Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RESCUE EFFORTS FOR SHELTERS Urgent situ in Carbondale, IL–rabbits kept loose outdoors, being trapped by neighbors

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kayota
      Participant
      114 posts Send Private Message

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/pet/4299724582.html

“We are an animal rescue and sanctuary. We have two outdoor, free-running bunny brothers who were saved from being meat. One is tamer and the other is quite independent. They are so fun to watch together — they love each other so much and groom each other for long sessions and run, jump, and play together. Our neighbor leg tapped the third brother because they see them as pests. We have had his arm amputated (the bunny with the little white foot in the photo) and will keep him as an indoor bunny, but these other two really love the freedom of the outdoors. The neighbors will continue to trap, so we must move them immediately.

These brothers are very pretty: one is silver black (Thorin) and the other is a light red (Fiver).

Our main concerns are that they have a place to be warm, that they have access to grazing and some small suppliment in the winter (they currently eat the leftover hay from our horse and sheep), and that they are not exposed to dogs that will kill them.

Please let us know if you are interested in these cute bunny brothers. “

I am REALLY, REALLY suspicious of any “rescue” that thinks it’s appropriate to let rabbits run loose to the point that they can be seen as pests by neighbors and get injured. WTH?! I sent them an email asking them what government designations they have and why they’re letting these buns run loose. I so wish I could take them from this unsafe situation. Can anyone help? I sent an email to a local shelter, I’ll let you know what they say.

• Kayota
        Participant

Got an answer from the owners of the “sanctuary”.

“I am sorry you feel that way, and I can understand your judgment of us. We don’t have any “government designations” (I assume you mean licensing). We are a poor operation. Our animals eat the best organic food and see the vet even when we don’t (in fact the bunny amputation wiped out our food budget next month). But we do whatever we can. The bunnies were in a huge fenced area when I took them to keep them from being butchered. They get premium food, worming, vitamins, hay, etc — and when they got out we continued to live trap them and mend the fence, spending money constantly to try to keep them in. They simply wanted out (and then back in) so we created access so they can come and go. It was still a better situation than they were in. We don’t have dogs around that will harm them, etc. And, as I stated, they are neutered, so can’t impact the wild population. We immediately talked to the neighbors and offered to re-home them when this occured, in case they were bothered. It turns out the neighbors were split: she loves them, he doesn’t. So we are trying to fix things now.

I am writing back because I assume that you took the time to write because you are an animal lover: a vegan, a person who spends all their available income on animals, who lives green and sustainably as we do to help the earth’s creatures.

We would love help, but if you can’t help, your anger is something we can’t shoulder right now. We are trying to do the right thing.

Dawn”

• Deleted User
          Participant
          22064 posts Send Private Message

I read your forum this morning (for me) and your update now. Like many others who read it to – what to say/do?
            All ‘I’ can say to you directly is good on you (not that that helps you – sorry) but hopefully letting you know you have support will encourage you to keep being a ‘good guy’ looking out for those who can’t look after themselves. I don’t get why they can’t be kept ‘inside’ – we all adjust to new environments, I’m sure these guys could too? Especially if it means a safe, and I’m sure just as happy quality of life (if cared for properly).
            From the reply you received – it does seem like they are trying, it’s just sad that it’s not to the extent that ensures the safety of these helpless buns. Again – I’m not really sure how to respond to this situation, other than to say – how wonderful you care and are actually doing something about it. If anything I said is not appropriate – my apologies. All the best Kayota.

• Kayota
            Participant

You’re alright, I’m just hoping someone can take them in before they get hurt or killed. One’s already missing a leg… I would if I could but my hands are tied, my dad made me rehome Mako and Waldo and as long as he’s helping me support myself I can’t have any more pets.

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

You don’t have to have a government designation to be a rescue. I think that they are trying to help these rabbits and it may be the best they can do so I’m not sure that I would judge them too harshly. Hopefully they will be able to get them to a safe place.

• Kayota
                Participant

I highly doubt that keeping rabbits loose outdoors with no confinement whatsoever is the best they can do. Anyone with a brain realizes that rabbits are not safe running loose like that. They could be killed by dogs (THEY don’t have dogs but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any), killed or otherwise injured by neighbors (as already happened with the bun who had to have his entire leg amputated), hit by a car, attacked or killed by wildlife, poisoned, etc etc etc. It’s not okay. I don’t know what kind of “rescue” would save animals and then put them in another situation where they can be badly injured or killed.

• bunnnnnnie!
                  Participant
                  1491 posts Send Private Message

Can you contact the local humane society and see if they can contact the owner (not bothering to call them a rescue)?  Maybe they can convince them to hand over the bunnies, and at least then they’ll be out of harm’s way.

Here’s the Humane Society of Southern IL’s website:

http://www.humanesocietysil.org/

Their phone:

(618) 457-2362

• Zombie-Sue
                    Participant
                    875 posts Send Private Message

I’m inclined to judge harshly here. One of the rabbits had a limb amputated, and in spite of this, they’re letting the other two run around where the same fate could befall them. There’s no real “test” for shelters, but I’m going to say that this situation is an automatic F.

Intentions really aren’t everything, competency has to matter at some point.

• Kayota
                      Participant

exactly! (and I was referring to a 501(c)3 designation which all reputable organizations have). they removed the ad, but if anyone here can help i have her email still.

• Kayota
                        Participant

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/pet/4310411388.html These bunnies are still available and in danger.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RESCUE EFFORTS FOR SHELTERS Urgent situ in Carbondale, IL–rabbits kept loose outdoors, being trapped by neighbors