Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Thinking of getting my first bunny, Dwarf a good start?

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    • mattman0182
      Participant
      57 posts Send Private Message

Well I had them when I was little but that does not count. I recently lost one of my dogs, but i am just not in a situation to get another one right now.

I went in the pet shop and sarted to become very interested. They had a couple large lop bunnies and a bunch of dwarf bunnies. The girl suggested the dwarf as she has had experience with both. What type to do recomend? One more downside is that I cannot be home all the time. I would not say im never home, but i dont stay there every night. I was going to start bu getting a cage in which to keep the bunny if I get it. I will get one as large as I can afford.  One more question: How does raising a bunny compare to rasing a guinea pig?

I will still do some thinking before I get the bunny. I just want to get as much advice as possible before making a decision. Thanks in advance for any advice. I will have more questions as the advice comes in. I dont mean to be a pain, I just want my decision to be as educated as possible.

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

Mmm well owing a bunny is not easy as most people think … they are an exotic pet and are very expensive if they require vet treatment. 

I own both a bunny and 2 guinea pigs … all my pets are housed indoors.  The guinea pigs are just as much work as the bunny, but my pigs are robust little things and have not required much veterinarian care.  There is the cleaning every night, feeding, watering etc.  Bunnies need a careful diet, need company and generally most bunny owners here do not cage their pets, have them as house pets and can roam in their specific areas.  Bunnies love interaction with humans and/or they can be bonded with another pet (generally another bunny friend).

There is plenty of information here on BinkyBunny to read up on … but before you intend to get a bunny, make sure that is what you want and be prepared to put in time and effort.  I have seen people buy bunnies on the spur of the moment because they look cute, but soon become bored with them and then they are left in their hutch down in the back garden.

Bunnies can be littertrained just like a cat … generally are very clean animals and are wonderful pets.  They can be very destructive and just love to investigate as they are particularly curious creatures so house proofing cords and such is necessary.  Some bunnies are diggers and will chew carpet (mmm my carpet is full of holes in places from my previous bunny!), chew furniture and baseboards so supervision is required if they are permitted to roam.

I have had three bunnies … and probably would not be without a house bunny again.

But it comes down to reading and doing your research … And ensure you are ready for a House Bunny.

Good Luck!

Dawn

• mattman0182
          Participant

Thanks for the info. The floor in my room is vinyl so I have nothng to worry about there. I would probably build some sort of enclosure around the cage. Is there a big difference in the dwarf bunny and full size bunny as far as life span and spac? I plan to let the bunny out whenever I am home. Only to cage at night or when I am not home.

• Deleted User
            Participant

The extra space or run area attached to the cage is a great idea as they love to play and exercise.  Room to stretch out is necessary.

Most bunnies can live up to anywhere between 7-10 years.  House bunnies have a good life span as they do not have to copy with the outside elements and predators..  A girl I know from another site her bunny lived till he was 10.  However, having said that some bunnies can become quite sick and can pass on very quickly if medical intervention is not sought … my second bunny died when she was 12 months old.  She was a dwarf lop … but did become particularly scared and frightened very easily … and I have found this with my current dwarf lop too … it could be their breed.  I’ve always liked the bigger bunnies as they are more placid.

All depends on the bunny, their diet, medical history etc.  If you get a bunny it is advisable to have him/her spayed, particularly when their hormones set in they can develop some terrible issues … spraying, biting, territorial habits and generally not being a very nice bunny.  Once spayed/neutured they will settle down and become very loving and is much nicer for you and your bunny.

Let us know and keep us all posted.

Dawn

• Deleted User
              Participant

These thoughts are from my own experience with bunnies though … some of the other ladies/guys here will have their own views.

So you will get some great ideas from the other bunny lovers here!

Dawn

• mattman0182
                Participant

I surely will keep you all posted and thanks for the warm welcome!! I love all animals especially dogs, but I am warming up to bunnies as well. I am well experienced with forums, but this is the first one that is not automotive or baseball lol.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

LOL! No cars or baseball talk here really but it’s still a great forum

I’d say if a reason you thought of getting bunny was a) low cost b) low maintenance or c) to cuddle….then you should rethink a bunny! But it sounds like you are prepared for the research and care involved, so thats great! Bunnies make WONDERFUL pets but you HAVE to look after them properly and know what to expect. I’d say rabbits are nothing like guinea pigs in terms of care, like dawn said guinea pigs seem to be robust and need no vet care, let alone spaying and neutering….
                    I’d say Rabbits are on par with dogs in term of time demands. For cost the cost of the spay/neuter, expect to pay MORE then a dog spay/neuter! AND it’s pretty well not an option not to get them altered. For medical and behavioral reasons you really can’t leave a bunny unaltered.

Anyways to answer your question, large breed rabbits live shorter (generally) then dwarfs, but dwarfs are (generally) more fiesty then large breeds. I would actually suggest checking a shelter for a rabbit rather then a petstore. You may not know this (MOST of us didn’t until we were owners) but rabbits are the third most euthanized animal (due to overpopulation) and if you adopt as opposed to buying you are lessening demand on rabbit breeders rather then feeding the cycle

Anyways some things to think about definitely! And Welcome to Binkybunny!!!

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome!  You’ve received some great info already.  I love it when people research prior! So good for you! One thing you mentioned that I noticed right away is that you said you won’t be home sometimes (sounded sort of like this is an ongoing thing)  One thing to note is that domestic rabbits are “group” animals, meaning they are like dogs in the fact that they need companionship (whether it be from a human or another bunny), and so if you are not going to be home much or if it’s off and on, you may need to rethink a rabbit as a pet.

Another thing to think about with being away is that rabbits, when they get sick, can go downhill within 24 hours. They can be fine one day, and the very next, they are struggling to survive. Being prey animals, they hide illness very well, and so you have to watch for subtle behavior signs and keep track of their poop habits.

So what is your schedule? How much time and companionship would you be able to offer a bunny?

Maybe what would also be helpful in deciding if a bunny is right for you is ask yourself…”what am I wanting in a pet?”   And make a list of the things you hope for in your “ideal” animal companion.   That may be helpful too as you research and decide what might be best for you and your circumstances.

• Sage Cat
                      Participant
                      1883 posts Send Private Message

Hey Mattman –

I just got my very first pair of bunny’s about a week and a half ago. They are awesome! After a life time of various types of pets, I am having a blast learning about a “new to me” pet. But , there is a lot to learn. Luckily, I work at home so, I can spend lots of time with them. 

I was in a similar situation – Lost my very beloved Husky at Thanksgiving. It will be a while before I can get another dog. My husband and I researched

researched rabbits for about a month before deciding to adopt from our local House Rabbit Society Shelter.

We spent a good 15 hours (over a few different days) at the shelter with rabbits and getting information. In the end – the rabbits picked us. It is not so much which breed is good to start with, as it is do you and that animal “click”.

Check out the House Rabbit website for some great information: http://www.rabbit.org/  Pluse, make sure you read over the bunny Info here on Binky Bunny.

At the Shelter here in Colorado the cost of adopting 2 bonded rabbits is the same as getting 1 rabbit – $75. This includes both rabbits being fixed!!!!!!!!! If you are not going to be home much I highly recommend 2 bunny’s. I think most people would agree – They need the companionship.

So Far, I have spent about $300 on getting set up to bring them home. Buns are not cheep. But, I believe pets are worth it.

You said you have linoleum floors. My buns are kind of scared of the linoleum floors. It is difficult for them to hop on – no traction.

It is great you are asking questions!

Please, consider a shelter.

Sage Cat

• Beka27
                        Participant
                        16016 posts Send Private Message

welcome here!  as the others said, we are very pleased when people come asking for advice first.  owning a rabbit is not like anything else.  they are very unique creatures with special diets and subtleties in behavior that are important to be aware of. 

like the others said, a rabbit can take a turn for the worse and die within 24 hours.  many people on here have experienced that and (rough estimate) probably half have lost the bunny.  it happens.  i’m not sure why you are not home at night on occasion (work, social life?) but you would need to be home to at least check on your rabbit.  when a dog is sick they whimper and make a fuss.  you know something is wrong.  when a rabbit is sick they lay quietly in a meatloaf position… same as when they’re perfectly happy.   i have a friend who has two cats and she regularly goes away for the weekend (she parties… lol) but i could never do that having a rabbit.  i’d be a nervous wreck.

altering a rabbit is necessary.  some people will say that it’s not if they are a single bun and what not… but it really is.  like kokaneeandkahlua said it’s best for behavioral reasons.  many unaltered rabbits are aggressive, territorial and messy in their litter habits.  it’s not the bunny tho… it’s the hormones.  i’ve heard folks describe their bunny as “bad” or “mean” or “evil” when really they were just at that age when puberty was setting in.  this is an important case for rescuing from a shelter… oftentimes if they are old enough, the shelter will adopt out already altered animals.  the nice thing is you can see how large they are and what their personality is like. 

a note on the petstore: just because the salespeople are claiming they are dwarves, does not mean it is true!!!  if you went in saying “i want a giant bunny!” i’m guessing the same woman would tell you the rabbits would grow to be ten pounds.  it is all about the sale.  they will tell you what they have to.  some of them will even claim the rabbits are neutered, when they are not.  i would not recommend getting a cage from the petstore b/c it will most likely not be large enough.  the smallest recommended size (regardless of breed) is 2×4 feet.  most stores don’t even carry them that large.  you would be much better off with an exercise pen (4×4 feet if made square) and a rug or mats to go underneath.  esp. if the rabbit will be home alone during the day, you want to provide the most space you can.  but if you decide to get a rabbit, we can talk about what you’ll need a little more in-depth.

please stick around on this site and ask more questions, even if you decide not to get a rabbit right now. 

• mattman0182
                          Participant

I would be there 3 or 4 nights a week. As far as companions, I have a fat, declawed cat. I also have a 15 year old terrier-chiuahua mix. I live with my dad still even thought im 21..so he would be able to check on the bunny when I am not there. I do have some things to think about, so again, thanks for all the helpful replies. On average, how much would a spay-neuter cost?

• Beka27
                            Participant

on the low end for a neuter i’ve heard about 150 dollars.  spays will be more as they’re more invasive… about 300, altho i’ve heard of neuters costing 300 too.  an intial vet check would be necessary and most vets want to do blood work and such.  i would recommend having 500 dollars set aside for vet costs for the intial visit and surgery.   different areas vary.  if you are in a high cost of living place, the prices will be more.  try to call some rabbit vets in your area and get price quotes from them directly.

• kimberleyanddarren
                              Participant
                              2520 posts Send Private Message

i read that the bigger the bunny the more docile the bunny, saying that i have a lionhead who is quite small he only weighs just over 1lb and is very calm. Also gender is an issue, males are generally calmer than females

• Beka27
                                Participant

i think you’ll find tho that every generalization is really just a guess.  it’s hard to know the kind of personality a rabbit will have until they are full-grown and neutered.  and even still,  al ot will depend on the level of care and attention.  you would be better off going to a rescue or shelter and letting the right rabbit find you regardless of size, breed or color.

• Hedi
                                  Participant
                                  969 posts Send Private Message

Hi!

Every rabbit is different and they all have  their own personalities but you will find that in “general” dwarf rabbits tend to be high strung and kinda distant. I have a dwarf who is 4 years old and is still so flightly. If she wants attention she will come sneak up on me but if I attempt to touch her she runs. She would prefer not to be handled-at all.

Now I have two minirexes and a lop that love attention and love being petted. But for whatever reason my dwarf has just never become much for interaction.

And I have seen pet stores put up signs that they have dwars and in reality these were Californians that would be like 10lb! So you run the risk of not getting what you think you are getting and not getting the correct sex since they tend to be sexed incorrectly at the stores.

Plus-babies are a LOT of work! You would be surprised what a little older bun (even a young one under  a year) can offer. My last two buns came from a shelters and they were already fixed, already potty trained and made my life so much easier! And the cost included them being fixed so it was a great deal.

Are there any shelters near you?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                    Participant
                                    12067 posts Send Private Message

I can’t even begin to tell you the difference between shelter bunnies and non-shelter bunnies. My two girls I got as babies, and they are like “OH is that all i get? One new toy? You must be joking!!”

My shelter bun, well he’s so appreciative of EVERYTHING! Not only was he already neutered (which saves tonnes of cash!) but he just loves every little treat and toy he’s given, binkies all the time, even thinks timothy hay is a treat!! He’s just soo sweet!

I love them all immeasurably but as the owner of one petstore bun, one pedigree bun from a breeder and one rescue/shelter bun, I’d say go the shelter route definitely!!

• kimberleyanddarren
                                      Participant
                                      2520 posts Send Private Message

i agree with beka every bunny is different breed doesnt really matter

• mattman0182
                                        Participant

Thanks for the help. I am constructing a pen for my room. Not an enclosed cage. It is 4 foot by 4 foot. My easiest option is to go the the pet store simply because of my work hours and location. That may change, but store is my most likely option.

The pet store wanted 80 bucks for a cage about 1X2!!! It had a ramp but thats crazy!! I spent 50 bucks where I work at lowes for my tools and materials to construct the 4X4 pen. I will be finished by sunday and will get pics up as soon as I can. I will have a pan in his/her pen to be trained to use. This is because I plan to let the little furball have free run in my room while I am gone. My room is 12X21 ft. Once the habitat is complete I will acquire the bunny. Thanks for all your help!!!

FYI–Turns out a few people at work are experienced with rabbits so I have a few places to turn for help.

• Beka27
                                          Participant

oh good.  i’m glad you’re going with a pen instead of a tiny cage.  let us know how it turns out.

• BinkyBunny

So when you say you’ll go the pet store route, do you mean that is where you will get a bunny? Just to let you know …er prepare you rather- Baby bunnies are MESSY! (don’t get swooned by their overwhelming cuteness, unless you are prepared the messy consequences)  So hopefully your dad is up for the challenge of cleaning when you are gone – especially when the bunny reaches sexual maturity and starts marking even more.

3-4 days only you’ll be there? Is this a long-term thing?  Rabbits live to be 10 years or longer so hopefully it won’t always be like that for long as I suspect you you won’t be living with your father all the way through your 30’s.  This is quite a commitment on your father’s part to since he will have to be up for the cleaning and caring on the days you’re not there.  But it sounds like you may have already made up your mind, and since you will also be gone 3-4 days out of every week, then I really encourage you to adopt an already bonded adult pair from a rabbit rescue or shelter. That would save you surgery costs, spay/neutered bunnies are easier to litter train, and they would have each other for company during all the time you are gone.

I don’t know where in Maryland you are but here are some links to rabbit rescues in Maryland

http://www.rabbitsinthehouse.org/ (several bonded pairs there!)

http://www.bunnymagic.org/bunnymagichome.htm

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze27h5b/id3.html

http://www.petfinder.com/   This is a great resource to search shelters and rescues near you.

• mattman0182
                                              Participant

I would actually be there during my lunch break every day. Its just that I spend 3 or 4 nights there a week. That would increase though. I will call the local shelter before I get the bunny. I am on the eastern shore of MD so I have limited places to go. I promise, though, that I will call the shelter and visit there if they have any bunnies.

We actually have wild rabbits in the area, dont know what kind…they are brown with white tail and underside. Im not sure if animal control picks up those guys or not..

I dont mean to be arrogant, but I know I would be a better owner than the people who buy a rabbit and keep it locked in a cage its whole life. I also plan to be very careful with diet. This site seems to be a great resource for that.

I did decide to make up my mind because of the support of my femily and friends here. I am also not ashamed to call myself an animal lover even though I am a guy. This rabbit will be treated with care and respect.

• BinkyBunny

I am happy to hear you have the support of your family. That really is great news! My comments were not necessarily to discourage you, but to prepare you. I think the best chance an animal companion has is with a fully prepared human, and so if our comments did not discourage you, but instead you used them to help prepare then really that’s extremely positive!

The fact you chose a pen, and not some small cage also shows you really care about the space your bunny needs. Kudos to you.

On another note: I know many guys that are animal lovers. There are several in this forum in fact, so you’re not alone. I have always known guys that are animal lovers – my father, my husband, my nephews, friends, animal shelter employees and volunteers, etc etc, that are caring, protective and attentive to animals. I find it to be a very strong characteristic. I think it shows strength and respect that both genders should feel proud of.

Keep us updated with your rabbit search.

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Thinking of getting my first bunny, Dwarf a good start?