Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Toys

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • bobbles
      Participant
      15 posts Send Private Message

My bun doesnt seem to play, which I think is odd. I dont know if it’s the lack of selection(TP rolls, stuffed animal, wood ball, and socks(lol)) or if where sees at in our house (by our couch). Im thinking about moving her when shes out, but then I wont be able to sit with her as long. The couch area is not that big. An x-pen would not fit in the area. Any advice?

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

Hi! Maybe its also the time of day that she has play time? My buns are definitely the most active in the early morning (they are frantically renovating their willow tunnels and cardboard boxes at the moment!) and in the early evening (thats when I get all the binkies!) The rest of the day they are more calm and sleepy. Also, I think your bunny is very big, right? In my experience those are definitely the most calm bunnies and are always very chilled out! Their favorite thing is just to get some attention and pets, and they can be quite satisfied with that. My bunnies are very active, but they are the smaller breeds, but my boyfriend has a larger breed (a mix of brreds named Henri) and Henri is very content to sleep alllll day, then then eat…and then sometimes eat wihle sleeping…sometimes he gets so lazy he will just much on peices of hay around his sleep area so he doesn’t have to get up!

• BinkyBunny
          8776 posts Send Private Message

Also, as bunnies get older, they are more loungers, and I have to think of new ways to get them more active. 

Many bunnies like to explore, so boxes entry exit holes are good.  I like to put an extra touch and stuff treats up in the corners – you can check out the archive area of the toytest section to see the boredom buster box.  Tubes are usually a favorite too.  You can get cardboard tubes (meant for pouring concrete through from home depot or a store like that.  They cost around 8 dollars here for a 5 footer.

Also, if she has a regular path, block that path with something she’d have to chew or move out of the way.  – Like a phone book.   That’s what bunnies do in the wild – clear paths. 

OH, and it’s a good idea to switch out toys, boxes etc every few days (I have to remember to do that too!)

When it comes to food time, you can put her food in a paper bag filled with hay (see latest toy test) OR scatter it around in little hidey spots, so she has to search for it.   This is what their bodies and minds are set to do anyway, plus it’s great exercise – good for very large bunnies that have a tendency to lounge more.

As far as where her location is?  Where is she right now, what is her view?

• bobbles
            Participant
            15 posts Send Private Message

She is by our front door cause the couch helps as a barrier. She does go over to her old area cause of the sliding glass door. The area is smaller than the old area. I am going to save up for an x-pen, but I’m thinking that her cage should be upgraded first. Way tooo small for her. Or not?

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

Some people just use pens as their bunnies cage – which is great.  You just want to make sure to give him a hidey box and if’ he’s a jumper, then don’t put the hidey box near the edge.

I love the pen set-up because I find it easy to clean.  And the for 6 bucks, we got a hidey box from target – basically a plastic storage bin turned upside down with two holes cut in the side. (those are the green bins in the third picture)

For flooring we use vinyl sheeting and little area rugs or carpet samples.  Both which I got for cheap as remnants at a flooring store.  The first two pictures show a rather empty pen, but it’s just to show the basic set-up of pen and vinyl flooring, and then you can add area rugs, sample carpets, food, water etc etc.

You can see more examples of pet set-ups in the "Cool Habitats" section.  Below are just a couple of examples.

Also, check your local for sale ads – like Craigslist.org, and see if there are any used xpens you can buy cheaper.

I’ve even included Osprey’s set-up.   That’s the last one.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Toys