Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A to nap or not to nap???? pick up questions

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ang
      Participant
      257 posts Send Private Message

question,

when i adopted my buns the other day from the rescure the lady was picking them up by the naps of their necks similar to a kitten,  she told me that is how to pick up the bun.  i just slide my hand across the back and under him and grab him that way.  which is the proper way to pick him up? i am trying not to get bit.  i know now i need to give him his space but if i have to pick him up with out his concent how do i do this?

• bunnytowne
        Participant
        7537 posts Send Private Message

put a hand under his chest and one under his hiney and hind legs.  Hmm I wonder if there is any drawing to demonstrate. And where it would be found.   Anyone know?

• Princess*Smudge
          Participant
          285 posts Send Private Message

I’m pretty sure picking a bun up by the neck is not safe for the bun, they could seriously injure themselves. They tend to get frightened with being lifted off the ground because they are prey animals. The best way is similar to what it sounds like you are doing, but I’m not quite sure what you mean. Support the bun’s chest with one hand and (ESPECIALLY) his back end with the other. It’s is more secure this way if he tries to kick away. A bun can really hurt itself kicking in the air, they are really powerful. Another way to carry him (once you’ve picked him up) would be to hold him with all four paws on your chest his head close to your shoulder, one hand supporting his bum the other on his back. This is how my bun likes to be carried. I can pick her up the first way described but she is still fearful, I think because they like to have all four feet touching something solid. Hiding his eyes as you’re caring him might also help with him being frightened. I hope this helps a little bit. More people will probably be along to help out if I was confusing hehe.

If you have an extremely scared bun who tries to bite you everytime I think the best way would be to use a towel or blanket to help you. Take the towel and put it over the bun (covering his eyes with the towel might help here too) and as you scoop him up wrap him up in the towel and hold him like I said before against your chest supporting his bum. Another tip is when putting him down to stop him from falling or trying to kick away. Get down on your knees and lower him from there. It is a lot small of a drop if he does manage to get away and less scary for him

Also don’t get discouraged alot of rabbits never like being picked up or carried. It’s just not in their nature to feel safe when this is happening. However when you’re down on their level or on a couch they can still be affectionate because they feel safe. Others are just never “cuddly”

Anyways hope this helps!

• Princess*Smudge
            Participant
            285 posts Send Private Message

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp
              Bunnytowne I decided to try and find something with pictures so of course I googled, I was shocked at all the pictures of people holding rabbits TERRIBLY.

This site has some good pictures of what I was trying to describe, and some more descriptions. The 2nd carrying position it shows looks a little awkward in the picture but it still sounds supportive, it might just be a personal preference.

• Ang
              Participant
              257 posts Send Private Message

thank you so much, my bun is usually calm was calm at the shelter let me hold him for an hour and just sat there i dont know if this was because he was scared too hot since he was housed outside or is just freaked now. he kicks around alot and has jumped out of my hands. i am very careful now and he has started to lunge at you when you put our hand in the cage

• MarkBun
                Participant
                2842 posts Send Private Message

If you go to youtube and do a search for “Picking up rabbit”, you’ll find a couple of vids about it and I do approve of their methods. The show you how to hold and carry a bunny.

I scruff one of my buns (aka ‘nap’) because it is the only way she feels safe when being picked up. I do put my hand under her bum before she’s even off the ground though to support her. JUST by the scruff can paralyze or kill a rabbit if they kick too hard. I had been told by people who run shelters that see me pick up my bun that way that it is the wrong way but I have also seen my rabbit escape their scoop attempt and take a header into the hard floor. But Maryann is the exception to the rule. Scruffing should not be done.

Some buns are much more ‘calm’ in shelters and other areas when you handle them because they aren’t being socialized much and any attention is wanted. When you get home though, they begin to be less scared and that is when they begin to show themselves and take over the place. A rabbit can be very territorial when it comes to their home/cage and will lunge at you to say “Stay out of my home!”

• osprey
                  Participant
                  2065 posts Send Private Message

Here is a video we did about how to handle your bunny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj1xJFyRj2Y

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A to nap or not to nap???? pick up questions