Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Tater and Spud

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sonn
      Participant
      1810 posts Send Private Message

I haven’t updated in a long long time. School has been kicking my behind. I am not sure why I thought it was a good idea to go back at 37 years old. But I’m freaking out a bit. I wanted to come back with a happy update but I need support from other bunny people. Tater has been at the vets office for nearly a week for GI Stasis. He’s still holding on but is not eating or drinking on his own. I don’t want to lose another bun it is so hard. I’ve taken Spud to visit him several times and he perks up a bit when he is around. I haven’t asked the vet yet but would it be a good idea to let Spud stay with him until he is able to come home or the other thing happens? It is a bunny only area no loud noises or dogs barking just bunnies and the occasional guinea pig. I’m so sad that my boy is going through this.

I came home from work to him hunched in a corner and immediately took him to the vet. He nibbled on a dandelion when we first got there but since then he won’t touch anything unless it is syringe fed and he is so so lethargic. I’m really scared I’m going to lose him. He’s my little demon boy that lives to terrorize my dogs and cats I don’t want that to be over. And poor Spud loves his Tater Tot even Tater just being at the vet for the week he’s not been his spunky self.

GI Stasis sucks.

• Azerane
        4688 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry to hear that you’re going through this, a week is a very long time to be at the vet for GI stasis and to be separated from the bonded buddy. I’d definitely ask the vet about Spud potentially staying at the vet with him, it will probably help his mood and feel safer, could lead to a better recovery.

Do they know the underlying cause of the stasis? To be unwell for that long I would think there would have to be something going on.

• Sonn
            Participant

They are still running tests. So far all of his blood tests etc are normal but his xrays still show a ton of gas buildup. He seemingly came out of it 2 days after being admitted but that night it was like it started all over again.

I will ask his vet if I can bring Spud to stay with him.

• Bam
            16877 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry, Sonn! I suppose they’ve checked his teeth?

• Sonn
                Participant

They have. No spurs or anything. He did have a very slight UTI before this happened but it cleared up quickly. So I’m not sure if that could have set this off.

I dropped Spud off early this morning and got a text a few minutes ago saying he perked up a lot when Spud got there and was now slowly eating a piece of basil and he isn’t fighting the critical care or pain meds currently.

• DanaNM
                8935 posts Send Private Message

Aww I’m so sorry to hear this. I’m very glad you took Spud in to keep him company, hopefully that will really help his recovery. Eating basil is wonderful. <3

I know a lot of vets like to keep a stasis bun until they really see eating and pooping just because many people have a hard time getting enough CC into the bun.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Sonn
                    Participant

They’ve had me come in twice a day to syringe feed him. He’s not really a people bunny except for me so they are trying to minimize his stress as much as possible. But like you said I am rarely able to get the entire amount in him while the vet is able to get it in him no problem.

I just left and he’s hopping around a bit but still hunched over. But he’s also pooping a bit more than he has been.

• prince dorian the bun
                    Participant
                    743 posts Send Private Message

So sorry @Sonn. I hope Tater makes big improvements soon, I am sure having Spud with him is helping him a bunch. It sounds like he is in good hands at the vet too. Please keep us uptodate!

• Sonn
                        Participant

His vet is amazing. I am so thankful that she started working in my town. She called me before leaving this evening and told me he was making progress. He isn’t quite out of it but said that since bringing Spud it was like a whole new bunny. When I went to visit after work he looked so much better. They are going to check his teeth more thoroughly since he started drooling a bit. I just hope he gets to come home soon. It is really weird not to have my boys hanging out on the couch with me when I come home.

• DanaNM

Some pooping is better than no pooping! Stasis recovery can be horribly slow, so hopefully he keeps improving from here!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Sonn
                            Participant

He’s pooping more! They are still really tiny but poops! And they do suspect dental issues now (they didn’t before) as he’s drooling a bit. So his mouth is going to be checked more thoroughly in the morning. He was also a lot perkier when I went to visit him after work. He’s not ready to come home but I don’t feel so hopeless now. It seems Spud being there has helped him a great deal. But I definitely miss my boys being home with me.

• DanaNM

That’s wonderful news! I’m sure Spud is taking great care of him. <3

• LBJ10
                              16908 posts Send Private Message

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear this Sonn! Our cute little Tater Tot! I’m glad Spud has helped him perk up. Hopefully he has turned a corner and is now heading in the right direction.

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                                Participant
                                2512 posts Send Private Message

Between all the worries and bad news, it’s great to hear that Spud is helping him out so much! It’s great that they can be together again!

Hoping for mountains of poop and a speedy recovery!

• Sonn
                                  Participant

Update on Tater! He had a single molar spur that was stabbing him in the tongue. It was removed. Almost as soon as he came out of anesthesia he started eating on his own. Today I got the news that he can come home tomorrow! He’s eating, drinking, pooping, and doing binkies! I’m so relieved.

Participant

Yay! Oh boy, that’s great news!

• DanaNM

That’s wonderful! And glad you were able to find the source of the trouble!!

• prince dorian the bun
                                        Participant

So so very happy Tater is back to normal!  Glad they found the spur and all is good!

• Sonn
                                          Participant

I am so so sorry I haven’t updated. My 6 year old hedgehog passed away simply from old age. So I haven’t felt up to snuff so to speak. I really wish small animals lived longer. But 6 years is almost unheard of for hedgehogs so I’m glad I gave my spiky potato a happy long life and he didn’t die of any diseases and didn’t suffer. He just went to sleep and didn’t wake back up.

I have a bunch of pictures I’ll be uploading soon of my potato patch boys.

But he’s back to his old self. I’m keeping a close eye on his teeth to hopefully prevent this from happening again. The vet’s only complaint is he’s a bit chonky (he looks like a girl with a  dewlap) so now I’m trying to figure out how to feed them separately so Tater doesn’t steal Spuds pellets since Spud likes to take his time with them.

• DanaNM

So relieved the buns are doing better! But very sorry for the loss of your hedgie. <3 Even when it’s old age it doesn’t make it easier!

• Sonn
                                                Participant

It doesn’t make it easier, unfortunately. But I’m glad I got 6 years with him when the average hedgie lives to 3-4. He was a cranky little dude but I loved it.

• Azerane
                                                4688 posts Send Private Message

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your hedgehog, they are such gorgeous little animals.

It is good to hear though that Tater is back home with you and doing well, having room to move at home should also help shed the extra weight gained.

• Sonn
                                                    Participant

Tater is really active. But since bonding with Spud and finding out he can steal Spuds pellets he’s packed on a few pounds.

• LBJ10
                                                    16908 posts Send Private Message

I love hedgies! I had one many years ago. I’m sorry for your loss Sonn. That was a really good age though… but I know it doesn’t make it hurt any less.

I’m very glad to hear the boys are doing better. It’s just sad that it took them so long to figure out what was wrong with Tater Tot. He probably wouldn’t have had to stay at the vet so long had they filed down his spur sooner.

• Sonn
                                                        Participant

Static was a bossy grumpy hog. But I absolutely loved his cranky butt. I’ve had hedgie’s for around 10 years but he is the first to make it to 6 years old. His vets were even shocked that he didn’t end up with a mouth tumor (the most common cause of death in hedgehogs), that he wasn’t overweight, and still had his teeth at 6. I think it was because I refused to feed him cat food which is what most people feed. I’m glad I got 6 years with him. But it will be odd for a while not to hear him begging to come out once it got dark outside.

I really really wish Tater’s vet had caught the spur earlier. She’s a fantastic vet but I’m not sure how it was overlooked. I’m just glad he is home and back to normal. I thought I wasn’t going to get him home again and it was terrifying.

Participant

Sorry for your loss 😥 Even if they’re old it’s always too soon, isn’t it?

• Sonn
                                                            Participant

It’s always too soon. I miss him. It’s always odd once they pass just how much of an impact they had on your day to day life. Even something as small as a hedgehog.

• Sonn
                                                            Participant

When you just got out of the animal hospital and your human is already testing your patience by trying to get you over your fear of strawberries.

Pay no mind to the disaster box as I call it. They love that box and I don’t have the heart to throw it out yet. Lol.

Tater and Spud

• prince dorian the bun
                                                              Participant

Sorry for you losing your Hedgie. I sometimes think the longer we have with them the harder it gets. But 6 years means he got some good care!

I am happy the potato boys are both good!

• Sonn
                                                                  Participant

I always like to think I give the best care possible. Bit of an ego boost when vets comment on their health especially when they get old. I miss him but I know he had a good life.

Potato boys are completely back to normal. Setting them up a catio type deal so they can hang out on my porch with me whenever they want. Lanlord hates it I told her to shove it. Lol.

• prince dorian the bun
                                                                  Participant

I am sure Tater and Spud love it!

• BunnyLass568
                                                                    Participant
                                                                    446 posts Send Private Message

So sorry to hear about your hedgie but I’m so glad that your boys are doing normally!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• Sonn
                                                                      Participant

This year is going terribly. I had to say goodbye to my oldest dog Pig on 5/19 due to complications from Cushing’s disease. I’d like 2022 to be over now thanks.

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Tater and Spud