Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Two bonded rabbits and a cat

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • leecybo
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone! I have two free roam bonded rabbits (Addie MN 2y/o and Esther FS 4y/o) My boyfriend has a cat that is a little over a year old and we will likely move in together at some point in the future. I am worried about how to have a cat and rabbits living in the same household. His cat is pretty timid and a very sweet boy but I don’t know if it is safe to keep these animals together. I know that it is a long introduction period but I was just wondering if any body has had any experience in this situation and has any tips to share! Addie and Esther are used to free roaming through the whole house so I would feel horrible having them in an xpen. Of course I am willing to do this until I am sure it is safe for them but I just am weary on the whole idea as I would never want to put my babies in harms way! Thanks in advance everyone!

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

I don’t have any personal experience, because I’m very allergic to cats, but I know we have several members who have cats and rabbits in the same household. I hope you’ll soon get more answers from people with actual practical experience with such constellations!

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

Most times cats and rabbits are fine together without too much intro needed. Whether you trust them free-roam unsupervised will depend on their personalities. Are your bunnies very small or skittish? Does the cat have a strong prey drive? Usually we only worry when the bunnies are babies or very small, and the cat has a strong prey drive.

Really you just need to supervise them at first to make sure your cat isn’t harassing the bun. If the buns are bold and the cat is timid, you might even need to worry about the bunnies bullying the cat!

With my cat, I’m sure to only get him toys that do not mimic rabbits (so none of those big “grab and kick” toys), and I play with him during the times he gets frisky. I’m had some bunnies that get spooked by him so I have to supervise them more closely, but my current bunnies pretty much ignore him so he ignores them.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• HipHopBunny
            Participant
            640 posts Send Private Message

I agree with what has been said above. 🙂

My cats and rabbits get along decently, not as well as I’d like them to, so I have them in different rooms. With my buns, 2 of them are bold and are not afraid of the cats, OB, on the other hand, is a timid bun, so I keep them in separate rooms so OB isn’t alone. 🙂 You mentioned in your post too that the cat is sweet and shy, so they will probably be fine, I would just watch them as DanaNM said. 🙂

Wishing you easy thinking!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Two bonded rabbits and a cat