Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Suggestions

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • angelicvampyre
      Participant
      754 posts Send Private Message

I found out about a rabbit that needs a new home, he is an ex breeder (like my Bugz was) and is not desexed.  Now both my guys are desexed and I want to do a bunny date and see how it goes but I am worried about it as “Billy” is not.  I don’t really want to take on a rabbit pay all the money to have them desexed and then find out that he hates my guys or vice versa.  Does anyone have any suggetions?  Or am I biting of more then I can chew?

• Elrohwen
        Participant
        7318 posts Send Private Message

A local rescue operator (for 15 years) told me that, in her experience, if bunnies get along reasonably well before one is fixed, they will get along well after fixing. She said that’s not the standard thing to say, but in her experience it has worked out like that. If they hate each other before fixing they may hate each other or be neutral after fixing, but a decided like before fixing will usually remain. She has a lot of experience so I think her experience probably holds true in most situations. And, of course, that assessment is only true for a quick intro in neutral space.

• mrmac
          Participant
          2156 posts Send Private Message

Is this a different bunny than the one from the pet store?

• jerseygirl
            22345 posts Send Private Message

Neutered on not – the question is: Are you ready for a 3rd and are you prepared for housing him separate if they “hate each other” or never bond? Because there is a small chance that this could happen. A situation that any of us could face in bringing home a 2nd, 3rd, 4th rabbit etc. Yes, bunny dating and positive intros all help in the bonding process – but they are not guarantees of success. My opinion: A great 1st intro does not equal 100% chance of a bond. A volatile 1st meeting does not equal 0% chance of a bond. If anything, it might just give you an idea of how much work is going to be involved in bonding.

I’m not sure I’ve understood correctly…

I don’t really want to take on a rabbit pay all the money to have them desexed and then find out that he hates my guys or vice versa. 

By this, do you mean this would be the alternate route if not doing a bunny date?  That you’d take him, get him fixed, then introduce them?

Or do you mean you’d do the date, take him if all goes well then fear that after he is fixed all would not be well?

Sorry if I’ve been so confusing!

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Jersey’s confusing post… lol. There is a real possibility that you’d end up with a pair and a single permanently. And you’ve been around on BB long enough to know that this situation USUALLY results in 2 pairs. It’s those “magically multiplying speutered bunnies”!

If you’re committed to the rabbit, regardless of the outcome, do it. He needs a home.

If you’re committed to only having *one group* of bunnies, then be aware that this might not happen. Or it might take months of hard work to get them to that point. It can be done. We have enough people with trios to show that it does work out sometimes, but the number of people with 2 or 3 separate rabbits is much, much higher.

I have also considered a third in the past… but I’m very fortunate to have the well-behaved, bonded, perfectly litter-trained buns I have now. I am too afraid to “rock the boat” and ruin the dynamic in our house. I have an itty, bitty house, no room for another xpen set-up. And I don’t have a lot of free time for additional bunny chores or bonding sessions. Therefore, I am sticking with two.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Suggestions