Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Sunflower Stalk Toys?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • MooseMouse
      Participant
      49 posts Send Private Message

Hey all

I noticed at the pet store today they were selling Dried Sunflower Stalks on a rope for bunnies.

I have sunflowers growing in my garden and was thinking hey! Free toys!

Has anyone tried dried sunflower toys or I guess even fresh sunflower stalks with their buns? Or tried drying them yourself?

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry no one responded to this! I haven’t tried this myself but sunflower stalks are safe for bunnies!

Did you end up trying it out?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• MooseMouse
            Participant
            49 posts Send Private Message

Not yet! my sunflowers are still growing haha the heatwave has made my dwarf sunflowers at least 6 feet tall now!  I am definitely going to try it though I still need to research how to dry them properly it should be fun

• DanaNM

Now I’m wondering if I can get my hands on some organic sunflowers for my buns. I think the farm we get our produce from grows them, maybe when they cut the flowers they could give us extra stalks? Hmmmmm

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
              16877 posts Send Private Message

Whatever you dry, it should be completely dry when you package it. Its a good idea to check (feel with your fingers) the dried goods for moisture a day our so after you’ve put it in bags or jars, because residual moisture will give mold and bacteria the chance to thrive. Thicker stems will dry better and more quickly  if you cleave them.

The best thing is to use a fruit-or mushroom dryer (for drying leaves herbs stems and flower petals etc you  dont need a fancy pricey dryer). Normal oven on a low setting also works well, but keep in mind that keeping the oven hatch slightly ajar during the drying process might damage the oven.

If you have the space in your home you can dry plants by hanging them up and just waiting, unless you live in a place where ambient humidity is very high.

• Wick & Fable
                  5782 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit knowledge has grown, learning that there are fruit- and mushroom-specific food dryers.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM

Oohhh my husband bought a food dehydrator for drying seaweed samples (during the pandemic when he couldn’t access his lab)… I could use it for drying things for the buns!

Viewing 4 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Sunflower Stalk Toys?