Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Very strange behavior…Nipple biting(human)?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • The Rabbit
      Participant
      183 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been a bit embarrassed to ask about this but…My male neutered rabbit, Pixel, bites nipples. I have to be very careful. He loves to snuggle up against my chest, and several times he’s reached out and bit me, directly on the nipple. It’s rather painful. I usually make a sound of pain and put him in his cage. It’s not often, and I can usually tell when it will happen because he started licking the area determindly. I thought it was just if I wasn’t wearing a bra, but he did it once with it on.Until recently I was the only person he’d let hold him.  My boyfriend came to stay,  and he started using him as a means of comfort when our new bunny, Zelda was acting up. Yesterday, he hopped on his lap, and began to snuggle him. Then he reached up, and bit his nipple rather hard.

as you can see this is a bit of a problem, and really, really embarrassing. He did this in front of my mother once. She thinks maybe it brings out feelings of his mother, or maybe he associates me with his mother. I have no clue, and I’d really like some help

Thanks guys.

• RabbitPam
        11002 posts Send Private Message

That does sound painful, and I understand your embarrassment. Not to worry, though.

You probably need to make the habit unappealing. He gives you indications that he’s about to, which is good, because that’s when you need to stop him before he does it. My thoughts on a few things you can try:
          High pitched squeal from you when he bites sounds like a bunny in pain, so if he chomps, definitely do that. Not loud, but high. Your boyfriend can do that too, if he gets bitten suddenly. Then take him off of your lap.

If he starts to kiss you (the licking on your clothes or skin), gently turn his face away and even move him around on your chest so he faces away from you, rather than allowing him to continue to touch your skin. You can then give him face rubs, but with his back or side to you. I am thinking that if you both distract him from it, and reward him for being in a different position, he will learn that facing away will be rewarded, but licking you will not.

They don’t react well to punishment, so a firm “No” when he licks you may stop him, but nothing more serious than that. You can then reposition him.
          His motivation is irrelevant as he gets older, so you just want to stop unwanted behaviors and substitute better ones. He wants to cuddle and you do too, so he needs to be redirected.

Another option is to shift him up to your shoulder when he starts to seem interested in your chest. Get your hand firmly supporting his backside while his paws rest on your shoulder. Your chest will become more of a platform for him to stand on, rather than a source of interest.
          Of course, wearing a shirt and trimming his nails will be less painful as well.

• PrincessCharming
          Participant
          30 posts Send Private Message

Kai used to do this too! I always think he was just a pervert hehe.

• kralspace
            Participant
            2663 posts Send Private Message

ouch! I know how you feel, my Lola is a Boob Biter, big time. I guess she had figured out that was a really effective way to get someone to put her down. When we picked her up she’d snuggle for just a few seconds, then whip that head around and nail you, sometimes hanging on and shaking her head like a dog….lol. My son thought it was really funny until she got him!

Like RabbitPam suggests, we now hold her differently with her facing away from us, although she’s pretty determined sometimes to squirm around and get one in. I also have a canvas apron I put on to protect me a bit.

You should see us do her nails, it’s like a combat game. My son puts on a long sleeved denim shirt backwards, then the apron and sometimes my gardening gloves and keeps her against his chest, facing outward so I can trim the nails. We’re cooing and petting her and she’s trying to attack like a rabid raccoon….lol.

awwww, bunnies, such timid woodland creatures….

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

Well obviously rabbits don’t know these are nipples and usually you do hold them at this height so you have to learn to hold them away from you.

It does hurt but I don’t think they are trying to injure you – it’s there, they are perturbed you are holding them and then they bite.

• bunnytowne
                Participant
                7537 posts Send Private Message

Rabbitpam that is excellent advice.  I did that with Ruby til she learned to stop biting me. 

The Rabbit yes that is rather embarrassing isn’t it.    Reminds me when I had a little kitten.  I would sleep with it.  I woke up a couple of times with it biting on my nipple.   He was put on the floor and I didnt’ sleep with him til he got older and stopped this annoying behavior.   He was small and couldn’t jump onto the bed yet so sticking him on the floor worked good

• The Rabbit
                  Participant
                  183 posts Send Private Message

Thanks guys. I feel so much better. I thought I was alone, lol. I’ll take your advice.

• Mother-of-Bunnies
                    Participant
                    1 posts Send Private Message

Minx, and before Minx, Bubby did the same thing. BUT!!! I wasn’t holding them. They will run up out of the blue and bite my nipple. WHY

• LBJ10
                        16897 posts Send Private Message

Welcome to BB! I just wanted to let you know that this is a very old thread (11 years) and the OP has not been active for a very long time. If you read this thread, you will see that this isn’t an uncommon issue and that the rabbit probably doesn’t understand what they are biting exactly. I’m going to lock this thread so to not cause confusion for others. If you would like to start a new thread to explain what you’re experiencing and ask a question about it, you’re more than welcome to. 🙂

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • The topic ‘Very strange behavior…Nipple biting(human)?’ is closed to new replies.

Forum BEHAVIOR Very strange behavior…Nipple biting(human)?