Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Tanrums at Bedtime – is this normal?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • NHarris
      Participant
      14 posts Send Private Message

Hello again everyone, as you were so helpful last time I thought I’d share my last two days with Currant, my bunny. Since I got him a few weeks ago I have been letting him out of his indoor cage for nearly an hour in the morning and around 5 hours in the evening – usually the same times to get him used to a routine. When he’s ready we will let him out full time but he has a long way to go.

Anyway, for the last two nights he has thrown only what I could call a temper tantrum once back in his cage in the evening (rattling and biting it) – lasting about five minutes – is this normal? He has only just started doing it and I try to make sure he hops in by himself and last night he had already gone in to eat some food at around the time I usually put him in there so I just closed the cage.

His cage, I’ve been told, is big enough for him and he gets to run around for at least 6 hours a day. Is he unhappy? He does his binkis and is really loving with ‘kisses’ etc when he’s out, and he goes into his cage volantarily to eat and go to the toilet.

I don’t want an unhappy bunny so please help if you can. He is now about ten weeks old if that helps.

Thanks in advance xx Neens

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

Hi! My bunnies do that as well. They even have a VERY big ex-pen that they spend the night in and still from time to time they are rattling the cage and biting at it etc. I think they are just trying to see if there is a way they can squeeze or nibble their way back out to visit with you and hop around, but I don’t think it necessarily means they are un happy. If he likes to kiss & groom you he probably just enjoys his time with you and wants to get back out! It sounds like you give him quite a lot of exercise time, and are treating him very well, so maybe letting him have free run of the house, or getting him a bunny buddy is something you can consider for the long term, but in the short term I wouldn’t worry that he’s terribly unhappy. You could try expanding his cage, or putting some more toys in there, do you have toys in it already? You can look at the habitats section in the photo gallery to see some fun cage ideas that keep the buns entertained!

• NHarris
          Participant

Hi MooBunnay, thanks for your help, I just wanted to make sure he’s as happy as possible. He has a couple of chew toys in his cage but nothing else so I’ll take a look at the habitats section like you said. Thanks for your help x

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

I gave my bunnies a couple cardboard boxes and they spend hours chewing on those as opposed to rattling the cage. Be forewarned however that a bunny gnawing on cardboard isn’t much quieter! Also, I made a little “shelf” for my bunnies out of some NIC cubes, and covered it with a carpet square, and they like hanging out underneath or on top of that. Sometimes I think they like to have a little area to “retreat” to a feel secure, so a box, or shelf or something else they can hide under could help. Also, they seem to enjoy playing with sheets, like pillow case sheets. For those, just watch out that your bunny is not chewing and INGESTING the sheet, but they do like to bite at them, which isn’t a problem as long as they aren’t swallowing large amounts of sheet.

• NHarris
              Participant

Ah thanks for your reply – he has a big box which he loves to chew and run in and out of, and also a couple of tea towels and a tunnel – he has these when he’s not in his cage though. His cage is about four times the size of Currant as we got it in mind of him eventually having free reign of our house so there’s room for small chew toys but nothing like a box. Does he need a larger cage while we’re training him – the pet store we went to said the one we got would be fine and I guess is the same size as an outdoor hutch.

Thanks again for your help

• osprey
                Participant
                2065 posts Send Private Message

Our boy bunny DJ used to do that alot too.  Once you’d put him back in the pen, he’d grab the sides with his teeth and rattle like crazy.  I think it is just a form of mild protest and a way to get your attention.  Once DJ was bonded with Curly Sue, he stopped doing this, not sure why.

• poopy
                  Participant
                  684 posts Send Private Message

normal

• Spacehopper
                    Participant
                    540 posts Send Private Message

Posted By MooBunnay on 09/12/2007 8:45 AM
                      I gave my bunnies a couple cardboard boxes and they spend hours chewing on those as opposed to rattling the cage. Be forewarned however that a bunny gnawing on cardboard isn’t much quieter!

NO IT ISN’T!!!!!

When we only had the Bumstar he would initially be put in his cage over night and whilst we were out.  He was NOT a happy bunny.  We had enough one night, and let him out, he was fine.  Now he and Bettie are left out all the time.  Never to be locked up again…just free to make a noise  with their cardoard!!!!!  Arghhh!!! 

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant
                      4293 posts Send Private Message

Oh yes, my two object by chewing on the bars too and even throw fits themselves by throwing their toys around noisily, then they settle down and relent. It’s quite the picture. Bunnies are just like kids.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                        Participant
                        2517 posts Send Private Message

Just think of it as them wanting to be with you bad enough to try to coerce you into letting them back out!

• jellyrose
                          Participant
                          111 posts Send Private Message

We had 2 large dog crates as our bunnies hide out but we had to take them down! Even though we left the door open all the time they would get in there and stand rattling the bars until some body came to see them! I’m sure it’s an attention thing. It’s so cute that they want your attention…. that is until they do it at 2am! My advise would be to leave him rattling until he settles, if you go to him when he’s doing this he will realise that it gets your attention and he’ll end up like our little monsters and do it all the time!!! They are cleaver little fuzzies! : )

• NHarris
                            Participant

Ah that’s so true – the first night he started rattling I went to see what was up with him and spent loads of timw with him trying to get him to stop. The last couple of nights I have just left him (as you would with a child!) and he stops pretty much straight away They really are just like kids – sooo cute. Currant’s personality is really beginning to shine through.

Thank you for everyone’s help x

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Tanrums at Bedtime – is this normal?