Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Teeth problem?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • Karla
      Participant
      1624 posts Send Private Message

I got Jack today, and the previous owner told me that he was a slow eater that has to sniff food for a while before eating. She also told me that he had to have his teeth done at the vet last year because they were not growing properly.

I have put him a cage and given him loads of food. He has dandelions, carrots, suger pees, yummy flower hay and even a yoghurt drop. But I cannot get him to eat. He sniffs and sniffs and seems like he wants to eat…but he doesn’t! He picked up one dandelion and then let it fall again. He eats raisins as the only thing. I wonder if it is nervousness (he doesn’t seem very happy) about being in a new home, or if he has trouble eating anything that need chewing.

What do you guys think? I worry that it might be the teeth, but I don’t know him and I guess that the owner would have noticed if he had not eaten for a while. She will bring his old food tomorrow. She did say that she had to buy some special pellets for him, and that he is extremely picky…but still?

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

I think you need to take him to the vet for a thorough exam and mention about the teeth…I don’t see why she would mention something like that if it weren’t true. If he hasn’t eaten for awhile, well, that’s a problem too and he may be in stasis.

• Karla
          Participant

Well, he just ate a bit of banana and a whole dandelion, so it is progress. I have found a vet with specialty in teeth (mostly cats and dogs though, but it’s better than nothing) very close to where we are moving though so if things are not looking better by Monday morning, we are off to having his teeth checked.

My boyfriend says neither Karl nor Molly wanted to eat when we first got them. Don’t remember, but I hope he is right. And it does sound like he has had bad eating habbits according to the owner. She hasn’t remembered to feed him every day, she’s never given him hay and only vegetables now and then.

Right now he is eating pellets I have soaked in hot water.

• Karla
            Participant

He is making such horrible noises when he sleeps. Wish it was Monday morning very soon. He does poop a bit, thankfully. I feel so sorry for the poor guy. I don’t understand how the owner could not have noticed.

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

I think since he was not taking good care of by his prior owner you are smart to get a check up as soon as you can on him. It’s sad that she could not even remember to give the poor guy pellets and fresh water – how hard can that be.

• RabbitPam
                11002 posts Send Private Message

Wow, the poor little guy.
                  Soaked pellets sounds like a good thing and he goes for it. Maybe less of an assortment of greens and some soft, simple ones like red leaf lettuce. Little slices or cubes of fresh pineapple might be soft and taste good as well instead of treats. Also, you could give him unsweetened canned pumpkin if he is having trouble chewing or digesting, just to keep it soft and healthy.

Definitely see the vet ASAP for a total work up.

• Karla
                  Participant

We checked his teeth this morning…and they are bad!! His incissors are sort of growing into the skin. I could not look at it. I really hope the vet has time for us tomorrow! Only 13 hours to opening hours.

I will try with cubes of fresh pinapples right away ’cause I actually just bought some for myself. Thanks for the suggestions. He is able to eat raisins as well, but it takes a long time.

• bunnytowne
                    Participant
                    7537 posts Send Private Message

Poor guy thats so sad.   Maybe why she didnt’ want him anymore.  

glad you are doing what you are with his moist pellets and stuff so the poor thing can eat something healthy and normal. 

• MooBunnay
                      Participant
                      3087 posts Send Private Message

Oh no! Poor bunny I’m glad you got him so you could take care of him. I wonder if his teeth are messed up because she didn’t give him enough hay? Did she give him hay at all? I bet with healthier teeth and a good diet he will do a lot better. He is probably in a lot of pain when he eats, poor guy

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

I’m sending {{VIBES}} Please keep us posted!!

Also…I know this isn’t what you were posting about, but I couldn’t help but notice

even a yoghurt drop

Yogurt drops are no-no’s, too sweet and some undigestable…I wouldn’t say they are junk food-they are worse. Do your buns a favor and throw them out right now. Give raisins, berries, fruit instead-much healthier and tastier.

• Karla
                          Participant

Hehe, K&K…I know. The owner brought a bag of his food along with his treats, and since I was desperate I was trying to feed him everything.

I will do as you say ’cause when they are in the house, it is easy to give one once in a while. Will do it right away

Anyways, update is that Jack is having his incissors removed as we speak. They were completely curled up, and his molars needed a good trim as well. I’m not exactely sure what the vet was trying to get at, but he sounded as if he was thinking of putting Jack asleep. He asked if I wanted to spend that much money on a rabbit I got for free, but since it is only $300 I don’t see it is a problem. So he said I should come back in 3 months and then we’ll have a look at him and see if his teeth are bad again.

• jerseygirl
                            22345 posts Send Private Message

(((Jack))) Glad someone (you) at least is giving him a chance. They can really thrive once the troublesome teeth are gone. Poor fella. It’ll be interesting to see how he gets on and start to see his personality shine thru after finally getting some TLC.

• bunnytowne
                              Participant
                              7537 posts Send Private Message

OH my I am glad my Cotton didnt’ go to that vet.   Cotton wouldn’t be here now in all his charming charactor.

300 doesnt’ seem like that much.     Glad he will get better I am sure he will be so happy to be able to eat without pain. HE will probably have a whole new personality

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant
                                12067 posts Send Private Message

{{Jack}}

Oh I read a neat article in HRS about rabbits with no incisors. Basically they were saying that people (bunny people) would come offer and scowl at their cords and stuff becasue they weren’t covered or blocked off-and BINGO you don’t have to when your bun has no front teeth!! She basically said all she does is chop the veggies and hay up for the bun and he gets on fine

I cannot for the life of me find it-I’ll keep looking.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Teeth problem?