Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Unusual? Backwards crawling

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • New2Rabbits63
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone.

I am the first time owner of a rabbit

All my experiences have been with cats and dogs.

I am completely astounded at the mental and emotional intelligence of rabbits.

I am enthralled by the sweet , quirky, expressive personality of Peaty.

He is a 2 year old neutered male.

I think a Mini rex X Netherland Dwarf.

I have had him.only 4 weeks now.

Twice I have witnessed him lay flat down, stretched out and proceed to push himself backwards on the carpet.

Normal behavior,  sign of discomfort?

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Donna

• Bam
        16879 posts Send Private Message

I’m not quite sure how you mean. But:

1. Rabbits can stretch their back by pressing their lower belly afainst the floor. They often yawn at the same time. If this occurs after the bun has been resting and the bun otherwise has a good energy level, good appetite and normal poop, it’s just stretching and nothing to worry about.

2. Rabbits that have a stomach problem, f ex gas, sometimes press their belly against the floor. It looks a bit like when a human tries to do push ups but fails to keep the core rigid. The rabbits also tends to shift position often, like they cant find a comfy position. Or they lie or sit still in one spot and are very reluctant to move. They might try to hide away. They are not interested in food, might take a treat but not enthusiastically. This is not good and you should take action.

So you have to interpret this behaviour in context.

• LBJ10
          16908 posts Send Private Message

The only time I have seen a bunny crawl backwards is when they crawl into a tight space and realize there’s nowhere to go, so they crawl backwards to get out.

• skunkyboop
            Participant
            5 posts Send Private Message

can you post a video?

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Unusual? Backwards crawling