Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Very young lone bunny

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Paylo
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi guys! I’m totally new here. But i recently found a baby bunny in a box at the laundromat in my apartment complex. I took Her because i panicked! She still had hay and water in the box so i can Only assume i found her right after they dropped her off. Written on the box it said please take us we have no home and i really didn’t want her to die or end up in the hands of a small child.
        I think i have Pretty good knowledge of bunny care but I’m kind of freaking out because she looks to be VERY young. My best guess would be 2-3 weeks old!! I googled and saw that bunnies should NOT Be separated from their mother until about 8 weeks old. I’m really worried she might die due to depression or anything else! Like lack of affection from her mother.
        I tried talking to my local shelter but they said they were at full capacity and to just give her alfalfa hay and water. So i did get some alfalfa hay. She seems to acting pretty normal but any info or anything Will help, what should I do?

• Bunny House
        Participant
        1241 posts Send Private Message

Can you take her to a rabbit savvy vet? Only rabbit savvy vet because they can’t be treated like a dog or a cat. And to me it seems like an emergency so see if you can find an emergency vet that is rabbit savvy because it should still be in milk since they shouldn’t be on hay this early. The gut flora is not built enough to consume hay yet.

• Bam
          16877 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for taking this bunny in!

It the age of 2-3 weeks, the bun should still be getting milk from its mum, but it should have started too eat solids as well. As BH says, the gut flora is very sensitive during this stage, and it would be good to supplement the food with a probiotic. Benebac is a much used probiotic suitable for buns.

Hopefully, this little one is 3 weeks old, because until 2 weeks they rely solely on their mother’s milk, then they start eating solids as well.

You could treat your bun as an orphaned bun, here’s some tips about that: http://rabbit.org/faq-orphaned-baby-bunnies/

(The article starts out with a lot of info about wild orphaned buns, you can obviously scroll down to the advice that apply to your situation).

• tobyluv
            Participant
            3310 posts Send Private Message

You can research what wildlife rehab groups are in your area and contact them for advice. They often take in orphaned baby rabbits and care for them until they can be released. Even though you have a domestic rabbit, they could still tell you a good diet to feed it, and should have some care tips for you.

I don’t know if a bunny this age would need kitten replacement milk or some other replacement milk. If so, the rehabbers could tell you the best ones to get. Several years ago, someone brought in a wild baby rabbit to the Rabbit Sanctuary where I volunteer. We didn’t have knowledge of orphaned baby bunnies, but they told us what to feed. One thing they said to feed was to mix powdered goat’s milk, baby rice cereal and ground up pellets. We had to go to a natural food store to find the powdered goat’s milk.

Thank you for taking in this bunny.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Very young lone bunny