Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Update new baby rabbits

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lisa_43
      Participant
      1499 posts Send Private Message

I have notice the last couple of days one of the babies is on the bottom floor of my two story hutch.

I got up this morning and it was there again, I thought it might have fallen from the top story.

I rang the vet and they said they think mum might be rejecting it; I have picked it up and put it back in the nest for the third time this week.

Any suggestions on maybe taking it out and bottle feed it etc, or let nature take its course.

It’s really upsetting to see it on the floor in the cold.

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Because of the way I am, I would bottle feed the baby and maybe have that vet that offered to help, exam the baby to make sure there are no health problems, thereby making the mom reject it.  You can hand feed the baby.  There are more instructions here:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/babies.html#Feeding_Orphaned_Baby_Rabbits

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

http://www.kindplanet.org/rabbitbabies3.html

http://groups.msn.com/AngiesArk/handrearing.msnw

• Lisa_43
          Participant

Thanks I have printed out the information and I have all the stuff ready to go.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

Hi Lisa
              I’ve never had babies before, but when I was researching EVERYTHING on rabbits, I read on several breeders sites, that when a baby is cold, you can put them in a plastic bag (obviously just as a barrier, not seal them up in a bag and run that bag under warm water (not too hot); This can bring a baby back that seems dead (cold and not moving-probably hypothermic), it was on several websites that this worked to revive them. Of course, this is only if the baby seems very cold!
              Keep us posted and let us know if you need anything else!!

• Lisa_43
              Participant
                Thanks I’m getting good help from this site, I really appreciate it.

At the moment I am leaving her with mum as I have read how hard it is to hand rear baby rabbits.

They were five days old yesterday so I weighed them, four of the babies including the one that keeps being put out are 3 grams and the other two are 4 grams, at least it is still the same weight as the other three.

I got up this morning to check and it was in the nest nice and warm and a healthy pink colour.

I will just keep checking on them.

• Sarita
                Participant
                18851 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad the baby is better and you are weighing them! Perhaps this poor baby is the runt. I’m not certain how your hutch is built but I wonder if you should put them on the bottom floor anyway? I know mom’s can be particular about these things though and the minute you do that mom is moving them back upstairs. It just seems once they do start moving out and about it might be safer on the bottom floor.

• skunklionshow
                  Participant
                  1257 posts Send Private Message

This is not about bunnies, just baby cats.  I found my cat Phoebe on the streets and she was chock ful o’ kitties.  The litter had 4 girls and 1 boy.  The boy kept getting knocked off her nipple from his sisters.  This was true even b/f their eyes were open.  He would easily find a nipple, but as soon as he started to nurse, one of his sisters would push him out of the way and take that nipple.  Luckily we caught this situation b/f it got dangerous for the little man.  It became apparent that it required further observation after his weight plataued (I can’t spell).  We weighed those kittens daily to montor their growth…so keep up w/ the scale on a daily basis! 

Needless to say that little guy turned out fine….he’s a whopping 15 lbs today!  He was pretty happy to see all his sisters get new homes, he finally had his mama all to himself!

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

You’re welcome Lisa, I am relieved that you have not had to resort to hand feeding the baby and he was all snuggly warm with momma.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Update new baby rabbits