Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Tricks?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • brook
      Participant
      55 posts Send Private Message

Can bunnies learn to do tricks?  I’m not sure what kind my boyfriend has in mind but he wanted me to ask if any of yours have mastered any.  I’m pretty sure that the only thing I care about him learning at this time is to use the litter box, but we would still like to know! Thanks

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

I understand you can clicker train your rabbit – many people have been successful doing this – I haven’t tried yet so I cannot give you any tips.

Here’s a link you can take a look at about it:

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/306

Sarita

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

Try the clicker training book, I actually got my library to order it and have yet to go pick it up…that reminds me I need to go pick it up! I’m also convincing them to carry more house rabbit books too. : ) Just my way of spreading the word of something one can do to educate the population about how wonderful bunnies are as indoor pets! = : ) Not only that, but have access to correct info on how to care for a bunny and not all about breeding. Yikes.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
            Participant
            2517 posts Send Private Message

We had this topic about a month ago… check this link: https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=2&postid=10000&view=topic

• MooBunnay
              Participant
              3087 posts Send Private Message

One trick my bunnies also learned is how to walk on their hind feet a few steps. It was pretty easy to teach them. My boyfriend feeds them a papaya treat every night, and a first he’s just feed it to them. Then he started making them periscope (stand on their back feet) to get it. Then he would hold it up until the stood on their back feet, and put it just a bit in front of them and they walk on their back feet to get it! Only a few of them do it though, Kramer is the very best at it, Henri can also do it quite well, and so can Martin, and Raymond does it OK but sometimes tips over however, the girls Juli, Grace, and Nilla Bean object to being turned into a toy and refuse until he gives in and just gives it to them!

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

Scarlet – uh oh, did I forget to send you a copy? I can be so spacey sometimes!

• BinkyBunny
                    Posted By brookintoledo on 09/17/2007 6:21 AM

…. I’m pretty sure that the only thing I care about him learning at this time is to use the litter box, but we would still like to know! Thanks

My bunnies, except for Bailey now, are pretty good with their litterbox habits, but at one point, I could get them to go to the litterbox by saying the word a few times.

I learned this somewhere on the internet and I can’t for the life of me find the link, but this is what I did.

Each time a bunny would lift up their tail to go in the wrong place, I would stop them and then walk behind them following them/herding them to their litterbox, all the while saying the word "litterbox" over and over.   Of course they just thought I was a big annoying dufus and eventually they jumped in the litterbox just in hopes of escaping this annoyance.  (caution: other humans in the household may find this annoying too!)   As soon as they jumped in the box, I would back away, and leave them alone.    I also offered a treat, but for Bailey, she took that as me approaching her again, and with her it ended up making her jump out.

If where you are is too big and you’d be following your bunny around for too long then place your bunny near the litterbox and block her/his way so that she can only go into the litterbox (STILL SAY "litterbox" over and over.

I did this for about a week and they started to get that the word litterbox meant for them to go into the box.  They could also have thought that the word litterbox meant you’d be annoying them again, and the only place to go to escape that was in the litterbox.  Either way, the end result is them in the litterbox.

You can also do this when they are not peeing/pooping just to get them to learn the word.

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant

Binky Bunny, what do you mean send me a copy? Nope you hadn’t forgotten, I wanted to take a look at it first before I buy it, besides it helps spread the word in my community that hey, you can clicker train your rabbit. I picked it up and can’t wait to get started!

• BinkyBunny

I meant send you a copy of that book.  I thought I was planning on doing that a few months back. You don’t have to buy it since I sent you a copy….. but if I already did, then good.  There are so many things on my to do list, and I figured  when you said you were going to look at it, that I just forgot to send you a copy.  If I’ve still confused you, you can email me.

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant

Totally baffled here. I had my library special order it and I’m the first one to check it out.  : ) YAY! I think that they ordered a total of 3 for circulation and I am happy that the other two were snapped up within a week of arriving at the library! I’m going to see if they will carry the House Rabbit Handbook next.

• xxtinkxx
                          Participant
                          22 posts Send Private Message

hi,

my bunny roger does the same as moobunnay’s rabbit but i used dandiloin leaves works a treat

jenni x

• Scarlet_Rose
                            Participant

That’s a great tip! Thank you for sharing!

• Vinnie D.
                              Participant
                              55 posts Send Private Message

That’s a good tip. Nel is good with the one in her cage but can’t quite zero in on the one outside. She gets near, but never quite in. I’ll have to try that.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Tricks?