Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Trancing???

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • jerseygirl
      22345 posts Send Private Message

What’s the general consensus on trancing?  I did a search for previous posts on this and they were from couple years ago.  I gathered from them it is considered safe.  I’ve done it maybe 3 times as a way to calm Jersey.  If she struggled badly while I attempted to cut nails or when I’ve wanted to check her over.  I bring her out pretty quickly as I don’t know enough about it.  Obviously, they appear calm once “out” but are they more stressed on coming out of it?

Also, does anyone know what goes on biologically during this?   Is it putting them on their backs that’s doing something to their balance centre or triggering something in their brain receptors?  If they have this ‘play dead instinct’ can they put themselves into it or is it when a predator puts them in a defenceless position?

Sorry for all the questions!  If anybody knows more on the subject or where to direct me, it would be much appreciated!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

I’ve read mixed things; I use it to do nails and anal glands; Its convenient for that but i understand most don’t like it, so I don’t just do it for no reason. I don’t think its harmful in any way though

• BinkyBunny
          8776 posts Send Private Message

I do it when I have to clip their nails, but according to a couple of rabbit savvy experts I’ve talked with as well as the book “Why Does My Rabbit…” (pg 179)
            it is not actually “calming” for the rabbit. It is a “play dead” type of behavior. (low heart rate, relaxed muscles are all part of that) It is an instinctual response that helps trick predators into loosening their grip so that the rabbit can pop up and escape. (that’s why sometimes you have to be careful as bunnies will “pop” out of the trance right when you are clipping their nails.)

It is actually stressful for them, so I only recommend doing it when you have to – like clipping nails and cleaning anal glands.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

i used to be able to do it with my first rabbit, Stephen. i tried it a couple times with Meadow but i could never get her to “go under” (something about her “being in charge”…? lol!) i have not tried it with Max. i take them to the vet for nail trims, so for now, it’s not really necessary for me to do it.

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

IMO, trancing is as stressful for buns as is picking them up or putting them into a carrier and taking them on a car ride. Yes, it’s stressful but sometimes it is MORE stressful if you don’t do it. If you can get all their nails trimmed in a couple of minutes via trancing, it is better than struggling with them for 15 minutes trying to get at all of their claws.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant

Markus is it even POSSIBLE to trance stroppy little Maryann??

• jerseygirl

Yeah, my feeling is that it’s doesn’t seem natural, hence my doubts. I can’t actually trim nails under trance, that is, bunny under trance, not me! Any movement and she’s up. She does ok with the trims and accepts it til it’s over by the time I get to her rear paws. I did use it to sneak meds into her because it just had to be done. So I gather trancing is more of a handling convenience for the owner.

Anyone got anything on technical side of things? How they ‘go under’?

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s the rhythym of of the movement and it’s reptitiveness. I know BB has expertise in T-touch and it may run along those lines. Think about it though, you can stroke a baby’s head and soothe them as well. I think it just calms the nerves.

• jerseygirl

Is T-touch kinesiology? I’m very interested in this.

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

I think so.  Here is a web site with more info.  T-Touch is short for “Tellington Touch.”

http://www.lindatellington-jones.com/whatisTTouch.shtml

• MooBunnay
                          Participant
                          3087 posts Send Private Message

I bought a book awhile ago called “The Relaxed Rabbit: Massage for Your Pet Bunny” – I found it very interesting. It teaches you where all the bunny’s organs and bones are so that you know which parts not to put too much pressure on, and which parts to massage. It also teaches you different massaging techniques. One example is I learned how to rub my bunnies shoulders, and if you go one direction its supposed to calm them, and the other is supposed to energize them (hmm, I can’t remember which now…need to go look that up) – but its a great way to spend time with your bunny and help them relax. Its probably more calming for them than trancing because they stay upright with all their four feeties on the ground!

• Beka27
                            Participant
                            16016 posts Send Private Message

lol!!! yeah MooBunnay, you might not want to mix up those two massages… that could be disastrous!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                              Participant

Oooohh T-touch…I was sort of instructed in that a little when i volunteered in a dog shelter-its neat!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Trancing???