Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Tooth Trimming

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Mykl
      Participant
      68 posts Send Private Message

(I posting on behalf of my friend as her internet isn’t working)

My friend’s rabbit has had her lower front two teeth removed due to constant infection that just wouldn’t go away and eventually started causing problems with one eye and nostril. The teeth were taken out about two months ago and the upper front teeth are still growing. At some point they will probably need to be trimmed but whenever the vet does something like that it’s fairly traumatic for the rabbit and they’re left with very short, jagged stumps. As she can’t use her top front teeth any more they won’t get ground down and would stay jagged, risking cut lips. Are there different ways to shortening rabbit teeth that might be a better option?

• tobyluv
        Participant
        3310 posts Send Private Message

It is fairly traumatic for a rabbit to have its teeth trimmed, especially if it has to be done repeatedly throughout its life. Instead of clipping the teeth, a vet can use a drill to grind them down and shorten them, but that would take longer and  would still be hard on the rabbit.  And repeated trimming can lead to other problems, even a shattered jaw in extreme cases. It’s too bad that the vet didn’t remove both lower and upper front teeth during surgery. The best plan would probably be to go ahead and remove the upper front teeth now. A rabbit can cope with missing front teeth and can still eat well. You may have to cut up the veggies/greens into smaller pieces for a rabbit with no front teeth, but they can draw in food and chew it with their back teeth. There is a rabbit at the Sanctuary where I volunteer who had severe malocclusion and had all his front teeth removed several years ago. He is still going strong.

• Mykl
          Participant

We’re aware of the possible need to remove the upper teeth but we really don’t want to. She didn’t cope well the first time. We had to hand feed her with a syringe every hour for two weeks. After two months she still isn’t eating properly and she’s lost a lot of weight.

• flemishwhite
            Participant
            195 posts Send Private Message

Loosing weight is a bad sign for a bunny with teeth problems. There’s been some advice in the previous postings to help bunny eat. Fortunatly I have two local vets that are very expert with bunny care. I realize that many of our forum members don’t live near bunny expert doctors.  If a rabbit doesn’t eat, it’s health goes down very fast.  None eating means….with a high probability … tthe buny needs rabbit veterinarian care soon.

• Mykl
              Participant

She’s eating, she just doesn’t scoff like she used to. She used to be such a fat pig! She’s perfectly happy, and of course she can binky better with less body to fling around.

• RafaelaM89
                Participant
                11 posts Send Private Message

Honestly Mykl she really might take having her teeth removed the 2nd time alot better than the first. I know it was really hard to see and go through that with her, but in the long run it might ultimately be the best decision for her. Especially if it will have to be done multiple times. I sure hope she gets to feeling “Normal” again, however that might be for her, and either way, show her lots and lots of love!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Tooth Trimming