Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE supplements: vitamins and bi-odor

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • PocketFaeries
      Participant
      81 posts Send Private Message

Once again, I emerge with yet another dietary question, LOL!   Sorry for asking so many of them, but I really believe that diet is so key to animal health.

I purchased a bottle of bunny vitamins, 8 in 1 brand "Ultra Vite Vita-Sol Liquid Multivitamins."  It states it is a "high potency daily supplement for rabbits and guinea pigs" on the bottle.

Because of the sketchy and scarce nutritional past that Finn came with, I thought it would be wise to offer a bit of vitamin support this first week. I have added the drops as directed to Finn’s water 3 times (on 3 separate days).   I feel that this extra boost was appropriate to help restore nutrients to Finn’s body.  However, I am not sure about whether vitamins are needed or beneficial long term, everyday.  Finn’s current diet consists of Brown’s Jr. Bunny Growth Formula Daily Diet (for rabbits 8 to 20 weeks of age), Timothy Hay, and gradually, more and more fresh greens and a bit of carrot. 

Would you (as in, anyone replying) recommend continuing with the vitamins, or just keeping them on hand but not providing regularly? 

Also, I am curious about another supplement I’ve seen online:  Marshall Bi-Odor Internal Waste & Urine Deodorizer.  Has anyone used this?  Is it truly safe and natural?  Is it recommended? 

Thanks once again for educating me on these things! Jen xoxo

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

I believe he will get plenty of the vitamins with the Brown’s Jr’s and veggies. I did try this stuff you are talking about a long time ago and I always wondered if it altered the taste of the water and maybe would keep my rabbit from drinking as much water as they needed. I think if you think Finn might need extra vitamins you should discuss it with the vet if at a later date he might need it. I think now he is in a healthy and stress free environment too and I think that counts for alot.

I wouldn’t use the Bi-Odor internal water and urine deodorizer – to tell the truth I don’t know what’s in it, but I don’t like the way it sounds, it doesn’t sound like something I would put in my own body. You can control the odor more safely with the right litter and once Finn is altered that will help the odor as well in my opinion.

• PocketFaeries
          Participant
          81 posts Send Private Message

Thanks again, Sarita!

I actually wondered the same thing about the taste of the water, and I’ve got to tell you…I sniffed the vitamins and you really can smell them, so I’m sure it does add a taste.  Finn didn’t seem to mind it, but as long as s/he’s getting the right nutrients from direct food sources, I won’t need to use them.   I used to take vitamins myself daily in a liquid form…they smelled just like the bunny vitamins and they made my pee look very bright yellow…so I wonder if the same would happen for bun buns? LOL

The Bi-Odor thing really intrigues me.  I will share more if I find more info…but I’ve seen it online in several places and it says "all natural" and "vet recommended" so I’m just curious about WHAT is all natural in it, and WHY vets recommend, hee hee hee.

I should clear Finn’s good name by clarifying that presently, there is no odor to speak of really.  Finn is young and hasn’t gotten into any unsavory habits just yet.    Finn has peed on our couch a few times (it doesn’t seem to have any odor at all), but I do think the litterbox is getting used as well.  I will keep you updated but in the meantime, will rely on diet for nutrients and good litter for odor control.    Thanks!

• Gravehearted
            Participant
            2428 posts Send Private Message

I’ve heard people post online about the bi-odor, but also would be cautious about it.
              Although it says vet recommended – think of all the junk they tell us is recommended for humans – ha ha!

• Vinnie D.
              Participant
              55 posts Send Private Message

I used the vitamins on Nel when she was younger, and she actually seemed to enjoy the taste of her water with the vitamin drops added. She’s grown quite healthy, and I’ve since ceased using them. They’re probably not necessary but might make a decent immune booster if you’re dealing with a sickly rabbit. Otherwise if you’re feeding your bunny a diet of quality pellets, hay and fresh leafy veggies it’s probably getting all the vitamins it needs.

Now I just wish I could manage my own diet half as well as I do that of my bunny. heheheh.

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits generally do not need an additional vitamin supplement and to get them back on track, feed a balanced diet and lots of love.  Rabbits get their vitamins from their cecal droppings and so I would think it would interfere with it.  I would talk to a vet about it further and I would not even bother with keeping them on hand or administering them. Here is an article on cecotropes:
                   http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/cecals.html

As for the Bio-Odor, I saw a rabbit once that was on it and it didn’t look too healthy and the fur was real dry.  I would hesitate to use something that is only for the purpose of reducing odor.  The Aspen Supreme works great in the litterbox. 

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

I ditto what everyone has said. I do have personal experience with odor reducing type products. A long time ago before I knew much about bunnies, I was interested in that too. I asked a rabbit savvy vet about it, and she had said that though it may not directly harm your bunny, some bunnies will drink less water because of the taste of it, and that is not good, so to watch the water intake. My bunny did not want to drink the water at all. I noticed that right away, and so I stopped using it. Then, after he was neutered, the smell of his urine became much less pungent, so it wouldn’t have been needed in the first place.

I also second the Aspen Supreme. I mix it with Yesterday’s News as I don’t like too strong of a woodsy smell, but seriously, it really seems to take care of the odor – not just mask it.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE supplements: vitamins and bi-odor