Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Trio better than a pair?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Catalina
      Participant
      132 posts Send Private Message

I was just wondering what experiences you have had with trios vs. pairs.  What happens when one of the bunnies in a pair dies?  Is it easier if they still have one friend than if they are alone?

Sorry weird question!  I was just thinking about other animals and wondered how bunnies react to losing their pack/flock/herd mate.

• Karla
        Participant
        1624 posts Send Private Message

I can only answer for how two bunnies respond when the third member in the trio dies, so I cannot compare it to what happens when one of the bunnies of a pair dies. However, I should clarify that every bunny is unique, so how one bunny reacts is not the same way another bunny would.

Anyways, when Jack was put to sleep in April, both Karl and Molly reacted strongly to it. Molly was crazy thumping all evening and night and running around frantically without pauses. It was impossible to get through to her. I gave her something to calm her down if I remember correctly. Karl changed behaviour as well. He was afraid of us and it was difficult to get near him for about a week, but a few times during these days, he came over to be petted and would ask for it for much longer than he usually does. So he clearly wanted cuddles, but his nervousness made it impossible for him most of the time.

Also, my trio used to snuggle quite a bit, but still do lots of things on their own. But after Jack’s death, Molly and Karl were attached to the hip. One could not go anywhere without the other. This went on for about a month or so.

The reason I actually got a trio in the first place was because I read how strongly bunnies react to their mate’s death, and I must say that I was happy that Molly and Karl had each other considering how they reacted.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s going to greatly depend how anyone reacts. In a trio (or quartet, etc…) not all rabbits will have the same relationship. Sometimes two are strongly bonded and the third just kind of… hangs out. In a quartet, all four get along, but they might still pair off as they feel comfortable. And these relationships are constantly evolving…

I have not had the unfortunate experience of losing a paired bunny, only a single. So I can’t speak on that, but again, I think it’s going to depend how the remaining rabbit(s) react to the loss. I wouldn’t purposely choose to have a single, a pair, or a trio, JUST for the fact that *someday*, *someone* is going to die. If you want to care for a pair or a trio, I say go for it… death is always hard and you’ll deal with it when that time comes.

• Andi
            Participant
            1048 posts Send Private Message

I kinda of like having that third or so bunny, so when it comes that one passes on, the other two (or more) still have each other. I think if it’s loosing your only friend, or just one from a group it may be easier if they have that other friends company. But some bunnies don’t react when one passes. If we can give that now single bunny a little extra attention when their friend does pass I think that helps them as well.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Trio better than a pair?