Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE the tunnel motivated bun

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • prince dorian the bun
      Participant
      743 posts Send Private Message

Most pets I have had, though not beggars (I am not a fan of that so try to never get that going) have been at least mostly able to be motivated by food… and by most pets I mean cats. Cats being generally speaking hard to motivate and often picky eaters. So here I am with a bun, princeling Dorian, who puts all those food snobs to shame. He loves his hay thank goodness, but he prefers being hand feed or to eat while other people are with him also eating (we all have dinner together). But as far as getting him to do anything in return for food as a treat, it’s been a bit of a bust. Even if it’s a snack he likes he just not that interested. Even if it’s just getting him to go over and actually eat his salad because he’s too busy playing or napping, can be a bit of a challenge. Often times causing concern as it just sits there, untouched. Well recently I found a solution, I now stick a tunnel leading to his food, and Dorian is completely unable not to go explore a tunnel so will run up and end up at his food bowl in which case he will actually sit there (while his butts in the tunnel) and munch away.

In fact tunnels is how we get Dorian to do just about anything, from coming in from the deck, going into his room in the evening, even his carrier to go to the vet, & yes now to actually realize he has food and eat it.

Anyone else’s bun like this? Where they are almost absent minded about food? How do you make sure they actually remember to go eat and how do you motivate them to do stuff?

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

That’s really cute and interesting! I don’t really have any other advice since my pets are all super food motivated!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
          Participant

I will say given he has had some stasis problems it is sometimes a little worrying (luckily he will almost always eat hay hand feed to him), but mainly it’s just a mystery to me!  Other than hay he is such a little mood eater too, one week he loves something and the next won’t touch it.

• DanaNM
            8930 posts Send Private Message

Having something like that up your sleeve is great! I’ve heard of clicker trained buns that are so conditioned to take a treat after the click that their owners have been able to get them to eat when in stasis using the clicker.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
              Participant

he sadly won’t in stasis, but it’s a quick warning sign. Luckily no issues since his last molt though (fingers crossed)

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE the tunnel motivated bun