Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Vet checking for malocclusion

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lisa_43
      Participant
      1499 posts Send Private Message
        When is a good time to take baby rabbits for a vet check? (Now 3 weeks old)

I have been reading up on malocclusion and I spoke to the Western Australian rabbit society. The lady I spoke to said if any of the babies have malocclusion the kindest thing to do would be to euthinise them.

The cost of fixing it here is really expensive; I am getting worried as I don’t want this to happen to any of them.
        Also any idea’s on the age a vet can tell what sex they are?

I have also been told to separate M/F at 12 weeks of age, does that sound right?
        Hopefully before that time they will have new homes.

• MarkBun
        Participant
        2842 posts Send Private Message

I disagree about the malocclusion. There are two seperate ways to deal with this. One is to have the teeth continuously trimmed every 4-6 weeks. However, this can be quite demanding. Another choice is to have the front teeth removed. Although it sounds terrible, the only impact that this has on the bun’s life is that they will need to have their vegetables cut up for them. They can eat hay and pellets just fine. This surgery however costs around $600-$800 in the US. Also, depending on the breed can increase or decrease the possibility of the problem. Dwarf breeds are a little more prone to it than others.

Bunnies should be seperated slightly earlier than 12 weeks. That is the average as to when the male’s testicles descend but females are fertile by that time so if one of the baby boys is an early bloomer, you could have a problem. I would say 8 weeks – and that is usually when bunnies can be weaned off of mama. A vet can determine sex after 3 weeks but you might want to wait until 5 weeks so that things are more pronounced. If the vet isn’t familiar with rabbits, they could get it wrong.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

yes, i agree with markusdark… i’d wait a little bit later… maybe 5 or 6 weeks, right before they’re going to be weaned off of mom, and take them to the vet to get checked for teeth, general health, and sex all at the same time.

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

I agree with taking them in a little later. However, will you be able to remember who is what sex after the vet visit? I know I might have a hard time if I were a new bun mum. I am wondering what you can do in order to be able to remember their sexes when they reach 8 weeks. Are you comfortable sexing them yourself?

• Lisa_43
              Participant
                The lady from the rabbit society told me how to sex them but I don’t think I could do it so I would rather take them to the vet.
                I have two cat crates one blue the other brown so I will put all the males in the blue one.
                I am sure I will remember the white and brown ones as they are all different but the 2 brown ones are identical so that will be hard.

I had been told to separate male and female at 8 weeks so I shouldn’t have a problem if I bring them straight back from the vet and put the males in one home and the females in the other.
                She also told me at 8 weeks mum should be separated from all her babies and that is when they can be placed in new homes.

Any info on this will be appreciated.
                I believe their survival has been through the help I have been getting on here.
                Thankyou.

• MarkBun
                Participant
                2842 posts Send Private Message

I would suggest looking at the inside of the brown bunny ears. Sometimes you can tell the bunnies apart by the veins in the ears. Or you could ask the vet to tattoo a small dot inside one of their ears to tell them apart.

• Lisa_43
                  Participant

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea.

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Awe Lisa, that is so sweet of you to say! But without you they would definately not have had a chance.

• Gravehearted
                      Participant
                      2428 posts Send Private Message

I would likely wait a lil while too. It seems very extreme to recommend euthanasia for malocclusion!

I remember a litter of eight rescue babies and we needed to keep careful track and weigh them daily. So, we made a list and tried to find a defining characteristic for each (like two black front paws or white spot on nose, etc) to help us tell them apart. You could also take a photo of each of them and write the name on it. Just make sure you bring your list to the vet when you take them in to be sexed. 🙂

• osprey
                        Participant
                        2065 posts Send Private Message

Another trick with litters is to "label" the boys somehow, so you’ll remember which are which.  We usually put a dot of ink inside the ear, or even better, an letter indicating the name of the bun.  We have one litter now of 5 all black boys.  The only way to tell them apart (unless you know their personalities well) is to check the letter inside the ear.  Sometimes we also apply a little nail polish to a nail on the boys’ front feet.  It has to be something that dries relatively quickly.

Gravehearted’s suggestion of bringing a list is spot on.  Find any distinguishing characteristic, and list the buns by that.  Then when you know the boys and girls, and mark the boys, you’ll have a better chance of knowing who’s who.

• Lisa_43
                          Participant

Thanks for all the great ideas.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Vet checking for malocclusion