Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A TigerLily has Diarreah 6 days afetr surgery!

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    • BUNNYFOOFOO823
      Participant
      104 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

Im so sorry to bug you all, but I just checked on TigerLily and i noticed she has dark diarreah in her cage she has been eating normally, but not drinking an awful lot of water. She seems tired but she has played a lilttle bit gently with her toys. Should I be very worried? Is this normal?

• Cassi&Charlie
        Participant
        1260 posts Send Private Message

If she’s eating and pooing normally I think it’s fine. I’m not a vet, and I don’t know enough about rabbit health to give you proper advice but when my bunny Layla was spayed her poops didn’t return to normal for about a week. They were small and dark for the most part but many of them were unformed.

When you say diarreah, so you mean really runny or do you mean shapeless? With bunnies think there is a difference in urgency between a shapelyess pile of poo and really runny, liqued poo.

• BUNNYFOOFOO823
          Participant

its not liquid its more like melted chocolate consistency. She has pooped some normal poops and some are slightly smaller but she is eating normal in my opinion. I worry too muhc and Im sorry for all my posts i just love my little bun so so much! Thank you Cassi your note helped me relax a bit

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

Hi!

Not to make you “unrelax” – but runny poops are not a good sign. Is she eating her hay? I would definitely recommend at the very least calling your vet and explaining this – your vet should be able to tell you how normal this is after surgery. If I have a bunny with runny poops, I pay very close attention to what they are eating, at the point of 6 days after surgery, a bunny should be back to eating hay as normal, so make sure she is eating well. If she is not eating, or only eating her treats then you should probably take her back to the vet. She may be feeling pain from the surgery that could be causing stasis.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

Is your bun on antibiotics or pain killers right now or in the past few days since surgery?

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

you said yesterday that she was eating hay and veggies, but not eating her pellets yet (5 days post-surgery). did she eat the pellets yesterday? it might be possible that after days of not having pellets, suddenly eating her normal amount has upset her system. the mushy poop could be unformed cecals…

• BUNNYFOOFOO823
                  Participant

They did not give me any pain killers for her, she is eating pellets finally! I am worried She seems sad to me. I brought her in to work with me today so i could keep an eye on her, she gets excited when i give her veggies or treats and is eating normally i would say. I have no seen any more diarreah today but she seems sad I dunno what to do!

• Sarita
                    Participant
                    18851 posts Send Private Message

Most rabbits do not get true diarrhea – that would be rare. It could be she is over producing cecals though.

• BUNNYFOOFOO823
                      Participant

i called the vet who did the spay and i will be taking her in tomorrow, i am hoping he can help me put my mind at ease. I am so worried about my little bunny.
                        I feel awful and I know we did the right thing by getting her spayed but i am having my doubts because she seems so sad

• Sarita
                        Participant
                        18851 posts Send Private Message

That’s good you are taking her in.

Why do you think she seems sad?

• Beka27
                          Participant

oh good. keep us posted on what your vet says…

• KatnipCrzy
                            Participant
                            2981 posts Send Private Message

BunnyFooFoo- please don’t be sad, you were doing what was best for you beloved bunny.  Please keep us updated and I will keep my fingers crossed for a quick recovery for Tiger Lily.  Someday soon you will look back on this and be glad that the spay and nerve-wracking recovery is over!

• BUNNYFOOFOO823
                              Participant

I think she is sad because normally she is Hopping around and giving me and my husband kisses and chin rubbing us and playing.

She is not doing any of these things, she seems to be terrified of us except when we give her treats.

I took her into the office today and she slept most of the day, when we got home the house was cold as I left the windows open and it has been chilly all day (there is light snow cover on the mountains 20 miles away from my home, i can see it out the window).

I washed her blankies and put them in the dryer for her and gave them to her while they were a bit warm, she quickly snuggled into them and is now napping, she seemed a wee bit happier. But she is still afraid of me

Her vet advised me earlier to let her out a little while in the hopes her spirits would be up, she was content to be out but was still not her true TigerLily self. I am thinking perhaps she is in pain

Thank you all for your warm wishes and prayers I will let you all know what is going on tomorrow, she is going to see the Dr at 10:30am PT.

Nite nite <3 Marilu

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant
                                12067 posts Send Private Message

{{ VIBES }} Keep us posted and stay calm *hugs*

• Beka27
                                  Participant

some of the change in behavior might be the decrease in hormones too. pre-spay she was full of hormones and that would cause overly-affectionate, “wanting to mate” type behavior… it does not sound like she’s sad, as much as she is probably just calming down. plus, she just went thru a very serious operation so she still might not be feeling quite like herself… give her time. interact with her on her terms…

• BUNNYFOOFOO823
                                    Participant

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to report that as I woke up this morning TigerLily seemed to be doing way better than in the past few days! She has eaten all her hay and pellets and her poops seem to be normal once more (thank God!).

She was active in her pen, walking around and playing like she used to before the surgery. I called the vet and we both agreed we should leave her be today I think the car ride and transport from her pen to the carrier would make her upset again and throw her off cue. So since she is eating and pooping I’m just going to let her be for the day.

I think she is definitely feeling 100% better, you can really tell on her little face

Thank you all for the vibes and hugs you’ve no idea how much your advice and support has meant to this worried bunny mom.

<3

Marilu

• Beka27
                                      Participant

oh good!

• Cassi&Charlie
                                        Participant
                                        1260 posts Send Private Message

Good to hear Tigerlily is back to her bouncy happy self again! I know that when you get them spayed you feel as if it’s all your fault but they’ll be much happier in the long run! You did the right thing and it’s always better to be a little bit worried & safe rather than sorry!

• KatnipCrzy
                                          Participant
                                          2981 posts Send Private Message

Yeah!  glad to hear that TigerLily is feeling better.  Of course now you have an ulcer from worrying so much, and probably a tension headache and are in dire need of a massage…but your bunny is OK and that makes everything right in the world! 

• Scarlet_Rose
                                            Participant
                                            4293 posts Send Private Message

I am glad to hear that Tigerlily is doing much better. Don’t worry one bit about posting your concerns and questions. We all understand the worry our furry companions cause us, especially since they communicate so differently from us.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A TigerLily has Diarreah 6 days afetr surgery!