Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Switching His Hay

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Marzipan The Bunny
      Participant
      73 posts Send Private Message

Hi! So I’ve been looking into ordering hay online from the Binky Bunny Website and found a mini hay bale with 70% Blue Grass, 20% Timothy Hay, and 10% Orchard grass. Mars is four months old and has been eating Timothy Hay before I even adopted him ( He hates Alfalfa!) Should I switch him to the variety Hay diet or just keep him on Timothy hay? And if I do switch him to the variety hay how do I do it?

• Sirius&Luna
        Participant
        2319 posts Send Private Message

Changing hay doesn’t cause any stomach upsets like changing vegetables or pellets suddenly might. So you can just switch him one day to the next, it doesn’t need to be gradual.

Some bunnies are very picky though, and will only eat a certain type of hay. It’s nice to give them a variety, since hay is their main food, but it’s not essential. I just give my bunnies high quality Timothy hay, but I add exciting toppers (like dried flowers, leaves and herbs) to make it more interesting for them. I buy hay in 9kg bags, so once I have a bit more space, I will be swapping their diet to a mixture of hays.

• sarahthegemini
          Participant
          5584 posts Send Private Message

It’s up to you really but I personally think a variety is better. With hay, you can switch immediately without causing any gastric distress. You just have to ensure he likes the new hay enough so if I were you, I’d get the mini bale whilst you still have some of the timothy left so you don’t end up stuck if he doesn’t like the bale

• Marzipan The Bunny
            Participant
            73 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for replying! I buy the big bags of hay, too so I will probably wait till it’s 3/4 empty and then see if he likes the variety hay. Mars is just a fluffy vacuum so I’m pretty sure he will love the variety hay. ?

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Switching His Hay