Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Unwanted litter habits

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • elenaforrest
      Participant
      11 posts Send Private Message

I got my rab a little over 3 years ago and he’s always had trouble with pooping in the litter box, but just recently, he started peeing outside too. This is a newer problem that I’ve never really had before (he’s peed on the carpet once or twice in the past, but never this frequently). When I first got him, I consulted my vet on getting him neutered and he recommended that I didn’t do the procedure as he’s not currently living with a companion. I know bad litter habits are usually attributed to bunnies being unfixed though, so is there any other way to prevent these behaviors? He seems really happy otherwise and hasn’t shown any other unwanted behaviors like humping or being aggressive.

• Adrian Grant
        Participant
        10 posts Send Private Message

Aside from the financial devastation ($400-$600 to fix a bunny where I live), there really isn’t a reason not to fix them since reproductive ailments are very common in unfixed rabbits as they age. I’m not sure if your vet brought this up, but I would be a little concerned if they didn’t at least mention it. Besides getting him fixed, some people find good results by wiping up the accident with a paper towel and placing it in the litter box. Also, whenever you see him preparing to relieve himself in the wrong spot, quickly pick him up and put him in the litter box. After a while, he will probably get the idea. In the meantime I would definitely recommend getting a urine removal spray and using it wherever he has an accident, specially on the carpet/rug. They tend to use the same spot again when they smell their urine on it. My rabbits are also unfixed at the moment and their litter habits are all over the place. I understand it’s something I will have to tolerate until fixing them as nothing else is really a long term or guaranteed solution.

• Bam
          16879 posts Send Private Message

What type of peeing are you observing? Litter trained rabbits can start to pee outside the box for both normal reasons and abnormal.

A normal reason for peeing outside the box is pee marking. It often, but not always, means pee spraying. The rabbit often chooses the humans’ favorite spots, like their beds or on the sofa. A rabbit that starts to pee mark doesnt necessarily have to be an adolescent. My first bun Bam was fully adult and had been living with me for a whole year before he started to pee mark. He also displayed other sexual behaviors -he followed my GSD around relentlessly, circled her, nipped her and peed on her. This is typical of rabbit courtship. These behaviors stopped 1-2 weeks post his neuter.

Abnormal causes for a bun to start peeing outside the box are various illnesses or pain. If the bun has difficulty getting in and out of the litterbox due to joint pain, he will often pee near it. If a bun has a stomach ache he can hold the pee for a long time, then pee a whole flood when the pain subsides. If a bun has a URI or e cuniculi that affects the urinary system, the peeing will as a rule manifest as intermittent incontinence. You might see the bun strain to pee, he might pee small amounts here and there in random spots. Cloudy urine is not a sign of illness in buns, normal rabbit pee is always somewhat cloudy.

Male rabbits are neutered for 2 major reasons: If they’re to have a rabbit companion, and to prevent unwanted sexual behaviors. Intact rabbits can get testicular cancer, but that’s primarily seen in very old rabbits. Testicular cancer is not a major health concern, like uterine cancers are in intact does.

• elenaforrest
            Participant
            11 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for the responses! I have a urine removal spray that I have been using because he used to pee on the bed (I don’t let him up there anymore). He has been peeing near his litter box so I will keep an eye on him for signs of illness. He’s still eating and peeing normally (not strained) and running around, but he is almost five years old, so maybe he’s starting to get joint pain? I’m also worried about getting him neutered because of his older age. When I first went to the vet with him for a neuter consult, he was around 2 years old and even then, the vet said that the risk of complications with the surgery would not outweigh the benefits. Hopefully it subsides, and if not I’ll get a vet visit and maybe a shorter litter box. Thanks again so much.

• Bam
              16879 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits tend to prefer bigger litterboxes, but there are boxes with a lower rim on one side, which could work if he finds it difficult to get in and out of the box. At age 5 he technically could have some beginning joint problems. I put some hay in my litterboxes on top of the litter, because rabbits do like to munch when they go.

A male rabbit neuter rarely comes with complications, but it is of course wise to not request it from a vet who is reluctant to do the procedure. Rabbit shelters do a lot of neuters in even older rabbits.

If your bun is peeing near the box (and not spaying pee 7p the wall behind the box or in orddr places -an unneutered rabbit can readily spray pee 3 feet up a wall), it doesn’t sound to me like marking, and its only marking that a neuter could help with.

Keep keeping an eye, if it gets worse (like you start to see pee dribble in many spots or you catch him straining), I’d have him looked at by a vet.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Unwanted litter habits