Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING To Bond or not to Bond

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Snacks
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

Hello! Allow me to introduce my bunny: Timothy

Despite the name the gender is: Female!

Health: Vet says she’s a good weight, everything is looking good
        Altered: Spade at 4 years (pretty late I know)

Timothy has always been a very up-beat and independent bunny. She enjoys exploring and foraging far more then she enjoys social time with me. But I do feel a significant bond, tho I dunno if I’d call it a capitol B Bond. She likes pets and returning the favor with licks! She does get social interaction from me. On her introverted terms. At the beginning of this year I adopted a male “Alfalfa” But COVID hit and the shelter that was going to do the neuter was out of commission (As a foster Alfalfa was already in my home). So I was forced to keep them unaltered and therefor unbonded. In this time I was unable to keep their enclosures (12ft x 8 ft) in separate rooms. I kept their vision blocked but I really goofed it up from the start. They became territorial immediately, lots of peeing and pooping. A few times Alfalfa got into Tims territory. It was a bad experience I think for Timothy. No serious big fights but I think it was an overall territorial rivalry.

So sadly shortly after being neutered Alfalfa died of GI stasis. I was literally going to start the hard work of bonding a few days later. (Too soon, I know). And Timothy… honestly seems better for it I hate to say. She is way more relaxed, more able to just be herself. Litter habits are good. For a bit she was looking around for Alfalfa and pooping all around the perimeter of his enclosure. She doesn’t seem to be on guard as much and through my grief of losing Alfalfa I’ve been comforted in some small way by the relief of seeing Timothy back to her old self. I didn’t realize how much she was stressing and feeling extra alert when Alfy was around.

So here’s where I have to wonder. I would honestly like another rabbit. But only if it is good for Timothy. Do I adopt another male, start with them neutered and do the entire thing by the book? Or has Timothy had too many bad experiences and grown too accustomed to this life with me and therefor she could be happiest without a buddy?

Please step away from the electric hay.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

So sorry again for your loss of Alfalfa. 🙁

It is very normal for rabbits to lose litter box habits and be on alert when a strange bunny (especially an un-neutered one) comes into their territory, but this all usually settles down once they are bonded. Most rabbits do seem happier with a friend, but by all means wait until you are ready and want another bun. Even when rabbits are close to their humans, there are many hours a day when they aren’t with you (like when you’re sleeping or busy). So during those times they always have their bunny friend to snuggle with. But, there is no need to rush it, and only take it on if you are ready. Ideally you could adopt a rabbit that was already neutered/spayed so you wouldn’t have to do that part all over again.

It is also sometimes helpful to take bunnies on “speed dates” with eligible suitors. That can help find a bunny that bond more easily, or at least find one they don’t hate. How hard the bonding process is doesn’t tell you anything about how closely they will be bonded once the process is over. I actually have noticed some of my hardest bonds ended up as the most tightly bonded bunnies (I definitely questioned whether it was the right move so many times during that process though)!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING To Bond or not to Bond