Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Super Pet Rollin’ the hay feeder

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • tdwp2481
      Participant
      42 posts Send Private Message

I was wondering if anyone else uses this I was wondering if it was safe for the bunnies because today I saw Andy pushing at it then his foot got caught between the ball and the hanger and he freaked out then got his foot free but this is the only problem I’ve seen so far but I don’t want it to be a risk so does anyone else use this? And would a normal hanging hay feeder work with the 1 and a half inch NIC cage? 

Heres what the feeder looks like.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753304

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

hay is such an important part of a bunny’s diet (the MOST important!) that you don’t want to inhibit them from eating it in any way.  we’ve had mixed results with this.  i had it for my mini rex and we hung it up.  she ate almost NO HAY from it.  it was too much work for her.  we let it roll around, she’d eat a little bit of hay, but then stop.  also, it was very hard for me to fill it up.  what i ended up doing was leaving off one end and letting it sit in her cage like that.  my bunny loves to dig her face into the hay so she can scarf it up and the hay ball was not conducive to that.  once i took one end off, she would eat her normal amount of hay again.

what has worked better for me is having an open plastic container for hay.  it’s just a one-dollar container from wal-mart.  it’s big enough to hold maybe 20 cds.  i anchor it to the side of the cage with a ziptie and dogclip and i now have it positioned over the litterbox (this is an older pic!)  plus, now that we have two bunnies, i know we always have enough for both of them for the whole day…

if his foot is getting stuck in it i’d be very concerned.  rabbits are fragile and they can get injured easily.  esp. since they will panic and try to get it off, it could be a danger.  they’re new bunnies right?  what you might do is just put a couple handfuls of hay in the litterbox for now.  that way they will have free access to their hay and you can work on potty-training, or cementing the good potty habits.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

I have one, I don’t use it to feed hay as like Beka says they don’t eat too much out of it. I DO use it as a toy for them though, stuff it with hay and give it to them; It’s very versative, you can have it free standing, hang on the cage or take the support off it and give them the ball. If they play with their food it both engages them and gets them to eat more hay

• BunnyMuffin
            Participant
            350 posts Send Private Message

I have two hayracks – and the hay ball is one of them. They always eat all the hay out of the other rack first, and then eat out of the ball. But it always gets empty – so it can’t be too difficult for them! But I would also be concerned about it if his foot is getting stuck. Noelle does the “Price is Right” spin, but I’ve never seen her foot get stuck anywhere. I also have both of my hay racks hanging on the NIC cubes, without a problem.

• LittlePuffyTail
              18092 posts Send Private Message

My Mom bought one of these for my rabbits but I don’t use it because I’m too paranoid of a nail getting caught in it. I gave it to Bindi and he became terribly angry at not getting the hay out fast enough and started throwing it around in a tantrum so I worried he might hurt himself with it. I like to feed my hay on the floor as I feel this is the most natural way for a rabbit to “graze”.

• MooBunnay
                Participant
                3087 posts Send Private Message

My bunnies have the habit of pooping wherever they eat their hay, so I cover their litter with a layer of hay in their litterboxes, and then some of them have a hay rack that hangs over their litterbox, very similar to Beka’s. I remember that awhile ago, Osprey recommended using one of those silverware holders from Ikea and zip tying it to the side of the cage.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Super Pet Rollin’ the hay feeder