Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Thumping at night

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cazzy
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

Hi. My bunny used to settle in his cage at night but a week ago he started thumping for no reason. I got up and finally got him to settle in the lounge out if his cage. Since then he has happily gone to sleep on a chair in the lounge rather than in his cage. But he got spooked again last night for no real reason. Why would this be happening and what is best, lock him up again at night or leave him out? He is an indoor bunny,free range during the day and has his dirt box and sleeping rug in his cage. Thanks

• LittleLionMan
        Participant
        133 posts Send Private Message

Are there any noises or things that are spooking him potentially? Or do you think he’s just upset being penned up since he’s free roam?

Have you seen his posture when he does thumps? Usually if my bun is afraid he will be rigid, standing pretty stiff and up right. Typically I’ll look around to see what he’s looking at so I can help resolve if. It’s mostly a random laundry basket I brought in that was then deemed to be an intruder. on the other hand, if annoyed his body will be more relaxed but he’s just expressing his disdain for something — like being penned up. maybe he just wants the luxury of your chair in the lounge!

• Wick & Fable
          5781 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits can sense things that we cannot, so it is possible that he has been picking up on something that you cannot perceive– in which case, there’s not much you can do but let him habituate to it. Regarding the environment, just make sure there is a place he considers a “safe space” he can go to if he is feeling scared.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Cazzy
              Participant

Hi, by the time we get to him hes hiding in one of his tunnels and continues to thump until I can talk him into being calm again. I cant see his posture but he will settle eventually. I have a very dim night light that I will try as he can still go into his box to sleep if he wants.

• Cazzy
              Participant

So Mr Bun is back to thumping. Ive seen his posture a few times and he doesnt appear frightened. Hes still crouching and his eyes are not super wide showing the whites. Sometimes we are are in the room. It feels like hes sending a warning thump but for what purpose I am not sure. Hes worse at night when its really quiet.

• MooseMouse
                Participant
                49 posts Send Private Message

I saw a similar post elsewhere and I vaguely remember that it had to do with outside critters or a mouse go into the house for that person. Turns out their bunny was able to sense the mouse in the house faster than the hoomin could find any signs of it! hopefully this isn’t your situation but i though i would share it

• LBJ10
                  16897 posts Send Private Message

Have you tried a night light? I know it sounds weird, but some bunnies like having a low light (like it’s dusk) and it makes them feel safer.

• Cazzy
                    Participant

Thanks everyone. We’ve added a night light and also found a hole where we suspect a mouse may well have been coming in and covered it. All seems to be quiet again🐇🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Thumping at night