Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE URGENT – broken/missing nail

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • ScooterandAnnette
      Participant
      1090 posts Send Private Message

Ironically as we were in the process of getting clipping bunny nails tonight (1 down, had 3 to go) Tegan decided she wasn’t about to cooperate and ran instead of letting us pick her up.  She managed to get one of her back nails caught on/in something during the dash, which we discovered when she started bleeding.  A lot.  We’ve got the bleeding stopped but it looks like the nail is gone.  There’s a little nub left, we’re not sure if that’s nail or what.

What we’re not sure about is if she’s okay to leave like this (we’re heading out of town tomorrow) or if we should get her into the emergency vet to be looked at tonight.  If the nail is totally gone then will it grow back?

– Annette

• Lisa_43
        Participant
        1499 posts Send Private Message

I am not an expert but especially if you are heading out of town tomorrow I would get it looked at just to be on the safe side.

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
          Participant
          319 posts Send Private Message

I wish I can help you but I’m not an expert in this area.

• Binkles
            Participant
            823 posts Send Private Message

Firstoff not to scare you, but this is how my friend’s bunny DIED.

Now granted, she managed to rip off /two/ toenails, but all the same..

If she’s lost a coca-cola capfull of blood or more, get her to the vet NOW. Because even if the bleeding has stopped, without essential intraveinious fluids, she may become anemic, have a seizure, and..

._.

I still think about it almost every day..

• ScooterandAnnette
              Participant

Here’s an update.

We stopped the bleeding, which fortunately wasn’t that much, and took her to the emergency vet. They looked her over and have prescribed an antibiotic (Baytril) to head any infection off at the pass. We gave her the first dose today, which fortunately went down well by cutting it with apple juice as instructed, gave the foot a rinse, and have given instructions to our house/pet sitter on what to do. We will call her tomorrow to make sure she knows what’s up.

Tegan’s in pretty good spirits. The first thing she did at the vet was make a lunge at the cables of the stethoscope hanging on the wall.

• Binkles
                Participant
                823 posts Send Private Message

That’s really good to hear! Just make absolutely CERTAIN she doesn’t become lethargic or ‘mellow’ -that’s where it started for my friend’s bun. If that happens, you need to get her to the vet immediately.

• ScooterandAnnette
                  Participant

Well, so far she’s been her usual feisty self: eating, standing in front of the hay manger demanding it be filled which I was doing already (can’t you wait five seconds?) and presenting herself for grooming to the other bunnies. No lethargy yet. We’ll check again before we leave tomorrow.

• osprey
                    Participant
                    2065 posts Send Private Message

No expertise in this area, but excellent news that you were able to see the vet right away and get Tegan looked at.

{{{{{Tegan}}}}}

• Lisa_43
                      Participant
                      1499 posts Send Private Message

Yes great to hear all is well. Healing vibes for Tegan.

• Gravehearted
                        Participant
                        2428 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad you got her started on the baytil to fend off any possible infection. Hope she’s feeling ok.

• ScooterandAnnette
                          Participant

Our house/pet sitter reports that Tegan’s doing well and getting her antibiotics every 12 hours. The toe with the missing nail isn’t inflamed and just has a tiny black scab on it, so it appears to be healing nicely. Tegan is apparently putting up with having the pet sitter deliver her medicine, which is a lot better than the way she behaves with us. Go figure…

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                            Participant
                            12067 posts Send Private Message

Awww good to hear!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE URGENT – broken/missing nail