Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Supervision after spaying

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • xnovalentine
      Participant
      309 posts Send Private Message

Lulla has finally reached the point when it’s aparent the teenage hormones are taking over – as evidenced by the scratches on my neck and several thumps and growls.

I am prepared to spay her ASAP – however, I would like your suggestions on me being around after the spaying. Obviously I know that i need to watch her after the process has taken place – but i’m wondering how many days will it take for her to get the point where she doesn’t need me around all the time,.

to better put what i am trying to say – since i’m not home all day and only home in the evenings – if i spay her on a thursday- will my 24 hour supervison be okay for just friday, saturday and sunday? i asked the vet how the procedure will be carried out and its my understanding that she will be kept overnight after the surgery.

I’m not sure how fast bunnies recover after the spaying so that is why i am asking this question. i would be willing to wait until december when i will only be working in the afternoons and around more in the daytime, however i would also like to get this done ASAP for the sake of my carpet and the pee stains that are now on the couch. (lol) I also want to give her more freedom – as that would make her a much happier bunny.

what are you’re thoughts on this idea?

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

I recently did post spay care for one of our rescue buns.  The first 36 hours or so were hard for her.  I was giving her Metacam for pain, and I had to work at getting her to eat again.  I tempted her with small pieces of apple a few times a day, plus I got her to eat some parsely by bonking her in the nose (gently of course) to get her to nip at them and take a few bites. 

If you are going to be out of the house during the day, I think you’ll be OK.  make sure she gets her pain meds in the morning and that you get some food into her.  Then work on getting her to eat at night.  Many folks here on BB have done spay care recently, maybe others can comment on their experience.

• BinkyBunny
          8776 posts Send Private Message

I think that is great that hyou are planning the surgery closer to the weekend so you can make sure to have closer supervision.  The first 24 – 48 hours is important to see how she is doing and usually after the third day , females should be starting to feel better, but if there are any problems, like in need of pain meds or need "encouragment" to eat, it will usually happen the next morning and day after surgery.

This link below gives some great post care tips.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html#pre-post-care

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

if you were to do that you may also want to ask your vet who to contact/ where to go, in case of an emergency on saturday and sunday… if the doctor can’t be reached.

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

It usually takes a full 48 hours for a female to get back to normal. Do not expect that 24 hours she will be back to normal, that will not happen. I do think that if this is not something that you are comfortable with that you do it at the beginning of the week so you can have your vets support the rest of the week. The first 24 hours after you pick her up, she will be getting over the pain meds and anesthesia so a 48 hour recovery is truly more realistic.

• MooBunnay
                Participant
                3087 posts Send Private Message

I have had to do post spay care several times, and have found that as many people have already mentioned, it takes a female about 2-3 days to return to normal. One time I had a spayed girl at my house and was working at not able to supervise her during the day while she was recovering. Something that I always do to ensure a bunny doesn’t injure their “spayed area” is I give them a carrier (with the door taken out) as a litterbox for the first few days. This way they only have to walk into the carrier and do not jump in and hurt themselves by bumping into the side of the litterbox. Also, I would leave a nice little pile of parsley, apple slices and carrots and such in the corner of the cage to tempt them to eat. Keep good track of how many treats and pellets you give them so you can determine if they have eaten anything or not. Also, just in case, keep an eye dropper handy in case you want to force feed a bit of water or mushed up pellets.

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

Sarita has made a good point about the beginning of the week. I am lucky that my vet’s office is open seven days a week. IF you don’t have a weekend vet you can take your bunny to, then do like Beka suggested, get the information you’d need for a rabbit savvy weekend vet, or plan like Sarita said in the beginning of the week, and hopefully like MooBunnay, you can check on your bunny during the day.

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message

Yes, I always worry about Friday spays, since if there’s a problem or concern over the next few days the vet’s office is generally closed. With 24 hour care, I’ve found it to be spotty at best, since it’s the luck of the draw if you’ll get a vet who knows anything about rabbits or not 🙁

• Molotov
                      Participant
                      51 posts Send Private Message

Is there anyone at the vets office overnight? I really wouldn’t leave her there overnight if there isn’t a tech that stays through the night (most non-er vets I’ve found do NOT) Not to scare you or anything but she would be much safer at home with you to check on her periodically, in her own home and cage than near a bunch of kennels filled with cats and dogs and weird smells and noises to frighten her. Dunno, I lost a dog a few years back due to the vet keeping him there over night when no one was there he went into shock and died, made me paranoid.

• Molotov
                        Participant
                        51 posts Send Private Message

Both of my girls (a netherland dwarf and a fuzzy lop mix) were brought home later the same day of their spays. (I think the vet preformed the surgery around 11 and i picked up at 4) I kept them quiet and away from any excitement and they recovered well at home.

• Beka27
                          Participant
                          16016 posts Send Private Message

^^^it was the same with Meadow… i dropped her off in the morning and picked her up later in the afternoon.  i too would’ve worried more with her being away from me overnight.  she was very very out of it… so i put a blanket in her cage and she hardly moved from it the first 24 hours.  see if the vet would allow you to take her home.

• Firsttimer
                            Participant
                            144 posts Send Private Message

I am also thinking of getting my rabbit spayed on a Thursday as I have a Thursday and Friday off work and would then be free to watch her over the weekend, my husband also has the Monday to watch her.  The time I have off is the weekend of December 14th and she is booked to go to rabbit boarding from December 23rd for the Christmas hols as I can’t take her to my parents for christmas because of their Scottish Terrier. Should I wait to have her spayed in the new year? I’m worried that she will still be recovering when I put her into rabbit boarding and she also hates to be lifted.

• Gravehearted
                              Participant
                              2428 posts Send Private Message

my guess is if her spay is on the 14th that she’ll be pretty close to healed by the 23rd and already acting like her normal self.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Supervision after spaying