Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Type of hay?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Yubin
      Participant
      27 posts Send Private Message

Hello, I just recently bought hay from a person. This person claims that this is 1st cut timothy hay with a mixed of alfalfa hay. I usually buy 1st cut Timothy hay from Ontario farms and it consists with a lot of timothy seed heads and thicker stems. This was soft and smooth and it makes me think it’s a mix if timothy/orchard and alfalfa from 3rd cut.

Do you know what kind of hay this is? Would this be good for my adult bunnies who are over age 1 but under age 5. One of my buns is a bit overweight, she eats like a cow T-T

Thank you.

Here is an extra image:

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm it looks to be mostly grass to me, I don’t see much or any alfalfa. I think it should be fine for your bunnies. If you notice any clumps of alfalfa you could remove them, but a little alfalfa should be OK.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Yubin
            Participant

Ugh, my buns hate this hay and it’s the only hay I have since the hay I usually get is usually thicker, basically 1st cut filled with timothy hay and heads.

It’s too soft…my female one seems to eat anything, it’s just my male buns that seem to like thicker hay.

The guy who i bought this from said, “The farmer said this is second cut Timothy, with less than 20% alfalfa, which is better for rabbits than first cut because it does not have the seed heads which is a little rich for the rabbits. ”

Is that true? My buns love the timothy heads.

My other bag that I usually get have dandelion seeds (the white fluffy one where you can blow off the dandelion, the seed and the white fluffy part). I haven;t found any information if rabbits can eat it, but on here someone said they can eat all of the dandelion including the seeds. My buns have been sneezing but they poop, drink, eat, run all fine when there was some dandelion seeds attached.
              I’ve been shaking off the dandelion seeds  with the white part attached as much as I can, there will always be some on them.
              My buns hate retail hay, they only like farm hay. Last time I bought them oxbow I had to give it away with a full bag, they never even touched it.

• Bam
            16871 posts Send Private Message

The whole dandelion plant incl the seeds and root is quite fine for rabbits.

Timothy seed heads are not generally considered a problem for rabbits. There are always seed heads in the timothy hay I get, both pet store hay and farm hay. Alfalfa is still a lot richer than timothy that has seed heads, so I too would guess this is a late cut grass hay with alfalfa added -possibly to up the overall protein content so it fits what horse owners want for their horses.

• Yubin
                Participant

I just want to confirm, it’s this okay to feed?

I was scared that it might lead to digestive issues. it’s all over my hay (where I usually get my hay from).

Yeah, my buns goes crazy for the timothy hay heads, they dig through the hay just to eat those! That’s good to know.

I thought it was like horse grass. Does this change my buns diet in any way? I give them timothy hay pellets and timothy hay (usually with alfalfa and orchard).

It does kinda seem like my buns don’t like this type of grass at all, they touch it but don’t eat much. But their poop is fine, round and hard! Was scared that they aren’t eating as much hay as they should be, I still see like a handfull of leftover hay.

That’s why I was wondering if they can eat the other hay they like, but with dandelion seeds all over them. And they smell fresher too. Just notice one of my buns sneezed like 3 times in a row but it didn’t stop her from munching her hay down though!

• Bam
                16871 posts Send Private Message

Thats a very typical dandelion seed head. I dont know if the seeds are rich, but they’re not toxic. Children should avoid eating dandelion stems, I just read, but it seemrs a bit unlikely that children would want to, since the taste is bitter. I know of many rabbits (including my own) that love the stems. (As with practically everything else, if you pick dandelion stems, feed in moderation).

I think you could give them a mix of both hays, but if their poopies are big and firm and plentiful, it seemes theyre doing well on the hay they have now. My rabbit never finishes all her hay, but thats because I give her so much that she’ll never risk running out.

“Leftover” hay can be put in the litterbox, if you dont already serve it in the litterbox.

• Yubin
                    Participant

Yeah, the hay had a lot of fluff seeds in many parts of the hay and one of my buns was sneezing but she’s enjoying them! That’s good to know, my buns usually eat the dandelion stem and the flower itself, they enjoy it a lot and I’ve never fed them the seeds before.

I’ve been doing that today actually, they seem to like the older hay and they usually finish that so I usually have to give more. They don’t like this new hay since they dont finish it. My buns started eating the hay I usually get right after I put it down, pretty different reaction from the new one.

Thank you so much for all your information and advice!  I really appreciate it! Thank youuuu~

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Type of hay?