Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Very worried – Stormy doesnt want his hay

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • LittlePuffyTail
      18092 posts Send Private Message

Please help. My mini rex Stormy, the absolute light of my life, has been acting funny. I ran out of hay and had to buy another brand the other day (a brand I used to feed him a while back and he loved) and he wouldnt eat it hardly at all. So 2 days ago I bought his normal brand and he still doesnt want to eat it. To me he seems strange and a bit depressed but he’s been eating all his pellets and veggies and is still excited over treats.

I’m sort of a hypochondriac with my buns cuz I had two buns die quite young and it’s devastating when they get sick. Im sick with worry! Help!

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

How does his litterbox look? What does the poo look like? Has he been into anything, what has changed in his environment? Is he drinking normally? Hopefully we can figure it out. : )

• LittlePuffyTail

I checked his litter box this a.m. and his poops are about the same amount but a bit smaller and darker. He ate all his breakfast. He hasnt gotten into anything and his environment is the same.

• LittlePuffyTail

I just got home today and he had some teeny tiny poops and a couple of cecotropes. I’m so worried. What should I do?

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant

Oh boy, he may have an impaction in his stomach OR it may be because he hasn’t had any fiber (no hay). At this point I would take him to the vet to make sure there isn’t a blockage. Take a peek at the “In Love With Pellets” discussion as there are many ideas there to get yoru bunny to eat hay. If he doesn’t have a bockage, feed him kale (it’s high in fiber and nutrients) and shoudl get his gut going. When a bunnys’ gut stops mocing, that is a bad thing. In order for them to stay healthy it needs to keep moving and that is why they forage all day and why hay is so very important.

• skunklionshow
                Participant
                1257 posts Send Private Message

Leo was on motility meds for a long time b/c he wasn’t eating his hay & veggies.  His teeth were the primary culprit.  His poops were much smaller and dark.  The vet gave me the meds to keep his tummy moving despite not eating his hay & ruffage.  Talk to your vet ASAP.  You don’t want your baby losing weight and then haveing to work like a dog to get it back on him!  Don’t worry I call the vet over hypchrondriac issues…I figure better safe than sorry!

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant

Skunklionshow, I realized I had left out the teeth part and came back to edit and lo an behold you posted about it!  So, thank you!

• LittlePuffyTail

Stormy seems to be eating more hay today and last night. He’s got 3 diff types to chose from. And he is as hungry as ever for treats and his pellets and veggies. He is pooping almost normal size today but they are like blackish colour where as my other bun is eating the same stuff and is pooping light brown colour. He is feeling fine It looks like though. Tonight and last night when he was out for his run, I dont think Ive ever seen so many binkies and sprints in my life! I’m still keeping a close eye on him though.

• Gravehearted
                      Participant
                      2428 posts Send Private Message

oo glad to hear he’s interested in the hay again and that his poops are gaining size again. my initial thought was his teeth too, since buns that tend to eat everything but hay are sometimes having tooth issues. it sounds like he may have been having some minor tummy problem, but is feeling better now. it’s good that you’re keeping an eye on his food intake and litterbox.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Very worried – Stormy doesnt want his hay