Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Vegetable variety, how often should I give?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bunniesareamazing
      Participant
      25 posts Send Private Message

Hello!

So as you guys may know, rabbits should eat a variety of vegetables right? The thing is, is that some vegetables are higher in oxalates or calcium and those vegetables are recommended to give less frequently to prevent harm to the bunny. I wanted to ask if it would be safe to give these high oxalate/calcium vegetables everyday but in a much lesser ratio to the vegetables that aren’t high in oxalates/calcium? Some sources recommend feeding them a portion of them only a few times a week.

This weeks salad is red leaf, romaine, cilantro, basil, mint, dill, collards(might cut out because she’s having gas), and dandelion greens.

the dandelion greens are higher in calcium and the collards are higher in oxalates

would it be better to just give the collards and dandelion greens 2-3 times this week or give them every day but in really small portions (1 leaf) while the lettuce and herbs are the main part

i switch up how I do it from time to time but I just want to know what it best in your guys’s experience 🙂

If any of this information is wrong please correct me!

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

To be safe, I’d just give 2-3 times a week. In actuality, giving just a leaf every day, especially if paired with proper hydration and hay eating, likely won’t do much, but we are not nutritionists nor veterinarians, so I at least cannot say anything definitively.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

That looks like a very nice variety in a salad!

To my knowledge, collards are not actually high in oxalate (none of the cabbage family veggies are), just calcium, plus the gas issues you noted. The main ones to worry about oxalate in are spinach, parsley, chard, and beet tops. So you wouldn’t want to feed two of those veggies in the same salad.

I usually aim to give at least 3 dif veggies per day, and only 1 of them is “allowed” to be high in calcium and/or oxalate. I also make sure that the high calcium and/or oxalate veg is not more than 1/3 of the total salad. Ideally I don’t give the same high oxalate veg multiple weeks in a row. So if I gave chard one week, I wouldn’t feed it the next week.

Dandelion is a really nutritious veggie for buns. I was feeding it daily for a while, but one of my buns is a senior and has gotten somewhat sensitive to high calcium veggies, so I don’t feed it often or in large amounts lately.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bunniesareamazing
            Participant
            25 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the feedback!

About the one leaf thing it’s just an estimate since I cut up my veggies, wouldn’t one leaf everyday for a week be equal to 2-3 leaves 2-3 times a week?

The way I feed dahlia is pretty similar to what DanaNM does, mostly just lettuces and herbs and then one high oxalate or high calcium veggie that makes up a really small portion compared to the lettuces and herbs.

i think I’ll just give the high oxalate/calcium veggies 3 times a week in small-medium portions to be on the safe side 😁

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Vegetable variety, how often should I give?