Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Thinking of adopting – Have Questions

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sage Cat
      Participant
      1883 posts Send Private Message

Hey Y’all

I’m thinking about adopting a pair of buns – from the Colorado House Rabbit Society. I have been doing a lot or reading on various websites. I have come up with a few questions

First, here is my situation: 2 adults, currently no pets   Both my husband and I have always had cats and dogs, don’t even know any one who had a bunny. I work at home – so I could spend lots of time with pets.

I live in a 1 story bungalow in Denver, all hardwood floors – will have to get a few rugs. I am planning on making a bunny area (wood & NIC, towels – all the good stuff) in the dining room to start. When supervised bunnys would have access to living room, dining room & Kitchen. We are in the process of desiging and making our own furniture – right now the living room is empty. There is a great inclosed Sun Poarch I think bunnys would love.

Here are some questions:
        Husband and I are movie junkies, no cable, just netflix. Previous pets have always hung out with us while we watch movies. Will bunnies like to do that? Might they be scared of the loud movies? I have had dogs that were scared of loud noises – fireworks & thunder, but not noises on the TV. What do you think?

About how much do you spend on your buns, not including vet bills? I know how horible those can be. With cats I have spent about $40 a month on food, liter, toys & treats. Fom my 60 pound Husky it was about $65 for food, toys & treats. I’m just looking for some kind of average.

Cleaning anal glands, really?

Do you find they are really happier in pairs? This actually makes sence to me that they would.

How about Hay? Do you get it localy, on the web, or both. How much hay does a bumnny eat? For example: one of those mini bales they sell on this site, for a 6 pound bun – is that a day, a week or a month of food? Really, I have no clue.

We have a great fenced backyard. However in Denver we do have hawks, cats and fox. So I am considering those "comfy harnesses" for supervised outings. Any one have those? Do you like them?

Well, that is it for know. I will more than likely come up with more questions in the future.

Thanks for you help,

Sage Cat

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Sage Cat! It’s nice to see another face here from Colorado. : ) I live near Denver in the ‘burbs and I also adopted from the COHRS.  It sounds like you have a great set-up idea, have you also thought about bunny-proofing everything?  You may want to check out BUNNY PROOFING in the BUNNY INFO section here.  With wood floors bunnies will slip and slide so they will need some rugs, bear in mind that they will likely chew on them so don’t get real expensive ones.  Rag rugs from your local thrift stores and some have actual rugs too work well in these situations.

The sun porch I am not sure about wihout inspecting it.  Is it climate controlled?  It is not so much the cold, but the sun that shines in and heats up the room, rabbits need an escape from heat and the sun.

As for price estimation, well it can run quite a bit. Here is a bit of an idea and just an FYI I buy my supplies at the Bunny Botique right there at the COHRS.  There are pick up locations where you can go get them as well if that is the route you choose (There is one in Denver) The prices listed below are COHRS member prices click here for a price list:

Bunny Basics T (10 lb) – $10.45 lasts about 2 months

Papaya tablets (500 count) – $11.46 lasts about 2 months

Aspen Supreme Litter – $14/bag (20 lb bag) – need 2 bags per month. You can also use Yesterday’s News, Carefresh or wood stove pellets. You can price things out on the internet as well.

Fresh veggies – $40/month (high estimate)

Hay – You can buy from the COHRS or your local pet store or feed store. I go to Wardle Feed & Supply for hay. One bale lasts me about four months for my hungry monsters, they are approximately 9 pounds each.  You’ll also want to think about storage for your hay and also very important is to make sure you and anyone in your household is not allergic to rabbits or hay. I really receommend you go get allergy tests done if you are not sure because if you are, and it is just to the hay, additional lifestyle changes will need to be made and you should think carefully about whether you are willing to make those additional changes on top of having a rabbit.

As you can tell, rabbits are expensive and require more supplies than a cat or dog where you can just buy a bag of food. Start-up costs are expensive as well, buying a cage or materials for it, water crocks, carpet, blankets etc.

Outdoor time with your rabbits can be quite dangerous, I have mine on a covered porch in a pen that I just sit there a read and watch them.  Not only will you need to watch out for wild predators but domestic ones as well like your neighborhood cats and dogs plus do not forget squirrels.  Really, it is best to keep them inside but harnessed time out and about with you would not be a bad thing, just be vigilant and never leave them unsupervised.  A check of your garden for any unsafe plants needs to be made as well, even start a bunny garden too.

Yes, scent glands need to be cleaned.  I must caution you that adopting from the COHRS, they will only adopt out pairs and in rare cases they will adopt out singles and in the contract you may be obligated to bring them in for bonding. Rabbits are happier in pairs and often will live longer too, they crave companionship with another and they receive careful grooming from each other that a human can’t quite replicate.

When/If you go there to pick bunnies (you can also look at their pics online and let them know who you want to see) you will go around and see which ones you like and you will be placed in an x-pen with them to see how you get along with them and how they get along with you.  The manager, Nancy, will ask you about your lifestyle and also try to pair you with the rabbit personalities (tell you you want a lap bunny to slounge with you) and will also let you know what she thinks about each pair with you and it is really great because you get to interact with them and know that you are going home with the right pair.  I am so glad you came here first to ask questions.  If there is anything else, please let us know!

• BinkyBunny
          8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Sage Cat!   I love it when people ask question before getting a bunny.  I am actually working on a "Cost" page right now to help people understand how much everything will total up to.

First couple of things – what are you making the furniture out of?   You may want to stay away from some bunny chewing favorites – like pine, and redwood is toxic to bunnies if they chew on too much.  Plus, you don’t want your furniture eaten up. (NOTE: with that said, not all bunnies chew furniture.  My first one did, my current three bunnies do not.  Young unspayed/neutered bunnies are more destructive. 

IClosed Sun Porch – sounds lovely! Is it glass or screened?  You just have to be sure that a bunny can leave the sunroom when s/he gets too hot or cold.

WATCHING TV: My bunnies hang on on the living room floor while we watch TV.  Mine don’t like hanging out on the couch, so I usually get pillows and comfy blanket and hang out on the floor while leaning up against the couch so I can pet them while I watch TV.   Some members do have bunnies that hang out on their couch and beds with them.  Note: some bunnies will try and mark the couch, and though my bunnies did originally try that, they easily were trained not to.  (again spayed/neutered bunnies are much better with this)  And I am sure you will hear varying experiences from other members.

COSTS: (not including vet bills) I have three rabbits – We spent $200 on their homemade pen and supplies, ongoing costs of fresh greens, pellets, hay, treats, toys is around $60 bucks a month for three bunnies, but that does not mean one costs 1/3 of this.  EDIT: I forgot about litter – I spend about $24 bucks a month on that.

ANAL GLANDS:  Yes really, but it’s not as gross as doing other animal anal glands (or at least I don’t think so) and you may not have to do it every month, but you will need to check every month until you can get an idea of how often it’s needed.

PAIRS:  Many are happy in pairs, but singles who get tons of attention from their human can be happy too.   But if you watch a bonded pair, they snuggle all the time, groom each other – it’s really is cute.  And  they don’t ignore me, I just pet one and the other comes running for attention, so it’s just double snuggles for me.

HAY: I, of course, get it locally.  I use the hay I sell, and it originates from a farm just a hour and half away. It really depends on your bunny – We have one member, knowltons, who’s bunny drinks tons and tons of water (a health or behavior issue) and so her bunny consumes alot of hay. I think she said she goes through a minibale within 2 weeks, while one of mine, it would take 3 weeks to a month to get through a minibale. 

FENCED BACK YARD and HARNESSES: I am glad you are aware of hawks etc.  We recently had a member teach us all about the dangers even on her own patio – where a hawk grabbed her bunny, but the bunny ran inside with the hawk attached and the hawk flew off, leaving her bunny in the house. WHEW!!   Also, you have to watch out for parasitic stuff like fleas, mites and there are some deadly diseases that raccoons can pass via urine (on grass).    Also need to watch out for toxic plants and pesticide and fertilizer use. 

You will find mixed opinions about the harnesses.   I have used harnesses (that secure around their body, not just their neck) and my bunnies had a great time.  I was also careful not to let them have tooooo much lead so that if they got scared from something they couldn’t bolt in another direction and hurt themselves when they hit the end of the lead.  Some bunnies have been known to injure themselves, even break their backs so you want to be sure to get your bunny used to harness before you take him/her outside, and use the harness in such a way that is as safe as possible.   If and when you get to that point and IF you decide to use a harness, then we can discuss that further.

Keep us updated.

• JK
            Participant
            2223 posts Send Private Message

Well the experts have spoken and have given you excellent advice!!! I’m glad you’re putting together a cost page Binky. That’s excellent. I’m the one who has one bunny who drinks a ton of water. I go thru binky bunny’s mini bale in 10 days BUT I waste a lot because I’m always laying some over the litter box so Edson’s feet don’t get wet!!! I’m not the norm here. Her hay is awesome though and I highly recommend it. I need to order more AGAIN! The only other thing I can add is that the stove pellets are way less expensive than the premium litters above and work great. I pay $7.99 for a 40 lb. bag. It is so nice to see you asking questions BEFORE you adopt!

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

welcome here!  i think Scarlet and BinkyBunny about summed it up…

as far as loud movies and such… rabbits are usually very afraid of loud noises.  they startle easily.

but that being said… it is possible to train them or get them used to louder noises.  i would start out slowly tho.  don’t blast the movie the first night they’re home with you.  we are also always watching movies (since there’s nothing ever on tv…) and Meadow seems to be just fine with the noise.  we have a four year old as well, so he is never quiet.  i think she’s used to the noise level in the house.  but don’t expect bunnies to sit and watch a two hour movie tho.  they may come for snuggles for a bit, and then run off to do their own thing.

• Hannah
                Participant
                274 posts Send Private Message

Another note on the loud noises, there are really varying levels of tolerance for TV/music/etc. sort of noises. Monty is fine with music and mostly fine with the TV, but things like babies crying and telephones make him freak out. Humphrey, on the other hand, sits and flops in front of the TV to watch even if I’m playing like… violet shooting video games. >___< However, he startles at African drum music and wolf noises. ^^; You might want to ask about the bunnies' noise tolerance levels at the shelter– some are going to be better than others.

• JK
                  Participant

I forgot to say – Edson is not bothered in the least by loud noises.  I can vacuum, drop things and he just doesn’t care.  Sometimes I wonder if he’s deaf but he will get startled if his head is buried in his hay rack and I walk over to look at him! I think it was very noisy at the rescue so he is just used to the noise.

• Sage Cat
                    Participant
                    1883 posts Send Private Message

Wow,

Lots of great info! Thanks so much.

As for cost: that all sounds reasonable to me. I just want to ba able to include an estimate into my budget.

I am actually very intrested in adopting from COHRSbecause they are strict. Since I don’t know much about bunnies, some help would be great. I love that they actualy have a bunny matainace class. Plus, I like the idea f a pair! I and many of my friends have adopted pets from similar shelters – it has always been a very positive experiance.

I will definatly talk to the people about the things y’all are bringing up, like movies, harnesses, furniture, rugs.

The furniture we are making is metal with wood accents. My guess is that bunnies don’t chew up metal.

Bunny proffing cords has already been considered. Only the TV room – which is not even set up yet – will have cords, we will make sure they are not accesable. How about outlet covers? Are they a good idea with bunnies?

As for watching movies: I have had some pets that liked to hang out with you and others that didn’t. Mostly it was the come for snuggles for a bit, and then run off to do their own thing. I figured it would be up to the bunny.

The sun room is an East facing porch with lots of glass windows – they open to screens. I think it will get toasty in the summer, but Spring and Fall will be awesome! It opens to the living room, so bunnies could leave. I am thinking about growing herbs out there. Good fom me and bunnies!!! By the way, how do I find out what house plants are toxic?

I would not have thought a bun could break it’s back from a harness. If I go that way, training inside sounds like a good idea. My back desk does also have a covered portion. I will just have to figure out what the buns seem to like.

I’m really looking forward to finding out mor. And meeting some bunnys!

Thanks Again,

Sage Cat

• JK
                      Participant

Here’s a good list of poisonous inside and outside plants.

http://barbibrownsbunnies.com/poison_plants.htm  

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant

You’re welcome Sage Cat! I am glad you took a look at their web site, I did forget to mention the "Bunny tune-Up" class that is required you attend with your rabbits so you know how to properly handle, care for and groom your furry little lovefluffballs.  The porch definately sounds good in spring & fall but other times you might want to house them in another room.  Rabbits can get heat stroke easily, do you have an air conditioner for the summer or do you use fans?  Direct sun at any temperature and a temperature above 80 degrees is not agreeable to rabbits.

It’s really great you are working out the cost thing, and I cannot say it enough how I am so glad at how responsible you are being about all of this. So, kudos to you! Another thing you will want to consider are yearly check-ups with a bunny-savvy vet.  I’ve had them run about $75 for each rabbit.  I also have a credit card with no balance that I keep in case they need emergency care.  You can figure on about $75 for any medical visit per rabbit plus the cost of x-rays, diagnostics and medications they might need.  The medications are pricey, I’ve spent $175 on one script for both of my rabbits, it was an oral antibiotic, dose at twice a day for 2 weeks. Of course this can vary as well, depending on the vet and the facility.

You also will need to think about how long rabbits live for, up to 15 years old.  Of course, as with any pet, with age they will need more medical attention and care. Are you planning on staying where you live for a long time?  How stable is the relationship so if anything ever happened would you be able to find a place that takes rabbits (it’s not easy)? Who would get to keep the rabbits?  They should NEVER be separated and have one owner who is responsible for them, so make that decision before-hand.  Also are you renting or do you own the house you are in?  Do you plan on having any children? Vacations will also become a challenge and if you travel a lot, rabbits are not a good choice.  They require a lot of care and it can be tough to find a reliable bunnysitter and boarding at the vet is expensive.  Traveling with them can be complicated as a lot of extras need to be taken with you and it is VERY hard to find hotels/motels that will accept them and airlines are even more difficult. Here is an article that will give you a glimpse on Vacations and Travel.

Since you are planning on adopting from the rabbit rescue, you will not need to be concerned about the cost of spaying and neutering which is nice! Once you pass muster (there are a lot of questions you will be asked), have been accepted as an adopter, the rabbits you pick will then be taken to your house (this may take a couple of visits before Nancy is satisfied with the pairing of you with the rabbits), this is when the manager does an evaluation of your home for safety and will let you know of anything that needs to be addressed and if she doesn’t like it or feel safe leaving them with you, she will leave with the rabbits.  When I got my two delivered to me at home, she brings the adoption contract, papers on the rabbits and you will also receive a bunny packet full of info.

Sorry I’ve rattled on, but it is something I have first-hand experience with and so I can share more of the "what to expect" when you go there.  Don’t worry about there not being a lot of choices to pick from either, there are rows and rows of sweet snugglemuffins.  The hardest part is picking just one pair! It may also be suggested that you volunteer there for a bit just to see what it is like and what to expect and so you can see if you are really ready or a rabbit person.  Don’t worry they do that to every new person that wants to adopt.  They just don’t want to adopt a pair out and have them returned because they were "too messy" or they "didn’t have time for them" which is totally understandable and they want to avoid "impulse adoption."  It is very costly because I can tell you as soon as you have made your pick, that space is instantly taken by a rescue rabbit, there is a return fee and penalties.

Check out the LINKS portion of Binky Bunny for more info.  Here are some reliable and comprehensive links for toxic plants:

Toxic Plants: 

Here is a previous discussion also:

https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=2&tpage=1&view=Topic&postid=22218

• Gravehearted
                          Participant
                          2428 posts Send Private Message

Hi Sage- welcome! It sounds like you have gotten lots of great advice and suggestions
                            I’m happy you’re taking the time to look into it before bringing bunnies into your house

• Beka27
                            Participant
                            16016 posts Send Private Message

i think that’s awesome that the rescue is so thorough.  they obviously care so much for their animals…

• Scarlet_Rose
                              Participant

They sure do Beka!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Thinking of adopting – Have Questions