Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Trimming matted fur on the hocks

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Harley&Thumper
      Participant
      444 posts Send Private Message

Storm has plenty of mats on the bottom of her back feet. Is it safe for me to cut out the mats and leave just the unmatted fur or would I be risking sore hocks if I do that?

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

If the mats are on the bottom of the feet ie where she puts her weight, Id not cut it. Tufts that are sticking out to the side can be cut though.

Do you think the mats are bothering her in any way?

• Harley&Thumper
          Participant
          444 posts Send Private Message

I don’t think they are bothering her but I’ve always been under them impression that mats are bad.

• Wick & Fable
            5782 posts Send Private Message

Mats can be bad and bothersome, depending where they are. It is also beneficial to have fur at the bottom of the feet for extra cushioning as well! If you see it as being detrimental to her, so they are causing her to get stuck or dirty in a way she cannot manage, then perhaps. But if she seems fine, best to leave them! I’m sure she’ll appreciate no foot grooming as well, haha.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Bam
              16877 posts Send Private Message

Mats are bad on all body parts except underneath the feet. Under the feet of some buns, the hair gets matted much like felted wool. It works as padding, which is essential for buns because they don’t have the soft foot pads that cats or dogs have.

Some buns have sparse hair under their feet, especially Rex rabbits. This often causes problems that can develop into sore hocks (pododermatitis). It is because of the risk of pododermatitis that it’s not recommended to cut the hair under a bun’s feet.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Trimming matted fur on the hocks