Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Unusual Prospect- Diy Rex fur paint brush possible?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Autumn's Dad
      Participant
      208 posts Send Private Message

Hello all,

hope you are keeping well. Autumn is doing well with plenty of binkies lately, and seems much happier, cooler temps? Maybe. Still a little scamp though  

I’ve seen paintbrushes made from angora wool, the source as many of you may know is not pleasant at all. But moving on, i’m wondering if by gathering molt from autumn it would be possible to make a very fine/soft paintbrush as everything I have seen bar angora brushes is not fit for purpose- extremely fine detailing/ absolute minimum brush strokes on a tiny scale. I guess I’d bunch the fibres up and glue them to a wooden dowel or such.

An odd post but in summary:

. How to gather fur in straight clumps?

. Best ways to attach the fur to a stick/ length of wood? 

Thanks for stopping by

Take care

• sarahthegemini
        Participant
        5584 posts Send Private Message

I have no idea but what an interesting concept. I’ll be following this thread

• Bam
          16877 posts Send Private Message

Hi Autumn’s Dad, good to see you! Yay for bunny binkies!

I’m sorry to say I’ve no idea about making brushes. I’ve been gathering bun hair from normal haired buns for many years now (in the hopes of one day crafting sth), but never even thought of making a brush. Maybe you could look at websites and blogs for artists/painers? Otherwise experimenting will have to be the way.

• Harley&Thumper
            Participant
            444 posts Send Private Message

https://www.pennellifaro.com/en-ww/fine-arts.aspx

These people make custom paint brushes. You could try asking them if rex fur would make a good brush material.

• jerseygirl
              22345 posts Send Private Message

I didn’t realise there were angora paint brushes.

Rex fur would be interesting. Does the fur come off her coat in clumps when she is in a molt? The parts where there is already new growth underneath seem to come away the easiest.
                No idea what you’d use to tack clump of fur together initailly. Wax? PVA glue or contact glue that is already partially set? Clear nail polish? Whatever won’t get wicked down the fur because you’d have limited length to work with.

• Autumn's Dad
                Participant
                208 posts Send Private Message

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Apologies, I forgot I wrote this topic!

Sarah- Thanks, I’m always looking for solutions to things

Bam- good to see you too, I wrote this mainly as an update on the scamp, always great to see her go mad with happiness 

H&T- Thank you, will visit them
                  jerseygirl- It sort of comes out in onion ring type bands across her back

the tail is the first to her nose. Thinking about it, epoxy would be perfect, viscous (non-wicking) and sets tough. set in a ring made from a beer can, emptied of course in turn set on a wooden dowel, crimped like a normal brush

I hope to pull off this grand plan, but somehow I think she’s on to me 

• Q8bunny
                  Participant
                  6345 posts Send Private Message

Look for her discarded cheek floof clumps – you know, the ones that look like little fur bouquets attached at one end by a waxy crust? I would collect those and try to bundle for a brush head.

If too soft, then maybe collect the guard hairs that come off first at the start of a moult? They seem thicker and straighter than the downy stuff.

As for actually constructing the brush… No idea lol

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Unusual Prospect- Diy Rex fur paint brush possible?