Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR The Sofa!!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Deleted User
      Participant
      22064 posts Send Private Message

Please help. I have a gorgeous rex little girl who is 6 months old although she is fully litter trained she has taken to spraying on my sofa every day please help this is driving me mad. she also likes to try and dig at the sofa as well as biting the fabric.

Would apreciate and thoughts on this one

Thanks x x

• wendyzski
        Participant
        1312 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like puberty to me!

Around 5-7 months old is when most bunnies hit puberty, and bunny-teenagers are as annoying as human ones.  She may be starting to mark her territory.

She will live a happier and healthier life if you get her spayed, and it will likely help with some of this bratty behavior.

• BinkyBunny
          8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome bobey miah!!   Rexes are beautiful bunnies!  I just love their velvety soft fur.   I’m sorry your bunny is being such a pain!  Unfortunately what she is going though is normal, and this is the time people think their bunny has gone crazy and end up giving their bunny to the shelter.  But there are ways to solve this problem.  

Like Wendyzski said, it sounds like your rex has reached sexual maturity – usually between 3 – 6months, and this usually is fixed when a bunny is spayed.  The sooner the better to avoid bad habits from setting in.   

What is happening exactly is that now that she is sexually mature, her instincts are driving her to develop and mark a territory.  By doing this,in her bunny mind,  it helps ward off other "bunny" intruders who could take her prime spots for food and any future nesting for babies.   Also as being part of a warren, all the bunnies will mark certain areas to claim a territory for their group.

With places that hold our smell, like the bed, linens, pillows, chairs and couches, bunnies may feel that we have marked this place and so as a good warren mate, they will too.

The other reason a bunny might mark these areas is to display that they are the dominant bunny and mark OVER  your scent.   It really depends on the bunny.   It does sound like she is trying to claim the couch because she’s digging at it, maybe trying to dig out the human scent, as well as she sprays it so often.

Is she displaying any aggression or grunting towards you at all yet?

Either way, since she is determined to spray it everyday, and not just happy with leaving her scent behind once,  then the best way to solve this right now is to clean the couch the best  you can, and do not allow her up there at all.  You will be the "dominant" bunny by claiming the couch as your own – not just using it as a central marking place.

If she persists, and you can’t leave the couch for a second without her digging, you may need to get deterrents like "snappy trainers"  which are these things you can put up on the furniture and when the bunny just hops up, it makes a very loud noise.   They scare the bejeebeeze out of me, so I didn’t use them, but my bunnies seemed to be deterred enough  with me never allowing them on the furniture by themselves.   They can be up there with me, and so far they haven’t peed or pooed while I was up there. 
            But then again, all three of mine are altered.

Spaying really can make a big difference with this behavior, and not only that, because unaltered females have a very high risk of cancer of their reproductive organs, spaying helps prevent this.   And another little benefit, spaying makes their urine much less pungent.

If you intend to have her spayed, we can help guide you in finding a rabbit savvy vet.  Which is extremely important – it is not the same as cats and dogs.

• Deleted User
            Participant
            22064 posts Send Private Message

ok so she is booked in to get spayed.

any ideas on how to explain this to her – lol she is my baby after all!

No seriously will it hurt her she has shown some agressive gruntinf and trying to bite me and i mean bite not nibble. She also refuses to be picked up

• Theresa Moan
              Participant
              249 posts Send Private Message

I wouldn’t worry too much, they will(or should) give her pain meds.

• Pooperscooper
                Participant
                1 posts Send Private Message

I know what you are going through. I am completely going nuts with my two rabbits, as they have become increasingly determined to pee and poop on my bed!!! I have an efficiency, so unfortunately, I can’t block their access to my bedroom. It doesn’t matter how many times I shoo them off the bed, they just jump right up and poop or pee really quickly once my back is turned! What is infuriating is that besides this, they are completely litter-trained!

I just don’t know how to stop them from eliminating on my bed. I have tried chasing them off, making loud noises, spraying water at them, putting a big sheet of plastic over the bed (they just crawl under it). It seems the more I want them to stay off, the more determined they are to get on the bed and mark it! They are both about 3 months old now, so I suppose I should get them neutered. I hope that fixes it, because I am tired of washing my down comforter.

• Gravehearted
                  Participant
                  2428 posts Send Private Message

hi Pooperscooper – welcome!!!

At three months they likely are a bit too young to be neutered. It sounds like you’re already trying to shoo them off the bed and many of the things I’d suggest trying. You might consider using an Xpen to block them from getting to your bed – I find them really useful to have around with bunnies! Anyone have any other suggestions?

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message
                      Posted By bobey miah on 11/03/2006 3:25 AM

No seriously will it hurt her she has shown some agressive gruntinf and trying to bite me and i mean bite not nibble. She also refuses to be picked up

I’m so glad to hear you’ve booked an appointment for her – she likely will calm down GREATLY with the aggression after being spayed.  I would be honest with her – she likely will be uncomfortable for a few days – but in the long run will be MUCH happier and healthier.

Here’s a good  article on pre and post op care for spays:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

• BinkyBunny
                        Posted By bobey miah on 11/03/2006 3:25 AM

Oh, that’s great. I know you may worry though.  What date is she booked?   We can help encourage and calm you as the date gets closer.

Her behaviors should get better once she’s spayed, but note it can take a month or longer for her hormones to die down, so she may not become an angel right away.

Most bunnies don’t like to be picked up, even after they are altered, so that may never change.  But the biting and aggression should stop.   When she tries to bite you, is there anything in particular going on?  Are you just reaching down to pet her, or are you reaching into her territory or ? ? ?.    What sparks it?

• BinkyBunny
                          Posted By Pooperscooper on 11/04/2006 5:36 PM

I just don’t know how to stop them from eliminating on my bed. I have tried chasing them off, making loud noises, spraying water at them, putting a big sheet of plastic over the bed (they just crawl under it).

WELCOME POOPERSCOOPER!  Gravehearted’s suggestion of the x-pens is a good one.  You could also try to spray perfume on your bed, but that may be too heavy for you too?  Sometimes perfume makes a good deterrent.

It sounds like their teenage nightmare stage is starting.   How are they with each other right now?

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR The Sofa!!