Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Super affectionate rabbit suddenly becoming aggressive?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Jams
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

So the title explains it pretty well but essentially my lop Miffy who I’ve had for a little over four months (she’s past six months old, yet to be spayed because of some sudden finance things popping up) has always been really affectionate with me from word go with the licking, binkies, purring, flopping over etc. but this past week she has started biting me (I now have a bruise on my hand) scratching and isn’t licking me much at all which she used to do constantly. The only time I can get her to settle and go back to her usual self is if I force petting her until she gives in and starts purring but she has been mostly refusing head pats and as soon as I stop she goes back to hurting me. I imagine it’s probably a hormonal issue but she’s been fairly obvious with the hormones kicking in for over a month now and she never got aggressive. I can’t think of anything I would’ve done to piss her off either? Please help I feel as if I’m going crazy and my best friend suddenly despises me. 😥

• Bam
        16872 posts Send Private Message

I still think this is part of her transition from toddler to teenager. It’s a part of growing up. Even iftou spay a rabbit as early assposdible (circa 6 months), it wont stay a baby. Babies are trusting of and cuddly with their “parents”, but at some point, the rabbit will mature into adulthood.

Having your un spayed will likely make her less aggressive towards you, but perhaps not right away. It’s wise to call around to several vets about what they charge for a spay. The price can vary quite a lot between vets even in the same area.

• Jams
            Participant

I’ve asked around all the nearby vets but I live in a pretty empty part of Australia and so there’s not many vets in the area I’d be comfortable sending her to, we have rough plans to get it done in a month or so it’s just because I have a lot of health issues and had some big medical bills recently and the weather here is making food super expensive. Definitely getting it done as soon as possible! Thank you for confirming that it’s essentially just the age range and hormones causing her behaviour 🙂

• LBJ10
            16899 posts Send Private Message

Yes, unfortunately the changes can be like flipping a light switch. Is she boxing or lunging at you? Or is she just coming up to you and casually trying to take a chunk out of your hand? The former can be interpreted as aggression, the latter is more them exploring things and testing their boundaries. If your bunny is simply nipping you (and yes, nipping can seem like they are trying to take a chunk of flesh), then you can try letting out a high pitched squeal to let her know that she is hurting you. Some bunnies respond to this very well.

• Jams
                Participant

Sorry for the late reply been rather busy these days but she’s essentially running up to me to go scratch and bite me, especially when I slouch (she goes and bites my elbow) and then leaves again.
                  I read about the squealing elsewhere and have been trying it for the past few days and it’s been working quite well! Thank you for the tips 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Super affectionate rabbit suddenly becoming aggressive?