Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RESCUE EFFORTS FOR SHELTERS unofficial rabbit lady

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • NikitaSue20
      Participant
      132 posts Send Private Message

OK so I need a little help guys. I went to orientation at my shelter today, asked a few questions bada bing bada boom…I’m the unofficial rabbit lady now. They just got twelve rabbits that were surrendered from a breeding opera. tion and none of the people there are too rabbit savvy…except me. Which isn’t a problem I’m happy to help but I’m a little out of my league with twelve because they all have never been socialized. I’m not sure where to start with the three mama’s and the Buck. They freak out if you even try to touch them. I need advice on how to start getting them friendly again if they have any hope of finding homes. Plus the shelter made it kinda clear that they aren’t too interested in getting them fixed 🙁 o well. I also need help with how to wean them on too veggies and down on pellets. Plus one of the litters was taken from the mom too soon. They are only five weeks. Do you think they will be OK on there own?

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

As long as the babies are eating on their own they should be fine – it’s not ideal but it’s not the end of the world either.

Is the shelter going to require that the adopters get them fixed? It may be that the shelter just does not have experience with spaying/neutering rabbits and is reluctant because of that. Perhaps you can find an area vet that does spays/neuters for rabbits and speak to them about giving a discount to the adopters for the spay/neuter of the rabbits.

Hopefully the rabbits will eventually become less frightened too once they get used to the shelter – shelters are scary places for rabbits with all the barking and the meowing of cats – are they kept in the cat room?

• NikitaSue20
          Participant

Yes they are in the cat room which thankfully is pretty quiet. And yes they have no experience with getting rabbits fixed and the vet that goes there is very against it. I’m trying to help as much as possible cause I don’t want them getting shipped off to a high kill shelter. They are already kinda iffy about keeping them here.

• Sarita
            Participant

There are a few House Rabbit Societies in the PA/MD/DE area have you tried contacting them to see if they can help these rabbits?

• NikitaSue20
              Participant

No haven’t. I don’t know where they are. One of the does gave birth last night to a litter of still borns and the daddy bun ain’t looking too good. I think he has tummy problems and the youngest litter is starting to get lethargic. I’m worried.

• Sarita
                Participant

Look at the House Rabbit Society website and it lists their chapters.

• NikkiBun
                  Participant
                  33 posts Send Private Message

I would definitely try to contact your local House Rabbit Society and see if they can help the rabbits. Or maybe get you some training through them about how to handle rabbits that are not socialized. They probably have someone that can help mentor you through the steps you need to take to help these rabbits.

• Mrs.HoneyBun
                    Participant
                    34 posts Send Private Message

If nothing else works, maybe you can call the Charlotte-Mecklenburg (NC) Animal Shelter for advice? I got my bun from there. The buns waiting for adoption have their own room and a on site bun friendly vet. I bought my bun from here and for $48 they spayed, microchipped, utd on shots, physical and licence d her for me. They are amazing! I wish you the best of luck! And thank you for caring sooooo much! The world needs more people like you!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RESCUE EFFORTS FOR SHELTERS unofficial rabbit lady