Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Thoughts/tips on bonding three buns?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • WonderToast
      Participant
      12 posts Send Private Message

So I currently have two buns. Today I made the mistake of going to the new pet store in our mall. They had one single little bun, who booped my hand real good when I reached in the pen and I immediately fell in love, and now I cant stop thinking about it and how some family will probably end up buying it for their kid as an Easter present and have no idea how to take care of it, and that makes me so sad. So now I’m trying to figure the logistics of actually adopting this bun. Sir Max and Tillie are the first bonded pair I’ve ever had, so have no idea how to introduce a third bun into the mix. Thoughts? Tips? What am I potentially getting myself into here? How realistic is this idea at all??

• Doodler
        Participant
        337 posts Send Private Message

Unless it’s a true adoption I personally wouldn’t do it. I know it’s hard when you fall in love to leave them. The thing to consider is that if you buy him the pet store will probably get another to replace him and that bunny could end up in that same fate. That’s the problem with pet stores. It tends to be an endless cycle and people who buy pets out of the kindness of their heart just gives them money to keep doing the same thing.

If it’s truly an adoption I would only do it if you wanted a trio. The thing to consider is that the bond your current two have could be broken by adding a third so you want to consider that risk. Having just finished a bonding not too long ago I don’t have the strength to deal with that again anytime soon.

• Lucybunz
          Participant
          34 posts Send Private Message

I currently have a bonded male and female. For about 2.5 years it’s been them and my cat.

I took in a female for a friend that couldn’t house her anymore and I am exhausted!
            My female is being very territorial and chases and nips the other. The only times she has been nice is after a car ride. It has only been a couple of days and my bonded pair seem fine (a little nipping/chasing) but still cuddles.

Moose (the new girl). Is very sweet and cuddly suth me and I am making sure to give the others cuddles too, but I can see my other female watching the whole time.
            It’s stressful. I don’t suggest getting another unless you have a lot of time and patience OR have to help out a friend or stranded bunny.

Good luck!

• Lucybunz
            Participant
            34 posts Send Private Message

I currently have a bonded male and female. For about 2.5 years it’s been them and my cat.

I took in a female for a friend that couldn’t house her anymore and I am exhausted!
              My female is being very territorial and chases and nips the other. The only times she has been nice is after a car ride. It has only been a couple of days and my bonded pair seem fine (a little nipping/chasing) but still cuddles.

Moose (the new girl). Is very sweet and cuddly suth me and I am making sure to give the others cuddles too, but I can see my other female watching the whole time.
              It’s stressful. I don’t suggest getting another unless you have a lot of time and patience OR have to help out a friend or stranded bunny.

Good luck!

• WonderToast
              Participant

Listen, I totally understand not wanting to support pet stores and their bad practices, but whether I buy this bun or not, the cycle will continue. The only places here to get rabbits are this store and the animal shelter, and all of the shelter rabbits come from this store first. I’d just as soon adopt it now and save it the stress of either living a horrible life in a tiny cage in a 9 year olds bedroom, being dumped in a field, or ending up at the shelter a couple months from now. I dont want to debate the politics of buying animals from pet stores. I just want to know what all would go into bonding 3 buns so I can judge whether or not me and my lil guys can handle. I would love to add another bun to the family, I’ve actually been considering it for awhile, and now an opportunity has jumped right up in my face so I’m doing my research.

• Doodler
                Participant
                337 posts Send Private Message

WonderToast, there is no need to be nasty. When you come to a forum and ask for people’s thoughts you will get people’s thoughts. I wanted to make sure you fully thought through every aspect of this decision. A lot of people come here for advice and may not realize this exact thought process is what causes the cycle to continue. Just please don’t refer to it as ‘adopt’. I wish you luck on whatever you decide!

• WonderToast
                  Participant

I apologize if I came off as “being nasty” that wasnt my intent. I just want everyone to be aware that I’m just here to ask for information on bonding, not to discuss adoption politics. All I want is info and advice from people who have bonded groups before, I dont want to end up with an argument over an unrelated topic on my post, thank you.

• Asriel and Bombur
                    Participant
                    1104 posts Send Private Message

You’d need to get that baby spayed/neutered first. I’d keep the new bun in an area completely separate from your pair, as adding an unneutered bun even in your house can break up a bonded pair. So be warned off the bat, your existing pair may or may not start to fight from the new bun. No introductions of any kind with your existing pair until the baby has been fixed and given a month for hormones to die down. While you wait the month after he’s been fixed, you can prebond in that time. After the month is over, you can begin short sessions in neutral territory, You’re going to want to work with them all at once, as a rule. Member Sirius&Luna bonded a trio, you can look at her thread for guidance if you want

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Thoughts/tips on bonding three buns?