Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A tiny skin wound

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • thumz
      Participant
      14 posts Send Private Message

i noticed that my 2 month old mini-lop bunny has a couple tiny skin wounds that look like a red dot.  could that be due to her previous home? she used to live in a hutch with 6 other rabbits. i just got her not that long ago & she seems perfectly fine overall. i was just worried that would be a more serious skin disease than i thought. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome thumz!   Aw, I’m sorry to hear about your bunny.  It’s hard to say what’s wrong, but she could have fur mites or fleas.  Fleas are really good about hiding.   The place that they like to hang out the most when they are hiding is on the hind area. But they seem to like to bite first down along the spine area.

I recommend you take her to a rabbit savvy vet. Don’t try any over the counter meds for mites, and only a couple of flea treatments are safe for rabbits.  And since you don’t know exactly what it is, it’s best to get established with a good vet that is experienced with rabbits anyway.

Keep us updated!

• poopy
          Participant
          684 posts Send Private Message

Regarding fleas, try and watch the red dot and see if it moves. If it moves, then you know its a flea. If you’re certain its a skin wound, and there are only 2, I would keep an eye on it and see if it heals. If there are alot of those like a rash, then take her to a vet.

• skunklionshow
            Participant
            1257 posts Send Private Message

Just a tip about fleas….(my ex tech husband told me this).

If you find flea dirt (dark flecks on the fur) slightly moisten it w/ water and see if it turns reddish/red.  Flea dirt is flea poop.  B/c its the excremite from fleas it is mostly blood.  Flea dirt is easily found either above the tail (end of spine) or on buns at the base of the back near the hindquarters.

I also suggest you see the vet…I’ve learned that its better safe than sorry.

• thumz
              Participant
              14 posts Send Private Message

thank you all for your replies. the red spot doesn’t move, i’m sure it’s a little wound & it’s not a rash so, i’ll wait a bit & see if it heals. also, her sister’s skin [ i got them together] is perfectly fine. wouldn’t she also have signs of something since they have been together all along? i can’t find any flea dirt either.

thanks again for the fast replies

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

Oh, I didn’t make myself clear…l was meaning that the red dots would be a result of bites from where fleas feed. Some bunnies skin can get really irritated by it.
                  She could have also gotten into a tussle with another rabbit since she was living with six of them, and this may have been the left over marks that are just healing.

Either way though it’s always a good idea to get established with a rabbit savvy vet when you get a new bunny. So I also still suggest a checkup.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A tiny skin wound