Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Update

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • AlexT
      Participant
      39 posts Send Private Message

Well, I’ve been steadily reducing the amount of pellets that Benji and Maggie get by 5g every 3 days.  So far, no appreciable change in water intake.  I also made a change to their cage that seems to be helping.  I replaced one of the towels with a rubber-back bathmat from Target.  I figured it would feel like carpet and be soft, but not as absorbent.  Yesterday Benji went into the cage for the first time after I put it in.  He peed on it, turned around, and looked at it like, "WTF?"  He looked at me curiously, then hopped to the far end away from it to sit and pout.  He peed on it a few more times while they ate their greens, and hasn’t since; he’s hopped in the litterbox several times to pee, though.  Success?  Maybe.  But that brings me to two other questions.

Benji mostly seems to pee really often and lose his litterbox habits while they’re eating their greens or shortly after.  Does this mean they’re getting too many greens (4 c in the evening)?  They’re getting parsley, cilantro, and Romaine.

Also, I’m not sure, but I think Maggie really gets the whole litterbox idea.  Their hayrack is not over the litterbox, so there’s no reason for a bun to hop in except to do their business.  (Even with a large box, there was way too much disagreement over how they would both fit in there with hay at one end, and they disagreed on which end was the toilet if I covered it all in hay.)  Maggie will often hop in and just sit there for a few minutes.  She doesn’t look like she’s in pain or anything.  Just every 15 seconds or so she’ll move her butt a few inches to the side and stay a few more seconds, etc.  Then she’ll turn and lift her tail in the corner to pee.  There are lots of Maggie-sized poos in the box.  Does this mean she gets it and is doing all her business in the right place?  Or should I be worried that she’s straining to pee from sludge or something?

Thanks,

Alex

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Alex! Well it sounds like Benji might be getting the idea now, most bunnies do not like wet feet. Be a little careful with the rubber back bath mat in ensuring they don’t eat the rubber backing. Maggie sounds like she is doing her business very bunny-like. Do you see any creamy white stuff in the litter pan?

You mentioned that you are cutting back on the pellets, how many are they getting now? You also might try splitting up the veggies and feed part of them in the am and the other in the pm to see if that makes a difference. Veggies do contain a lot of water and so that may be why Benji pees just after.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Update