Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Trying to Cope

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • AACardboardShredders
      Participant
      9 posts Send Private Message

My sweet, sassy girl Honey died nearly two weeks ago. In retrospect she was old for a rabbit of her size (~10lb, 8 years old) but I just wasn’t expecting her to go anytime soon.

It just felt so out of the blue. She never once acted like an old lady (our dutch, Chester, is old as sin and he sure lets you know  it! Such a grouch, hah), never had any issues getting around, or problems with her appetite.

I think she got stasis somehow, but I don’t know why, and I’ve been wracked with guilt trying to think of what I did wrong or maybe if I did this or that when I realized something was wrong she would still be here.

I guess I am still just in shock and struggling. People who haven’t had a rabbit don’t seem to understand, and I feel like a crazy person sometimes for sobbing my brains out over her.

She had her own condo (she and Chester actively disliked each other) and I’m just working on the courage to clean it out and dismantle it.

What did you do to cope?

• HipHopBunny
        Participant
        640 posts Send Private Message

Oh, I am so sorry! 😥

Please don’t blame yourself, you gave Honey everything she could have wanted in life, and more!

It is not crazy at all to be in shock, that’s perfectly normal. They were our dearest companions, something some people just can’t understand. Alas, nature must take its course, in the cruelest ways it seems sometimes. Know, though, that she is always with you. Watching over you, and guiding you through the journey you set out here to accomplish. 🙂

What helped me sometimes was to look at old pictures of them; to smile at the memories, and laugh at their antics! There is a world of good you can do just by giving a little smile or a genuine laugh. 🙂 Sometimes a good cry helps too, I always find that gets rid of a lot of powerful emotion.

I’m glad that you have Chester with you during this difficult time. He may be a little stinker at times, but even stinkers can cuddle. 😉 Give him lots of pets and cuddles for me!

Surround yourself with positivity and light, and the shadows will fall behind. If there are any little hobbies or activities that you enjoy doing, that would be wonderful. 🙂

Smile 🙂 Laugh 🙂 Be happy 🙂

• AACardboardShredders
            Participant

Thank you for the kind words.

We did drag out every picture we could find. I found that the videos in particular of her were really great to watch.

Her favorite thing to do was throw things, so I have a handful of videos where she is flinging plastic hangers. 😆

It really helps to have a place to vent it all out. I’ve mainly lurked on BinkyBunny, but I really appreciate the support.

• DanaNM
            8930 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry for your loss. 🙁 Sometimes when something very serious is wrong in rabbits, it presents like stasis (as stasis is really a symptom rather than an illness itself), but then it progresses very rapidly. She was a beautiful bun.<3

So please don’t beat yourself up. As much as we all expect and hope our rabbits live to 15, 8 is an old age, especially for a larger bun.

When my Bunston died (it actually sounds similar… he was 9 and crashed suddenly, it was very traumatic), I was devastated. It helped to start writing down happy memories of him whenever I would think of one. After a year or so, I finally felt ready to make a photo book of him (I eventually got a tattoo as well… but that’s not a solution for everyone!).

Giving your remaining bun some snuggles helps a lot. <3

(((Binky-free sweet Honey)))

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• AACardboardShredders
                Participant

Thank you for sharing about Bunston.

You’re right, 8 is good long life too and I keep trying to remind myself of that. Sometimes it just feels so surreal that Chester is still here and kicking (he’s around 14, we aren’t sure his exact age) and she’s gone. Over the last year I have been preparing myself for the possibility of him going (as I said, he definitely has started showing his age) but never thought about her going because she was “the baby.”

A photo book is a really great idea. I’ve also been considering commissioning a friend for a portrait of her to put with her ashes, but I’m not sure how I feel yet about having a sad little bunny corner. Talk about saddest shrine ever. Still trying to figure out what to do with her.

Side note, having a great time remembering my failed attempts to bond these two. They sometimes tolerated each other but just never clicked. It was frustrating but made really great memories.

• DanaNM
                8930 posts Send Private Message

I know what you mean, we just never know how long we have with them. 😥

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Trying to Cope