Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A update bunny acting sick-she’s ok now

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ali925
      Participant
      544 posts Send Private Message

Oreo ate her dinner salad but now is acting weird…i am thinking gas?  She isnt coming out to play like usual and is hiding, layingdown looking uncomfortable. She also is breathing heavy…i am very concerned.  Can i try giving simethicone?  i just sent dh to get it, it has to be unflavored right?  how much do you give an almost 5lb bunny?  i will call the vet tomorrow since its too late now.  thanks so much

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

Mint flavoured is alright.

There’s a great article on first aid in this forum, bet it comes up when you search, it gives the details of dosing with simethicone. The article the entry quotes was my source too but I’m not familiar with the liquid dosage and want to get this out to you ASAP.

• MooBunnay
          Participant
          3087 posts Send Private Message

Will Oreo eat anything at all? Sometimes I think my bunnies are uncomfortable and in stasis, and then I offer them some veggies or a small treat and they jump up

I also have a bunny who often gets gas and acts similar to how you are describing. I use the simethicone that comes in tablets (I think it does have a mint flavor). I crush one tablet between two spoons, and use a small syringe to put some water in it. I mix a small amount of water a simethicone together on the spoon, and then draw it up with the syringe, and give it to my bunny. Then I try to get him to move around a bit. He is around 5 lbs. and has not had a problem with the amount of 1 tablet. Not quite all of it usually gets into the syringe, so it is about 3/4 of a tablet.

If the simethicone is not helping, it could definitely possibly be stasis. If it is stasis, it is important to address it as quickly as possible, the earlier you get her to the vet the better. The vet can do things like administer subQ fluids, and pain meds, and medications that will improve her stomach motility, and it will be more effective if you get those things to her as soon as possible.

I hope Oreo is feeling better soon!

• Ali925
            Participant

Thank you so much MooBunnay and Grey dove! I’m happy to report that Oreo made me look a fool! The husband walked in with the meds as she ran out to the family room for play time. She still looked uncomfortable but was trying to work it out. Within the next half hour she was hopping around and eating hay. I have a five week old (child, not bunny!) And things have been crazy…I’m relieved she’s okay. Part of me thinks she just wanted attention since the baby gets most of it these days! I guess it was just a little gas.. Thank you so much for your quick responses.

• Deleted User
              Participant
              22064 posts Send Private Message

So happy to hear all is well!

Personally I will never again not have simethicone in the house, … so all is not lost, should she have gas in future you are armed and ready.

If she doesn’t mind being handled a little tummy massage can also be a quick and easy first response!

congratulations and enjoy your new Baby (human)!!!!

• LittlePuffyTail
                18092 posts Send Private Message

Glad Oreo is feeling better.

I’m the same way Grey Dove. Often my buns have refused food and seemed lethargic and a dose or two of simethicone made them feel better. I always have some in the house.

Just want to stress though, that while simethicone can help relieve gas pain, it’s not a cure for what is causing the gas. If your bunny gets gas frequently, he/she should see the vet.

• Ali925
                  Participant

Thank you LPT and Grey Dove! I actually had some in the house for my baby but it was flavored and for some reason I thought that was no good for them. I guess I would have been okay. Also, I had an unflavored bottle I bought a while ago as a “just in case” because my bunnies always seem to get funny at night time. I’ve ended up at the emergency vet because it’s after hours and boy it’s expensive and a lot of times was just a little gas that they needed to work through. I always get nervous going to bed at night if they aren’t feeling well…so then I end up taking them to the vet sooner than later. Luckily this doesn’t happen often. We had their yearly checkups this week and everything was perfect…and I was thinking how it’s been so long since either of them had a gas issue. The weather turned super warm yesterday and maybe Oreo felt it…she’s very sensitive to change. (although the house didn’t get that warm..)

Thanks again!!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A update bunny acting sick-she’s ok now