Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING This might be a silly question …

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Elrohwen
      Participant
      7318 posts Send Private Message

but it’s something I’ve been wondering about. Now that we’re thinking of getting a new bunny, I’m having to think through everything that implies – two cages, bonding sessions, etc. Now, I think I can get a rescue to help me out with the bonding, but part of me would like to try it out myself to get the experience.

The only snag I’m seeing is that Otto does not like to be picked up or put in his carrier. Assuming my hypothetical second bun is also not crazy about being picked up, how do you handle the logistics of getting from cage to laundry basket to bathtub to wherever? I’m worried that bonding might be much harder and more frustrating than it needs to be if I’m chasing two stressed out bunnies around for 15 minutes every day before we can even start the bonding sessions.

Any tips would be fantastic even if the tip is to just get over it, pick them up and toss them in carriers

eta: My potential bonding location is the upstairs bathroom – really no way to just herd the bunnies in there the way I could herd them from cage to cage.

• jerseygirl
        22345 posts Send Private Message

Well, you could always get Otto there via his spaceship. Spaceship> bridging to basket or carrier. For Rumball I often use his spaceship (aka litterbox) to carry him to top of washing machine, then pick him up off there. For the newbie, maybe lure into a carrier? It’s good you’re thinking ahead. Unfortunately, stress is part of bonding, but if you can avoid the scrambles before a session, this would be good.

• Elrohwen
          Participant

Thanks Jers! I’m now regretting that we didn’t train him to use his carrier as his Spaceship. When he gets in the maze it can be hard to get him out again because the holes aren’t big enough to pick him up. But it would work to get him upstairs and then I could harrass him until he came out 😛 Maybe I need to go to the craft store and look for some kind of basket that he could use as a new spaceship. Hopefully new bunny won’t be as wise to the carrier as Otto is.

In a way it’s probably helpful to stress them out before bonding, but I don’t want to stress myself out so much that I’m all sweaty and tired before bonding even starts. And I don’t want them to run every time I come in the room.

• Deleted User
            Participant
            22064 posts Send Private Message

I did this with Neigey during the bonding phase. He normally lets me carry him just fine but he had figured out that I was carrying him to go to sessions, so then he wouldn’t let me get him. I would herd him into the litterbox and carry him upstairs in it. It worked very well.
              It is possibke your new rabbit will let you carry him/her… who knows.

• Elrohwen
              Participant

That would be so nice if I get a bunny that could be held! I don’t need a cuddle bun – just one that doesn’t squirm like a maniac would be nice.

The litterbox is a great idea! I’m going to try that when the time comes.

• mocha200
                Participant
                4486 posts Send Private Message

one thing to be careful about is when i trieed somthing like that my bun jumped out of it. also you can use a laundry basket, and they have higher edges on them.

• Elrohwen
                  Participant

Well, I have to get him into the laundry basket first 😛 Otto is very good about being carried around the house in things, so I think I could get him to be ok with the litter box and I doubt he would jump out. I’ll have to wait and see with hypothetical new bun.

• Deleted User
                    Participant
                    22064 posts Send Private Message

Yes, some rabbits will try harder to jump off the spaceship but the key is to make the ship unsteady by shaking it gently. It usually keeps them put.

• Elrohwen
                      Participant

That must be why Otto stays in his spaceship when I bump it around and into everything on the way from the living room to his cage. Lol. I’m such a clutz, but he needs a spaceship that isn’t the size of a maze haven!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING This might be a silly question …