Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A These drops okay?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    • Moonlightbunny66
      Participant
      694 posts Send Private Message

I could only find mint and orange flavour Simethicone drops. I picked the mint. Is this okay? It’s for Pinky.

• Moonlightbunny66
        Participant

And do I still give 1ml once every hour for 3 hours today? Not sure cause it says not to exceed 1.5ml in 24 hours.

• Moonlightbunny66
          Participant

I saw some old posts of someone else asking how to use it. One of the mods said 0.50ml once every hour for three hours. Since this one has 40mg of Simethicone. So that would be 1.5ml today. Do I need to give him a meal with it?

• Moonlightbunny66
            Participant

Can someone please reply? I’m waiting to know if it’s safe. He’s still not eating hay today.

• Hazel
              Participant
              2587 posts Send Private Message

I haven’t used that brand, but as far as I can tell they should be fine. He doesn’t have to have food with it. I use one with 20mg of Simethicone and give 1ml at a time.

I hope he’ll be better soon!

• Moonlightbunny66
                Participant

Thank you. I’ll try giving him some.

• Moonlightbunny66
                  Participant

I gave him 0.5ml. He pulled his head away when I tried to give it without holding him. So I tried to push him onto a blanket I could wrap him in but he ran away and went over to Muffin. I didn’t want any biting so I had to take him away over to the spot I was trying to give him it. He was kicking 😭. I put a blanket on his whole body and covered his eyes, leaned over him and pulled up the side of his lip and slowly squeezed it in. He drank most of it. But was definitely mad at me for trying to wrap him up the way I saw in a video… He accepted pets and treats after though. 🥺 I feel bad but I just want him to get better. I’m gonna try to just cover him in the blanket next time. Wish they had that in the video I watched instead… Learning experience I guess. I just feel so so bad, he got very mad at me.

• Hazel
                    Participant
                    2587 posts Send Private Message

Don’t feel bad, you’re doing what’s best for him. If you have to do it by yourself, try kneeling on the ground and box him in between your legs and then hold his head while squeezing it into his mouth. Make sure to go slow so he doesn’t choke. If he refuses to swallow, take the syringe out, then give some more after he got it down. Afterwards I would take a wet paper towel and wipe his mouth, if the Simethicone dries on their fur it gets pretty crusty.

• Moonlightbunny66
                      Participant

Thank you! I can try to do that for the last dose of today. I just did the second dose. I think he swallowed it all, he ate a couple pellets I gave him as a treat after. Then I pet him for a few minutes and he calmed down. And I’m pretty sure he was passing gas because I could smell something weird coming from him.

It’s really hard to get him in the blanket and make him stay still. I wish he knew I was just trying to help him. 🙁

• Moonlightbunny66
                        Participant

I’m questioning if I should even give him a third dose tonight. It stresses him out a lot and he’s eating some hay now. I should probably give him the last dose to be safe, it’s just difficult for the both of us. It’s been a rough day. ):

• Bam
                          16835 posts Send Private Message

You don’t have to give it if he isn’t showing any symptoms. Some buns will take greens with a bit of gas drops squirted on them. I have orange flavored infacol for my bun. It’s 40 mg/ml. I assume the dosage on the package relies on what has been tested on human babies. Not that a bigger dose would harm a baby, but because higher doses have not been tested on human babies, if that makes sense. Baby gas drops for rabbits haven’t been studied scientifically to prove its helpfulness, and some vets do say they don’t help because rabbits can’t burp. Rabbits can however fart.

You basically can’t overdose on gas drops without making a real effort to do so. My bun had to have simethicone from human adult 200 mg capsules for a while when no other simethicone was available to me. It is fine to use those capsules according to Dana Krempels, who is a very well renouned biologist and rabbit expert. (You have to break open the capsule and either suck the contents up in a syringe or mix it with CC or other food, rabbits obviously can’t swallow capsules).

I’m very glad you smelled sth 😀 I’ve even heard a bunny fart once after having been given gas drops. It was the tiniest swoosh-swoosh sound. 😍

• Moonlightbunny66
                            Participant

Thank you! I’ll see if he will eat it off of food next time I have to use it then.

The bunny fart sounds cute LOL. Pinky seems a little better today. He got excited and stood up with his front paws on the bars when I got up, like usual! But still not his crazy little self yet. Not sure if he ate any hay during the night. I kept putting fresh hay in yesterday, trying to get him to eat it.
                              We’ll see how today goes. And both the buns are going to the vet today, so I’ll mention he wasn’t doing well yesterday. They aren’t bunny-savvy though. We found a vet that might be so we’ll have to go see them.

Maybe I can try putting some drops on his greens this morning?

• DanaNM
                              8901 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad he is feeling better today. 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Moonlightbunny66
                                Participant

Thank you. 🙂 He still seems like he’s in a bit of pain, but I’ll see what the vet thinks today. And he’s still only eating a little hay.

• Bam

Some buns are very picky with hay. ATM it’s not a good time to give buns fresh grass in many places on the USA where there’s been RVHD2 outbreaks. Hopefully the vaccine will be made available to all rabbit owners in the USA, as it has been for about 4 years now in Europe.

Intil then, its about trying different types of grass hays, (different cuts can also make a big difference, some buns prefer the crunchy first cut, other buns prefer the leafier and softer later cuts).

If he will eat more hay if you hand feed him, do hand feed him.

• Moonlightbunny66
                                    Participant

Thank you so much for pointing this out. I found some of the old oxbow hay in a paper towel tube that was uneaten in Muffin’s pen. I gave him that and he ate some and now he’s drinking water! I also heard him fart a second ago omg. Is that good or bad? I gave him 0.25ml of the Simethicone drops this morning on his lettuce.

• Bam

It is very good that the gas gets out! It’s a great relief for a bun, gas is painful for them.

It is of course not good that he has gas, but as long as the gas gets out, it won’t harm him. It is  important to try and figure out why he gets gassy, my guess is it has sth to do with him not eating enough hay. As Dana pointed out, it would be a good idea to have a rabbit savvy vet take a look at his teeth. This is however sth you need a rabbit savvy vet for, in my experience, non-rabbit vets are likely to miss even quite serious dental problems when they look into the mouth with an otoscope.

• Moonlightbunny66
                                        Participant

Thank you! We just got back from the vet with revolution to treat Pinky’s ear mites. Also treating Muffin to be safe. We’ll be going back to the vet in 4 weeks to make sure the mites are gone.

We’ll be making an appointment with a vet that is hopefully rabbit savvy soon, so we can arrange annual check ups. I asked if the vet has experience in rabbits and was told she has been seeing them for as long as she’s been a vet. Hopefully that means she is knowledgeable.

We’re going to get some Oxbow hay and see if he’ll eat more of that. If he does, I think the tummy issues were from not eating enough of the new hay. Is there a way we can transition him to the new hay?

• Bam

Hay doesn’t really need transitioning, but if you have some hay left that he likes, you can of course mix it up for starters.

If he likes this hay and eats more of it, he could get a bit of gas again as his tummy adjusts to more fiber. This is natural, and the hay will help normalise his gut microbiome, but gas drops can be given as a precaution. More hay means more food for the good gut microbes.

• Moonlightbunny66
                                            Participant

Thank you Bam! I’ll give him some drops today then. Last time he ate them on a piece of lettuce which makes it a lot easier for the both of us. I really hope he’ll eat some Oxbow hay then maybe he’ll eat more of the farm hay.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A These drops okay?