Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A vacuum cleaner

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • Deleted User
      Participant
      22064 posts Send Private Message

Hi Everyone,

I’m new here.

I have two rabbits, one mini rex, his name is Lint, and one Giant Angora/Holland Lop mix, named Mops.

I was wondering what kind of vacuum cleaners are good with sucking up hay bits etc. I have a bagless one and I hate it, keep having to replace the filters because of rabbit hair and such.

-Gina

112342558671.JPG

• LittlePuffyTail
        18092 posts Send Private Message

Hi and welcome here! I love the names of your bunnies, so cute (and so is the pic of your mini-rex)

I can’t suggest a brand for you as mine is a bagless as well but hay and hair gets caught in the hose and I have to stick a broom through it to dislodge the hay, so I’m curious too as to a brand that I might be interested in switching too. I think a lot of the members are fans of shopvacs. They are a lot tougher than ordinary vacuums. I’m sure someone else will be able to help you more

• skunklionshow
          Participant
          1257 posts Send Private Message

AFter going through numerous vacuum cleaners w/ my cats, I finally bit the bullet and bought an Oreck.  When you buy the upright you get a small canister/ compact hose vac as well.  It’s the best vacuum I’ve ever had.  I’ve had them both for over 6 years and haven’t had any major issues.  I usually use the compact to vacuum out the bunny cage. 

I also recently got a “pet vac” attachment thingy for my compact.  It allows you to keep the noisy vaccuum in another room so the pet doesn’t completely freak.  That works really well when I have to vacuum my pets, not for just regular vacuuming…..but it does have an awesome super duper long hose.

• BUNNYFOOFOO823
            Participant
            104 posts Send Private Message

I know the feeling Petzy, I have two Greyhounds and two rabbits and I don’t care what anyone says about Greyhounds not shedding but they do! I had a Eureka Boss with the Hepa Filter I bought in Sept 2007 for almost $200 and it has since broken down twice!

I called Eureka and they won’t fix it anymore because there was hay and pet hair stuck in it and they said it wasn’t meant for those uses! Can you believe that! The vac repair shop wanted to charge me $80 to fix it, my husband and I said forget it! We went to Best Buy after doing some research and bought the Eureka Optima Petmate for Pethair vac it is bagless and you can wash the filter in your washing machine! Let me tell you this little vac is a god send! It cost me $66 on sale from $170.

It is easy to clean doesn’t make much noise is small and compact and does not weigh a lot which is great for me because I am only 5’1! I sincerly recommend this vac, you’ll be surprised at all the hay, hair and other stuff you find in the canister when you clean it out.

Here is a link incase you are interested! http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8893101&type=product&id=1211587729753

Good Luck!

• Deleted User
              Participant

actually, I had to make a special tool for such dislodging purposes, I used to poke a wire coat hanger through my vacuum cleaner hose! It can’t be good for it… LOL

• Deleted User
                Participant

Thanks, Bunnyfoofoo823, I also have two dogs of the short, single-coat variety that supposedly don’t shed… where does this myth come from?? 

I will definitely check out this Eureka model you mentioned. I wanted to buy a vacuum cleaner specifically rated for households with pets, but the sales person at the time I bought mine claimed that all vacuums necessarily create a static attraction to pet hair and any vacuum will do for pets. Not true. ..

• KatnipCrzy
                  Participant
                  2981 posts Send Private Message

I bought a Dyson and have been very happy with that- I do sweep up as much hay and poo as reasonably possible and then vacuum up the rest.

In general- this has been a great vacuum for us!  We have 2 dogs, 5 cats and now 3 bunnies- so vacuuming with a good vacuum makes a difference.

• Beka27
                    Participant
                    16016 posts Send Private Message

i have found it’s not so much brand as how the vacuum comes together. i had a dirt devil and it was nearly imporrible to take teh hose off form the vacuum to celan it out. my new inexpensive Target vacuum has a hose that can completely come off just with a twist of your wrist. also, all of the filters come off and can be rinsed out a few times before having to be replaced. i think it’s the Bissell Clearview, the smaller one. it doesn’t have a bunch of bells and whistles, but since it costs less than 80 bucks on sale, i figure evenif i can geta year or two out of it, that’s fine by me. i was looking at the dyson’s but my previous vacuum broke, so it was not the in the financial cards at the moment. i needed a vac ASAP.

i do have a shark handvac that i use to suck up poos and bits of hay before i use the full size vacuum.

• bunnytowne
                      Participant
                      7537 posts Send Private Message

Had an Oreck handheld cannister one.  Was just too small for the job.  got a Shop Vac a 3 gal 4.5 HP and does real good.  I do have to run a skinny pipe down the hard attachment piece now n then for a hay clog but otherwise I am very happy with it.

That one made particularly for pet hair sounds like a good choice.  Wish I had known of it would have checked it out.  Oh well…

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Petzy! Awe your bun looks just like my Bonsai!  My suggestion would be to get a shop-vac in lieu of a regular vacuum cleaner. I have a bagged Hoover Wind-Tunnel that works great with no problems. However it can get clogged with hay so I use a broom for the majority of it. If you are looking to suck up lots of bits of hay, I say go with the shop-vac.

Here are some more tips on cleaning from our FAQ section:

Cleaning Tips & Routines:

https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=2&tpage=1&view=topic&postid=242#300

Cleaning a NIC condo https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=1&postid=42400&view=topic

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant
                          12067 posts Send Private Message

Welcome!!

I am the vaccum cleaner QUEEN both for owning alot and breaking them regularly (luckily my boyfriend it the vaccum cleaner king-for fixing them!!)

A Bissel Powerforce bagless-I use this regularly. The filters need to be taken out biweekly or monthly and washed-full of fur!

A bissel Quicksteamer multisurface. This washes linoleum, hardwood and steam cleans carpets-It’s fantastic-new addition!

A handheld dustbuster. I use this when company is over,making scared faces at a few stray poops! Not for regular cleaning but quick poop scooping.

A carpet flick-Not great but gets poops quickly if you don’t want to haul out the vaccum.

A shop vaccum-This is mostly for spills, but if any of the buns get poopy bum/cecals on the carpet-this is handy for getting them up.

Roomba-This is for daily vaccuming, we turn this on while we are out, come home and it picks up quite a bit of hair=that being said it needs regular de-clogging.

Broom and dustpan-this is what I use to clean their condo first-then I vaccum up stray peices.

For some reason owning rabbits has caused my vaccum supply to mulitpy

• MooBunnay
                            Participant
                            3087 posts Send Private Message

We have three vacuums at our house – our supply also multiplied We use the shop vac to clean up hay and poops and the bunny cages. Then, when that is all over we use the Dyson “Animal” to vacuum the carpets to get all the hair off the floor. Then, for the rooms that don’t really get too much bunny hair in them, we use the Roomba. Even though the Roomba isn’t good for the problem you are having with the hay clogging the vacuum – it is a really great thing to have! I love just turning it on before we leave the house and coming home to a clean floor.

• Deleted User
                              Participant

Wow, and thanks a lot… I’m thinking a shop-vac is what I need right now. Thanks everybody!

• BookerTRabbit
                                Participant
                                45 posts Send Private Message

We have gone through 3 vacuums with our bun. They just can;t handle the hay. I finally got a hand me down Dyson and it was doing a great job, but I also struggled with the filter. Recently we went to Lowe’s and bought a very small shop vac. It is GREAT! I will suck up any thing, pellets, litter, poops, hay,newspaper, anything! You just suck it up, and then snap off the top and dump everything in the trash. It really works great, and it’s saving our real vacuum.

• whit308
                                  Participant
                                  4 posts Send Private Message

I definitely recommend using a small shop vac. Some of them, though, if you look where the hose attaches to the vacuum have a plastic piece that turns the debris, and will cause hay to become stuck, however, on most shop vacs this is removable, so it works perfect.

• skunklionshow
                                    Participant
                                    1257 posts Send Private Message

Just to add…the pet vac unit thingy is like a mini shop vac as it does wet & dry.  Helpful w/ pets; plus the hose is veeeeerrrrrry long.  Can be bad or good if you get a clog, but so far I haven’t.  I got mine on ebay for 1/2 the price it sells for online.

• BinkyBunny
                                      8776 posts Send Private Message

I use the hanging shop vac – but be sure to get the wide hose. Some shop vacs come with the skinny hose and that can get stuck too often, so be sure to use or get the wider hose.   Also, on some shopvacs, there is a catch on the inside of the vaccuum where the stuff comes in. My husband cut that down a bit and that definitely stopped it from getting clogged up so much. Note: the wall hanging version, that we have doesn’t have a big catch so you won’t have to cut it down.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • The topic ‘vacuum cleaner’ is closed to new replies.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A vacuum cleaner