Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Veggies????

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
    • Carolyn
      Participant
      95 posts Send Private Message

Hey everyone!!!,

I have a quick guestion, How much on adverage do you spend in buying your bunnies veggies every week???…or two weeks??……and what is your bunnies favorit veggie???….my bunnies love mint…

I want to know if I’m crazy or not. Right now I llive in an appartment  and  have no where to grow my own veggies. So we are spending about $20 in veggies a week for my four bunnies . My bunnies get a good verity veggies. I think they are spolied, We try not to buy too much so  it  dose not go to wast, They eat  90% by the end of the week.

We are hoping to move into a house in the next year, give or take. Then at that time I’m going to try and grow some of it myself

• Floppy
        Participant
        490 posts Send Private Message

hahaha…bunnies being spoiled!?!?! imagine that! Hmmm I spend about $7.00 every 1.5 weeks?
          I try to get 2-3 different veggies/herbs a week for variety. It varies but one thing is always constant…
          and that is dandelion which I often get at for 1.99 Maybe it costs you more since you live in Ontario?
          I also get mint, cilantro, italian parsley, basil, red leaf, and sometimes kale…i’ve reduce the kale since
          I heard its not good to always feed my bun that. Usually the veggies/herbs cost anywhere from .69-1.99

• Lisa_43
          Participant
          1499 posts Send Private Message

I am not sure what I spend but it is a lot of money.

My bunnies get a variety of veggies but their favorite is Chicory.

• kimberleyanddarren
            Participant
            2520 posts Send Private Message

i spend about 3/4ish pounds (uk) on my bunny per week but i only have one i try to shop in the evening because alot of things like parsley are usually down to like 20p for a huge bag as they are trying to get rid of it and it doesnt go off very quickly so i bargin shop hehe

• Carolyn
              Participant
              95 posts Send Private Message

my veggies cost between $0.99 to $1.99 and I buy serval differnet veggies so they have a wide rang of things to eat all week. They get three diffent veggies every day but the same ones I buy week after week. It dosn’t help we have a bearded dragon (lizard) that needs certen veggies too…I’m sure I can cut what I spend in half… I’m not complaning about how much I spend. I was just wondering what people spend on adverage.

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

hmmm.  i buy veggies for Meadow every five days, and i spend between 5 and 8 bucks on average every five days… so *grabbing calculator*

between 365 and 584 dollars a year… equaling out to approximately $7-$11 a week 

this is for one bunny.  i always give her endive and some kind of herb, either parsley (she likes curly) or cilantro.  i will rotate the 3rd and 4th veggies each week, and i occasionally (once every 3-4 weeks) introduce something new.  i got her red leaf lettuce last night and she seems to like it.  she loves watercress, escarole, carrot tops, dandelion.

• JK
                  Participant
                  2223 posts Send Private Message

Wow. Never added it up but I try to buy organic things as much as I can.  $1.99 for mint. $3.99 for spring mix. Parsley, chard and romaine. A carrot slice and apple slice he loves  a couple times a week.  That doesn’t count in cost because we eat those things! Mmmm I guess it does add up to about $8/week?  He’s worth it.  That’s two lattes around here. It’s funny I’m more concerned about his “salad” than my own!

Edited: Oh and that’s for one bunny!

• bunnytowne
                    Participant
                    7537 posts Send Private Message

well I don’t know. sometimes my hubby brought home lots of lettuce romaine. it lasted long long time. I had frigie fulll of it 3 weeks ago. oh and wehre I moved the food bank gave a lady soem butter lettuce with the root still attached. cool. I gave some to cotton and he doesn’t like it it is 4.00 a head at publix. expensive lettuce and he doens’t even eat it. gee whiz. heheee. oh well. I am enjoying it. I sit and eat the leaves plain when I don’t feel like making a salad. normally cotton runs over to see waht I am eating and if he can have soem too. I dont’ mind sharing. however when I put it in a bowl and dress it up I have to get his seperate all that olive oil and vinegar can’t be good for a bun and I am not about to find out either. so I give him his own when I dress mine up heheee. he doesn’t seem to like mint. I give him parsley and cilantro he enjoys those a lot. I hope hubby comes with lettuce again tomorrow. we all will be eating healthy heheeee

• bunnytowne
                      Participant
                      7537 posts Send Private Message

oh I meant  to say I didnt’ buy the lelttuce I think he gets it from the vegie man who sells and has left over or maybe he buys and sells at his place of worship and what is left over he brings home and I am not complaining.

• KatnipCrzy
                        Participant
                        2981 posts Send Private Message

I can’t wait to be able to go to the Farmer’s Market again this summer.  2 days a week- Wednesday and Sunday.  Can’t beat local fruits and veggies!

But since this is winter I buy what looks freshest at the grocery store and keep it in the “green bags” to keep it fresher longer.  the bags really do work and are worth the money to buy!  I only have 1 young bunny that I am adding veggies to her diet- so I need to go slow- so I am not using all the frisee bunch or parsley in 1 week.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14948821

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant
                          4293 posts Send Private Message

I spend about $10-$15 a week on veggies depending on what I get. Kale and parsely aren’t so expensive but the baby arugula and baby mix lettuce is a tad pricier.

• Sarita
                            Participant
                            18851 posts Send Private Message

Well, quite a bit since I have 11 rabbits. I go to Costco or Sams for Organic Spring Mix, Romaine, and Green Leaf Lettuce.

The prices at Central Market are pretty good right now for Cilantro and Flat Leaf Parsley and I do get fresh herbs too. They seem to give generous bunches that aren’t skimpy like some other markets. It also seems like they don’t sell these types of herbs/veggies at the Farmers Markets either.

I’ve tried my local Fiesta and I didn’t care for the selection but the price is good and I really need to try it again – either it was this particular store or the time of day that I went.

I’ve looked around at Krogers and Tom Thumb and Albertsons but the selection is not good and the prices are not good which surprised me.

• JK
                              Participant

Oh lordy 11 rabbits! Are you the one that gets up at 5:00am like me to clean and feed them? And you have the spotless area for them? I’m pooped at cleaning up after only one!!

• RabbitPam
                                11002 posts Send Private Message

bunnytowne, I bought Spockie veggies regularly at Publix too.

A fresh head of Romaine, or of Green Leaf lettuce, usually lasted about a week. He also loved: baby carrots, golden delicious apples, bananas, grapes and pieces of fat free saltine crackers for treats. (Yes, a real fruit eater with a sweet tooth.) Since I ate the same foods too, it didn’t go to waste.
                                  And he hated hay! I tried to get him to eat more than a few bites for 8 years. It was in his house every day without fail, and fresh too, but I threw out more hay than I ever saw him eat. (He was large but not fat.) He ate Timothy Hay pellets instead.

• JK
                                  Participant

Oooh I would not give a bun saltines under any circumstances. Processed foods are not at all good for a bun’s diet! And fruit…just a sliver a couple times a week because of the high sugar!

• DawnT
                                    Participant
                                    187 posts Send Private Message

What is a green bag I have a food saver and I have been putting Oreo’s veggies in there.  Currently she is eating parsely, collard greens and she gets 2 table spoons of pure pumpkin in a can once a week.  She loves it.  Prior to talking to Animal Friends (PA)  I was giving her yogurt drops as a treat and they said that it wasn’t good for her.  The veggies are like a treat to her since she hand fed. 

• Gravehearted
                                      Participant
                                      2428 posts Send Private Message

I think we spend at least $15 – $20 a week for our three bunnies. Farmer’s Market is the best, since I can usually score very fresh and big bunches of things for much lower prices.

• Floppy
                                        Participant
                                        490 posts Send Private Message

farmers market? do you go to the one in campbell?  sadly I usually don’t wake up early enough…

but if they have fresh bunches of dandelion…then I might try to make it out there…dandelion is floppys

fave…He loves it as much as I love rice! I heard Kale isn’t good to give all the time? I read that somewhere

so I haven’t given him Kale in awhile…Costco is great for romaine…and another question…so if the bags

say “Spring Mix” everything in it should be safe for buns? I haven’t tried getting those because I like

adding in whatever I get for the week…and I feel like I know what Floppy’s eating…

• osprey
                                          Participant
                                          2065 posts Send Private Message

I feed my guys the spring mix from Costco too.  It contains some spinach, which some lists warn you to stay away from (oxalates?  not sure).  Most of it is lettuces, and I supplement it with parsley or cilantro.

• skunklionshow
                                            Participant
                                            1257 posts Send Private Message

I’m itching for summer’s farmer’s market.  The veggies are way bigger there and I can usually get freebies from my regular farmers.  I’m going to guess that I spend about $10/ wk for 2 rabbits.  Possibly more if I get some of the more expensive goodies (i.e. escarole, arugula, etc).  Lately, we’ve been able to get the large bags of cleaned greens.  I can’t remember the brand, but they’re pre-chopped & cleaned.  Its a huge bag and it lasts the week….maybe they’re “Glory” brand.  They sell them at the ACME, which is the same as Jewel & Albertson’s.  Jessica is a real chow hound for Kale (she doesn’t understand that she can only eat this is limited quantity).  Leo LOVES romaine.  It makes me laugh how unique and different they are.  I use the green bags too!  The veggies are supposed to last longer in the green bags.  I do green bags in the produce drawer of the refrigerator.

• Deleted User
                                              Participant
                                              22064 posts Send Private Message

Oh I probably spend about $10 a week (thats Aussie dollars) which gets me chinese greens / parsley / brocolli and whatever else.  I get my stuff from the local growers markets but lately their veggies, particularly their fruit has been crap.  A bunch of greens costs me about $1 a bunch which is cheap compared to Coles or Woolies at double that.

Luey only gets greens … no treats!  I am a meanie Mum but I consider he does not need them.  I do on very rare occasions give him a treat of carrot.  Luey dislikes parsley, mint and other herbs.  So I just stick to the same greens.  That way he is happy and no poopy butt!

The piggies, on the other hand, are considerably spoilt and they get lots of little bits, particularly foods with Vitamin C in … oranges, tomatoes.  Tyson loves his fruit, parsley, brocolli, apple and celery.  Micky’s favourites are carrot and cucumber.

Dawn xx

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                Participant
                                                12067 posts Send Private Message

I’ve looked everywhere for dandelions and just can’t get em!
                                                  Right now Kokanee is on only greens and hay (and she really isn’t a hay eater) so she’s putting me in the poor house!! I did some research and found a store called H and w. When veggies arrive at resturaunts and are turned away, (not perfect) they are put up for auction and then go to h and w. It’s super cheap (four things of parsley for a buck!) and not bad shape at all! PHew! At one point I was spending eight bux a day on them!!
                                                  Now I’d say maybe twenty a week. Usually 15-20 a week. For three, plus I include my horse treats in that figure (carrots and apples).

• Sage Cat
                                                  Participant
                                                  1883 posts Send Private Message

Heck, My little ones are getting totally spoiled! I have been giving them something different most nights. I cant help it – it is that Chef mentality – I cant eat the same thing every night – so, I reckon they don’t want to either.

Considering that they and I eat the same stuff – I’m not sure how much I’m spending on their portion.

So far they have chowed down on everything I have given them: beet greens, cilantro & parsley, peppers, snow peas, celery, lots of lettuce. I have added 1 quartered brussel sprout or radish a few times – they loved those.

They seem to really like the Spring Mix – my grocery often has that on a BOGO!

The other night I made Me and J. a very nice salad to go with dinner – He wanted to know why I put dressing on the bunny’s dinner!

• skunklionshow
                                                    Participant
                                                    1257 posts Send Private Message

Its funny b/c I get so lazy w/ preparing salads for myself or buying fresh veggie varieties to prepare…however I go crazy w/ my bunny salads and getting them their veggie buffets.  I go to town w/ them, but me, I’ll just eat the frozen bag of veggies from the freezer!  I forget that Aussie land is in the midst of summer and not winter!  For a moment I was thinking wow she can get fruits and veggies at the farmer’s market in winter…..please excuse the hemi-sphere faux pas.

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Veggies????