant
                                2368 posts Send Private Message

I’m so so sorry  ((((((((healing vibes for Mango))))))))

• jerseygirl
                                  22345 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry you are facing this again after the losses from your bun family.
                                    {{{{{{{{Mango and Sarita!}}}}}}}}}}}}}

• Sarita
                                    Participant

Thanks everyone. I picked poor Mango up this morning and he was soaked in urine. I felt awful – I took him into let another one of the vets look at him. I hate to see him this way – he has to be very uncomfortable.

• RabbitPam
                                      11002 posts Send Private Message

{{{{{{{{{{{Healing vibes for Mango}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Oh, Sarita, I just saw this.
                                        I’m glad you took him in anyway. Didn’t you once use an acupuncturist or someone like that with (was it Maxine?) a bunny that got some relief from an untraditional treatment? Any chance of that?

I hope it’s something as simple as just changing his pain meds so he can come home and rest comfortably. Hang in there.

• Sarita
                                        Participant

The vet who did the acupuncture moved to Colorado – she did say on his last treatment, he didn’t want to be messed with. We did try the laser therapy with Maxine and it worked temporarily – the vet had borrowed the laser machine though and never did end up buying one for their practice.

I guess it’s just wait and see if the vet has any recommendations. I just don’t want him to suffer when there is no solution to truly ease his pain and he cannot live soaked in urine either.

• Sarita
                                          Participant

So, the vet just called me and we are going to try amantadine. He says he has used it successfully in dogs to help treat pain along with metacam and has read about anecdotal use in rabbits. I think I’m willing to give this a try since every thing else has not worked.

So we will see…

• jerseygirl

Goodluck!

{{{{{Mango}}}}}

• Ms-Read-A-Lot
                                              Participant
                                              50 posts Send Private Message

Good luck! Stay strong!

• kralspace
                                                Participant

((((((((((((((((healing vibes and lucky bunny feeties))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• MimzMum
                                                  Participant

More healing vibes for Mango bun! (((((((((((vibes))))))))))))) Hugs for you, Sarita, it’s so hard when we see our buns having these troubles. I hope the new medicine works out for him.

• peppypoo
                                                    Participant
                                                    1945 posts Send Private Message

Oh no, I hope things work out for Mango!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                      Participant
                                                      12067 posts Send Private Message

{{Vibes}} Hope the new meds work

• Nova
                                                        Participant
                                                        220 posts Send Private Message

Awwww poor lil guy, he is so lucky to have such a caring and informed human
                                                          Some pain meds that work in the central nervous system can actually cause rebound pain if the animal becomes physically dependent on them, but I dunno much about bunny pain meds. (((healing vibes for Mango))))

• kralspace
                                                          Participant

How is Mango today, Sarita?

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                            18092 posts Send Private Message

(((((((Mango)))))))

((((((Hugs to Sarita))))))))

• Sarita
                                                              Participant

Kathy, the meds are special order and I am supposed to get it today.

It’s funny, he moves very little still but when I pick him up to clean him and give him his metacam, he can still kick, struggle and wiggle.

Thanks for the continued vibes.

• RabbitPam

We like wiggling.

More {{{{{{{{{{{Healing vibes for Mango}}}}}}}}} just in case.

• Sarita
                                                                  Participant

Just got the Amantadine and it’s marshmallow flavor – I hope he likes it.

I looked up some info on this drug and it is used to treat Parkinson’s disease and conditions similar to Parkinson’s and the flu…it is suppose to block chronic pain in dogs so we’ll see how effective it is for rabbits. I hope it works.

• BinkyBunny
                                                                    8776 posts Send Private Message

Oh Sarita, I am so sorry. It is absolutely torture to see our bunnies in any sort of anguish or discomfort. I do understand. I also hope the Amantadine helps. Sending pain relief and comfort vibes to Mango (and you too as I know this isn’t easy).

• kralspace
                                                                      Participant

Bottoms up, Mango! Take the nice medicine.

• Sarita
                                                                        Participant

Well, I’m trying to stay hopeful but today, he’s all scrunched over his litter box again…it reminds me of my grandmother who had osteoarthritis and was hunched over when she got older. He’s doing the litter box hunch again and I know that is because it’s most comfortable for him.

I was watching him get back to his space after his pain meds today and he’s just all scrunched in a humpback, kind of like my grandma was. I didn’t think of this until today.

I am going to give this medicine the two weeks but I’m preparing myself if I decide it’s time to let him go to the Bridge. I cannot let him suffer and would much rather make a decision before he becomes too incapacitated. I think that’s my responsibility as his owner to make sure he doesn’t suffer.

• MimzMum
                                                                          Participant

Oh Sarita, I’m sorry to hear this.
                                                                            More vibes coming for Mango. I hope something changes for the better soon!
                                                                            (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Mango))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• kralspace
                                                                            Participant

oh Sarita, I was so hoping he’d be better today. I know how agonizing it is to watch them slide and know you might have to decide before too long. You know we’re all thinking and praying for you and a miracle for Mango. Keep us posted.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                              Moderator

I’m sorry to hear he’s still having a hard time. We’re all hoping for a miracle and that he gets better. **HUGS**

((((((Mango)))))))))

• RabbitPam
                                                                                Moderator

Is Mango showing any signs of improvement today from the new meds?

• Sarita
                                                                                  Participant

Thanks everyone. I was reading up on this medication and apparently it can take up to 2 weeks to show any signs of improvement…so I guess I need to just wait out the 2 weeks from the day I got the medication.

So far though, it’s not working, he’s still all hunched over all the time on his litter box.

• Michelle&Lolli
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                    2347 posts Send Private Message

((((Hugs and healing vibes))))

• ScooterandAnnette
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                      1090 posts Send Private Message

((( VIBES FOR MANGO BUN )))

It’s so tough when they’re not well Definitely give the meds more time to see if they do anything. My aunt was given anxiety meds for her dog and she was saying how they didn’t do anything for him and hadn’t made any difference. I asked how long he’d been on them and she said oh she just gave them to him the one day. Not sure what she was expecting was going to happen in one day. Not saying that’s what you’re doing with Mango, just that often these things don’t work as quickly as we’d like them to.
                                                                                        – Annette

• Eepster
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                        1236 posts Send Private Message

{{{hug}}} for Mango.

Maybe try giving him a hot water bottle to snuggle up to. Warmth is good for arthritis in people, so maybe it will do the same for a bunny.

• Sarita
                                                                                          Participant

Well, the vet said he thought the new medication should be working and to try taking the metacam and amatadine together and see how that works. If not we will try one more thing.

Apparently he thinks Ms. Toffee has a pulled muscle as well so were going to try Metacam on her…thankfully it’s not arthritis…could explain why she’s eating significantly less. I have no idea how she could have done this, but she is old so she may be becoming more frail.

• RabbitPam
                                                                                            Moderator

I just heaved a big sigh reading that.
                                                                                              Tell Ms. Toffee to just relax and be a comfy pillow for Mango until the meds kick in.
                                                                                              Hang in there, Sarita. {{Hug}}

• jerseygirl
                                                                                              Moderator

What med was Mango on prior to this? Banamine?

Apparently he thinks Ms. Toffee has a pulled muscle as well so were going to try Metacam on her…thankfully it’s not arthritis…could explain why she’s eating significantly less. I have no idea how she could have done this, but she is old so she may be becoming more frail.

Goodness. I’ve been on same train of thought re Jersey. I never figured out how she got a sprain a few months back and I’ve seen her favour the leg since. Last night she was again. Could Ms Toffee have done something at another time and the old injury flares up?
                                                                                                {{{Ms Toffee, Mango, Sarita}}}

• Sarita
                                                                                                Participant

Thanks for listening to my ramblings about Mango. It’s good therapy for me to discuss his condition. Today I’ve been very pleased because he’s not hanging over the litter box…that really upsets me because it’s not natural and looks desperate and not comfortable.

I am feeling a little more hopeful that he is at least comfortable for now. Tomorrow could be different but for today, I’m not so sad.

Ms. Toffee seems okay and is doing her garden rabbit pose with the legs kicked out back so I’m thinking she’s feeling better with the pain meds.

• Sarita
                                                                                                  Participant

Ugh…so I go upstairs to check on him and he’s hanging over the litterbox…I spoke too soon. I knew one day would not dictate how he was really doing.

• bunnyfriend
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                    2368 posts Send Private Message

Awh I’m sorry 

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                      Moderator

Know that I have you and Mango in my thoughts, Sarita.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Feel Better Mango))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))   Hope my vibes reach you all the way over there.

• MimzMum
                                                                                                        Participant

Perhaps he’s just cycling the meds through too quickly. Everybun is different, he may need a dose adjustment.
                                                                                                          More vibes coming for all of you! ((((((((((((((((((vibes))))))))))))))))))))

• Sarita
                                                                                                          Participant

MM, I think you may be correct – I did speak with the vet and he told me to do both the metacam and the new drug at the same time and now it does seem to be working. He has horribly crusty eyes though…going to speak w/the vet on Tuesday when I take him and Toffee back for a recheck. He’s not doing the laying over the litter box the past few days…does he feel better? That I’m not totally positive about but it does seem that for new he is eating more.

• Kate Monster
                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                            550 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry to hear that, vibes for Mango and Toffee and hugs to you!

• lashkay
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                              1548 posts Send Private Message

Recovery vibes to Mango and Toffee!

• jerseygirl
                                                                                                                Moderator

It does sound like you’re seeing a change. Even though you have still seen him over the litterbox, it is less of the time right?
                                                                                                                  Stay positive!

• RabbitPam
                                                                                                                  Moderator

It sounds to me like he’s showing some improvement also, as well as Toffee. I know that any of us, if we have a limb that tends to soreness, usually get some relief with pain meds and restiing it. I think she did that.

{{{{{{{{Hugs to Mango and Toffee, and you of course}}}}}}}}}}}}

• mindy10
                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                    208 posts Send Private Message

Im so sorry your going through this.  It never is an easy decision.  I know when I had to put my 16 year old dog down due to no quality of life I just woke up one morning and said today is the day this is it.  Enough is enough.  So you will know when the time is right.  Sending thoughts and prayers you and Mangos way.

• BinkyBunny
                                                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                                                      8776 posts Send Private Message

I know that feeling of things going well, and as soon as you speak the words, it feels like ya jinxed when you see something negative happening.  Hate that!

Hopefully it was just a little downer on a generally positive recovery.   I’m sending out continued healing vibes for Mango. 

Viewing 56 reply threads
                                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Vibes for Mango Bun