Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Things found in hay?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Karrakov
      Participant
      41 posts Send Private Message

I know that finding things in hay in normal and expected but I’m wondering the worst things you’ve found in hay. I found a grasshopper once which was gross but ok, it happens. But, yesterday I found the skeleton of an animal in my hay! I thought at first it was a mouse but the fur was black and brown stripped and I’ve never seen a mouse those colors and stripped. It was a full spine, legs, feet and a few strips of fur. It really freaked me out! I’m sure it’s happened to other people but it really concerned me. What if my rabbits had tried to eat it and gotten it stuck in their throat or stomach, or if there’s bacteria on it and they could’ve gotten sick! Has this happened to anyone else? Am I overreacting? 

• DarthVadar
        Participant
        198 posts Send Private Message

You found a chipmunk. I’ve found one of those in a friend’s hay, and a few grasshoppers in mine. Its fairly normal, a consequence of hay being, well, dried grass. As long as you take a quick look at the hay before giving it to the bunnies, it will be fine. Healthy rabbits have very good immune systems, so any bacteria won’t hurt them. Exposure to bacteria builds their immune systems even more, as long as it is not overwhelming and their housing is clean.

• Sirius&Luna
          Participant
          2319 posts Send Private Message

I found a large birds wing in mine once, it was awful. I know A&B once found a whole small bird too

• tobyluv
            Participant
            3310 posts Send Private Message

I found a big white feather in a bag of hay a couple of weeks ago.

• LittlePuffyTail
              18092 posts Send Private Message

Ugh…..I have a fear of finding a mouse. Worse I found was an owl pellet once. And lots of feathers and smooshed grasshoppers.

• LeahM
                Participant
                166 posts Send Private Message

i found a snake poor guy, it was awful

• LittlePuffyTail

Poor snake…..but I would have freaked out! It’s really amazing there are not more animals in the hay. Being a horse girl most of my life and watching the haybalers in the fields, it doesn’t give the mice and critters, whatever animals living there much chance to flee home. Sad….

• Doodler
                    Participant
                    337 posts Send Private Message

I am already having such frustrations with hay and these stories are not helping!!   I knew these things were possible with it being a crop that is gathered like it is but had no idea how prevalent the surprise additions are.

Now I am going to be even more anxious about every order I get.

• Asriel and Bombur
                      Participant
                      1104 posts Send Private Message

Yup! Found an entire dead bird smack dab in the bag. Tossed that thing and screeched. Poor buns thought I was losing my mind. They loved the meadow hay, unfortunately for them I’m never buying it again xD

• sarahthegemini
                        Participant
                        5584 posts Send Private Message

Worst thing I’ve ever found is a moth. I consider myself lucky!

• LittlePuffyTail

That is def lucky!!!!! I haven’t found any in a while but huge, smooshed grasshoppers used to be pretty common in the oxbow. Creeped me out so much when I first saw one cuz we don’t have grasshoppers that huge around here!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Things found in hay?