Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Trancing bunny?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • FluffyBunny
      Participant
      1263 posts Send Private Message

Well, I don’t really need to know how to trance Mr. Bunny as much as I need to know how to hold him down and KEEP him tranced.

I frequently try to trance Mr. Bunny, and haven’t ever had any luck. I think I know how to do it…You flip them on their back and pet their faces? Anyway, Mr. Bunny does NOT like being on his back. He’ll kick and bite if you’re holding too hard for him to flip himself back over – Which he always does. In the few cases where I’ve been successful holding him down, he started calming down, putting his head back, he even closed his eyes once…Then he bites my hand and flips himself over, no matter how hard I’m holding him. I also have little success bunny-burritoing him, as soon as I put him on the blanket he knows what I’m doing and jolts away (even if I pet him). If I manage to wrap him, he struggles with all his power to get out of the blanket and usually succeeds.

Help please? Am I trying to do it wrong, or is he just a bunny that can’t be tranced? I have no need to trance him, though it might make nail-trims easier and I could clean his anal glands…

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

It helps if you rub his head from his nose to up between his ears once he is on his back. Most bunnies will go into a temporary trance, and so they will pop up and try to escape (as this whole thing is an escape technique) but with Jack, i will rub his head the moment I notice he is beginning to pop up.

So try to rub his head from nose to ears  once you get him on his back  and see if that helps.

• FluffyBunny
          Participant

Okay, I’ll try, thanks!

• riibu
            Participant
            60 posts Send Private Message

I haven’t been at all successful in trancing Owen.  I can get him to zone out by rubbing his head long enough, but he comes to as soon as you make a move to flip him on his back or pretty much any other movement.  Is this just me (I’m still new to the whole rabbit thing, so I’m a bit inexperienced in all of this), or is he likely just untrancable?

• BinkyBunny

OH, riibu, i meant rubbing his head once you have him on his back.

Also what might help, is being lower to the ground. I know for some bunnies, that makes them feel more inclined to struggle with the escape route being so close, but with mine being lower makes it less scary.

• FluffyBunny
                Participant

I’ve noticed Mr. Bunny sits more still in my lap when I’m sitting higher up…Though I don’t want him to struggle free and hurt himself…Hmm, I’ll try it on the ground first ^^

• BinkyBunny

I also found this video of a girl trancing her bunny.  The only thing that you should do differently is make sure that the bunny is secure on all sides at all times once you start clipping, and the back legs need to be up against you or something because if they come out of the trance and kick the air they can break their back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Ua5cpB_V8

• FluffyBunny
                    Participant

If Mr. Bunny was like that bunny and didn’t struggle (and was smaller lol) it would be super easy!

• FluffyBunny
                      Participant

Hey, just wanted to say that with BB’s advice I was able to trance him…And keep him tranced! You no longer need to reply here

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

Ok, I just videotaped my method. I can trance any bunny (bragging LOL) so here’s my method. I grip the front legs with one hand, the back with the other, this prevents them from kicking or struggling and helps them feel secure. Remember if your nervous they will be nervous. Then in one motion I tilt them on their backs in the crook of my arm, like a baby. Works every time

Forgive me I don’t know how to imbed videos -just click the link

Trancing Rupert

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc181/kokaneeandkuhluha/?action=view&current=MVI_1906.flv

s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc181/kokaneeandkuhluha/

Trancing Kahlua

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc181/kokaneeandkuhluha/?action=view&current=MVI_1907.flv

s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc181/kokaneeandkuhluha/

• jerseygirl
                          22345 posts Send Private Message

Oh, how little is Kahlua! I barely saw she was there until you flipped her over.

Slightly off topic, I kinda got side tracked on the youtube link BB posted. I watched “hypnotize rabbit with Wendi Friesen”…..*snort* she’s a bit clueless with rabbits….

• riibu
                            Participant
                            60 posts Send Private Message

Oh goodness, if I didn’t give him some head rubs I would have zero chance of getting Owen flipped.

I just put in a good session of trying again and I still can’t get him picked up without him struggling out of my hands, let alone in a trance. *sigh*

• BinkyBunny

riibu, sorry, I didn’t mean you couldn’t give head rubs prior.

Maybe what you should then try to do is just get used to picking him up or rather get him used to being picked up. Pick him up and pet him and offer a treat – WITHOUT trying to turn him over. Jack is not one who likes it either, but I have gotten him to tolerate it. That way at least you may get him to tolerate picking him up, and then once you think you have that mastered, then try the flip and trance.

• BinkyBunny

WANTED TO ADD:

Thanks KK for those tips about holding the bunnies feet!

Jerseygirl – OMG. That video you were talking about…hilarious due to her innocence regarding understanding! Her video didn’t automatically come up to accompany the video I linked to when I went there, but I just typed in “hypnotize rabbit with Wendi Friesen” and it came up. Looks like many others already told her that she wasn’t REALLY relaxing or hypnotising, but you could tell she wasn’t meaning to harm her bunny, just that the video itself was so funny with her interpretation of what she thought she was doing. I couldn’t help from giggling.

• jerseygirl
                                  22345 posts Send Private Message

I know!^ I saw another one too. She was hamming it up a bit i think. From what I gather, someone brought their bunny in to the workplace/studio or where ever it was so she mighta got a trance your bunny 101 from them. Anyway, was good laugh!

• MarkBun
                                    Participant
                                    2842 posts Send Private Message

KK, for what it is worth, I don’t think in the vid that Rupert was tranced. I think he just like being held and pet. He seemed too alert IMO.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                      Participant
                                      12067 posts Send Private Message

True, he takes a while to go under, just showing how i flip them over Dave can get him to lay on the carpet without being held-he trances much nicer for daddy

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Trancing bunny?